Bad News from the breeder - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 72Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Bad News from the breeder

I recently got some bad news from my girl’s breeder. Her mother was recently euthanized due to mammary glad tumor that was cancerous.
I was told a lot of things that turned out to be a lie two years ago and instead of fighting in court over my deposit, I brought my girl home anyways. Too make a long story short I should have done better research at the beginning instead of trusting someone who turned out to be very unethical.

Here we are 2 years and 4 months later and I get the news that grace has been euthanized. My question is what steps can I take to help my girl beat the odds. So far she’s very active and healthy, no lumps or bumps can be felt by me or the vet. And one important question is if I get her fixed now will that help her chances any? I didn’t get her fixed because I was advised to wait till two by the vet. She has not had any puppies either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:07 PM
Master Member

Genetics are genetics...but IMO She's over 2 years anyway so... Yes ... get her spayed now and you'll decrease her chances of getting that type of cancer.....btw- kudos to your vet that can be rare to find one that by the age of 6 months is not giving the spay/neuter speech.....

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

A retired (holistic, accredited clinic) said that the protection of spay against mammary cancer is gone after the first heat. Most cancers can be removed with good outcomes. Most...not all of course. The remaining issue is pyometra, especially close pyo but if you know your dog well and the signs and are alert about the slightest behavior changes, then a spay will most likely get her well.
Enjoy your life with your dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with the spay. What does your vet say about it?

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

The vet recommended spaying as well. She said it couldn’t hurt but was very firm with me that detection is key.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Master Member

My 9yr old GSD had a mammary tumor. It was found when she was about 2-4 (don’t know her true age, the vet estimated 2-4 when I got her). At that point, it was not causing any discomfort or pain, and was benign. At the age of 9, it started to grow and become uncomfortable for her when she would lay down. We had the tumor removed and had her spayed. She’s doing great! I know it’s much easier to say than do, but don’t stress until there is something to stress about!

My girl had been a BYB breeding bitch prior to me getting her, and she had been bred at every cycle, including her first. The vet couldn’t tell me if it was the litters that caused it, or her not being spayed. Why take the chance? She’s past the age of maturity for a female GSD. I’d go with the spay.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Supposedly colostrum has cancer fighting properties. Could be given as a daily supplement.

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

At the first sign of any tumors in middle age, I would consider removing the entire mammary string on that side -- it's all the nipples and the "plumbing" connecting them. It's several thousand dollars, as it's a big, complex surgery. I wouldn't do it preventatively but I would not hesitate to do later in life at the first sign of a tumor.

We've had two in rescue that had tumors removed that came back benign that were dead within a year or two when additional tumors formed in the same area that weren't benign. Both had localized surgery removing just the tumor -- not the bigger surgery removing the whole string. I now think more aggressive surgery is the better judgment call, after seeing this happen to two different middle-aged dogs.

I would also talk to your vet about something like EverPup (from the maker of ApoCaps and one of the vet authors of the Dog Cancer Survival Guide).

Last edited by Magwart; 08-29-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevasdwish17 View Post
The vet recommended spaying as well. She said it couldn’t hurt but was very firm with me that detection is key.
It does hurt so why have her go through major surgery just because "it wouldn't hurt?" $$$?
Mudypoz and CometDog like this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Unread 08-29-2019, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

OP, I would trust your vet on the spay here. The literature shows a significant benefit to spaying before 2.5 years of age. While the most benefit is accrued if done before the first heat, it's an error to assume that because you're not getting the most benefit, you must be getting none. You're still right there at the edge of the beneficial window for mammary cancer, so I would get 'er done and hope you capture some of the protection -- even if it's not as much as it would have been at the time of the first heat, it's still taking down risk.

If you dig into the veterinary literature, at least according to one study, there does also appear to be some protective effect to spaying even after the second heat because spayed dogs overall (even spayed as adults) have increased survival time if they end up with malignant tumors and were spayed at least two years before the diagnosis.

This article summarizes the veterinary research on the subject:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/pro...mammary-tumors

Keeping your dog lean is also critical -- there's a correlation between obesity in dogs and mammary cancer. High-fat diets also appear to raise risk.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-29-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in