Chicken Necks - treat, meal, supplement? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Chicken Necks - treat, meal, supplement?

Just got myself a 5lbs bag. New to chicken necks. Pup is 14 weeks. They came frozen and I defrosted the whole bag. Man are there a lot. Wondering if I should refreeze so they don’t spoil before I can use them.

Anyhow, I have him 5 as a meal last night. I was surprised at how small they were. How should I be using these? As a snack/treat? Meal? How many?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Master Member

That is a lot of bone, watch out for him struggling to poop. If you want to feed raw do your research, there is ALOT of info out there about how to do it correctly. With a young puppy each meal needs to be properly balanced. Chicken necks alone are not a balanced meal.

If you don't want to feed raw I would use the necks as a treat. I like to feed that sort of thing frozen because it slows a dog down. I lay out stuff like necks on a cooking sheet, freeze and then repackage so they stay frozen individually.

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

https://rawfedandnerdy.com/

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Chicken Necks - treat, meal, supplement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
That is a lot of bone, watch out for him struggling to poop. If you want to feed raw do your research, there is ALOT of info out there about how to do it correctly. With a young puppy each meal needs to be properly balanced. Chicken necks alone are not a balanced meal.

If you don't want to feed raw I would use the necks as a treat. I like to feed that sort of thing frozen because it slows a dog down. I lay out stuff like necks on a cooking sheet, freeze and then repackage so they stay frozen individually.

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

https://rawfedandnerdy.com/

Thanks. I’m doing a raw hybrid per my breeder. Kibble with fish oil, Nupro, chicken broth once a day. Raw the other meal. He’s getting all the nutrients he needs from the kibble feeding. The raw is usually chicken thighs or drums or beef ribs. Poop is perfect.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 09:52 AM
Master Member

If you are doing a hybrid, you still need to make sure both meals are balanced. If your relying on the kibble for all his daily needs and feed the about of kibble required all in one meal, and then give him a ton of raw anything at his second meal, it’s not balanced. If you’re given him a reduced amount of kibble than the daily recommended amount, and trying to make up the rest with raw, it’s still not balanced as far as the chicken necks go.

I would still put in the time to research like crazy, 14 weeks is young to get those ratios wrong. I tried to go raw. My head spun at all the information, and what to feed in what amount. I had each meal separated individually into 2 weeks of meals for 2 adult dogs. Wasn’t cheap. Should have just tried one meal to start with. Neither dog would touch any of the raw meat. Not frozen, not thawed, not half cooked if it was bone free. So I had stuff in my freezers that cost more than it would to feed my family for two weeks, and it was useless to us. None of us enjoy organs and necks and tripe, etc. I tried once a week until it all ran out, and the most they would do was a quick sniff and lick, and then give me a dirty look and run off 😂

Until you get the raw balance down, I’d stick with kibble at both meals with a raw “treat” now and then.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 10:09 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Until you do more research I would use the necks for treats. Talk to your breeder, read, ask questions. Raw is not that hard (though I have never mixed it with kibble), but you do have to pay attention to what you feed making sure to include multiple protein sources (4-5 over time) and organ meats. Tripe is not needed (for those that hate the smell), but many dogs love it.

Necks can be used as part of a meal. You just balance out the bone with other muscle meats. I wean my litters to raw and I don't tend to use necks beyond little puppy stage because of their size.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Until you do more research I would use the necks for treats. Talk to your breeder, read, ask questions. Raw is not that hard (though I have never mixed it with kibble), but you do have to pay attention to what you feed making sure to include multiple protein sources (4-5 over time) and organ meats. Tripe is not needed (for those that hate the smell), but many dogs love it.

Necks can be used as part of a meal. You just balance out the bone with other muscle meats. I wean my litters to raw and I don't tend to use necks beyond little puppy stage because of their size.

Thank you. This is the info I was looking for. His diet is balanced. I read on these forums that chicken necks are good for the ears so I though I would buy some. Just wanted some input on what to do with them.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Do you know if chicken and duck feet are okay to give to dogs past the puppy stage or are those too small, too? We've never given them to the dogs before, but I was looking into it recently.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Thanks. I’m doing a raw hybrid per my breeder. Kibble with fish oil, Nupro, chicken broth once a day. Raw the other meal. He’s getting all the nutrients he needs from the kibble feeding. The raw is usually chicken thighs or drums or beef ribs. Poop is perfect.

Not really. If he's only eating half the recommended kibble in a day, thats only half the nutrients and chicken necks, thighs, or ribs only is no where near a balanced diet. Feeding him like that is one of those things that's ok, until it isn't. Problems pop up out of the blue.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Not really. If he's only eating half the recommended kibble in a day, thats only half the nutrients and chicken necks, thighs, or ribs only is no where near a balanced diet. Feeding him like that is one of those things that's ok, until it isn't. Problems pop up out of the blue.

Ok, before I reply with how much kibble i feed him. How much puppy chow kibble would you recommend I feed a 30lbs pup a day?

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Unread 09-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Whats the recommended amount? Are you saying you feed the full amount in the first meal and the 2nd meal is just added on?

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page