Best Tick Collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Best Tick Collar

Hello

Which is the best tick collar for dogs and other pets?

Please advise anyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Your two decent options are Seresto or Scalibor. They're both the "new" generation of flea collars that are vastly better than the old, cheap ones. They last several months too, so they're very cost-effective. However, water can effect their usefulness. Also, they need to be snug against the dog (not tight, and definitely not loose) in order to work as designed.

I wouldn't consider any other flea/tick collar -- definitely not any of the cheap-o versions sold at mass retailers.

If you have cats, ask the vet whether these are safe to use with cats around -- I'm honestly not sure about that, as I don't live with them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 PM

I put the seresto collar on Shasta because we were traveling to an area that may have ticks. She started vomiting a few hours later, and continued every hour for most of the evening. I took it off and gave her a bath to get the poison off of her. She finally stopped vomiting.

I hear lots of horror stories about the seresto. Other than that, I have no advice.

Luckily I don't live in an area that has ticks at this moment!

I wish you luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 PM

Seresto was very effective for my 2 dogs and cat at the time. You trim them to size and I even put the scraps in my vacuum canister.... anyway, despite their effectiveness, one of my dogs experienced hair loss after about a month, so I just stopped using them for all 3.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 PM
Master Member

I had horrible results with Seresto for my cats. They were indoor/outdoor, and still managed to get ticks and fleas. We finally just went with a chewable when our building was tented and fogged for termites, because the fogging killed everything, and I didn’t want the cats bringing in live critters after that. I’d seen a few fleas hopping on the carpet before the fog so I’m sure it would have gotten much worse if it hadn’t been fogged. And the lost fur with the collars as well. And if the groomed each other, it was likely one would lick the collar. I haven’t tried the other brand though. I do not have the cats anymore either, but the dogs have always stayed flea/tick free with the chewable
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM
Master Member

Hmm, vet tech and another customer in the pet shop raved about the Seresto.
The vet tech said that because her dogs love to swim, the Seresto lasts a much shorter time for them.
However neither mentioned any bad effects from the collar.

( Yea, my Great Dane had one of the "old fashioned" flea/tick collars and it didn't work at all! Our house was always infested with fleas, everybody had itchy little red bites on their ankles in the warm seasons. That collar was so useless! But this was in the 80s...hopefully the new collars are better!)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 AM

I always took the collars off when my dogs swam.... not sure why others don’t.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 PM

I live in northern Minnesota, and although you may not think it, we live in a huge tick region. It also isn’t a well known fact that any 48 hour period with temps at 32 degrees or higher activate ticks and can create a problem. For that reason, even in northern Minnesota it is recommended that we have our animals on tick protection all 12 months of the year. I vaccinate Victor against Lyme Disease as well as have him on a flea and tick repellant all year. In my opinion tick collars are worthless. I use a monthly chewable called Simparica, as do most of the dog owners I know in our area. Just my two cents worth 😀
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in