Discouraging Hole Digging by putting his poop in the hole? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Discouraging Hole Digging by putting his poop in the hole?

Someone recommended this to me. Anyone have any experience? He repeatedly tries to dig the same hole in the same place.

Last edited by Frisco19; 09-10-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Someone recommended this to me. Anyone have any experience? He repeatedly tries to did the same hole in the same place.
My pup was digging, but I put a large black plastic bag in with some dog repellent in it. He started digging other place. I got him a play pen where he is allowed to dig.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmonte View Post
My pup was digging, but I put a large black plastic bag in with some dog repellent in it. He started digging other place. I got him a play pen where he is allowed to dig.

What dog repellent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 AM

I've put poop in holes before. I figured the reason the dogs were digging is because they were chasing moles / voles. I hoped putting poop in the holes would help deter the critters from returning to that spot. The best way to reduce digging is to deal with why the dog is digging. Some causes are easier to fix than others.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 AM
Crowned Member

That sounds like it can be messy. I just say knock it off. Luna may dug up my entire slate patio if I did not supervise her outside as a pup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
What dog repellent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bought from walmart. It seems to be working with him. But he is very sensitive to stuff anyways.
Attached Images

Frisco19 likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmonte View Post
I bought from walmart. It seems to be working with him. But he is very sensitive to stuff anyways.
Hmmm, thanks, thinking I could spread that along my mulch. The bugger loves to dig in my mulch.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Crowned Member

I just tell them no and redirect them. They grow out of it.
sit,stay likes this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 AM
Master Member

I was having the same issue. But it was 2yr old. Just random 4 inch holes all around the backyard. Not the common long shallow digging they do to lay in cool dirt. My backyard was a mine field of tripping hazards. I did put poop in the holes, and those holes were left alone. The ones I didn’t put poop in were dug up again.

What finally stopped the digging? Constantly being out with him (thank god for the mobility chair!) and corrected him with a verbal “attt” when he would start. I also gave him an area he could dig in, and he doesn’t seem all that interested anymore and dug there maybe once or twice. But I also started giving him jobs outside, but I think your pup is too young for that yet. We’d put his backpack on him with weights, or let him pull his sled around with weights.

He typically goes back to digging if he isn’t worked enough, so I’m not sure about it working on a pup, but could t hurt to try! My pups don’t dig.

I don’t know about the mulch, we have heavy river rock. The dogs would race through it chasing each other and knock the rocks out, and then we had a mine field of rocks and holes. We just fenced off that area (which also has access to the pool) and now no more holes or rocks everywhere. And the grass is finally starting to come back in too. That was a combo of upping mental/physical stimulation, constant watching when he was outside with verbal corrections, and the fence, but the fence was just so they couldn’t go swimming whenever they wanted to.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Someone recommended this to me. Anyone have any experience? He repeatedly tries to dig the same hole in the same place.
Unless he already hates poop enough to avoid it, its probably not going to have much of an effect. I'd bet that a lot of people who thought it did, also interrupted it and or corrected for it. I'd just pay attention for a little while and make sure he know's what leave it means.

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in