What are your thoughts of an AKC registered 1yr old with floppy ears? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Smile What are your thoughts of an AKC registered 1yr old with floppy ears?

I am thinking about buying this pup from a local family. She seems very high energy and I think the floppy ears are cute but wonder if it would be a mistake to buy a 1yr old with floppy ears. I don't plan on breeding with her if I purchase but are there any genetic abnormalities that are associated with floppy ears?

Any thoughts on the pros & cons or advice would be great to hear!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:21 AM
Master Member

If you are not breeding or showing conformation there is absolutely nothing wrong with flop ears. Go check her out and let us know how it goes
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

Why are they re-homing her? I would ask for the vet records, trainer reports etc How old is she? Looks nice. Think before you leap as there can be hidden issues. Check her gaits. This can be tough in an adolescent though. AKC papers are nice to enter her in AKC events.
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Master Member

Who cares if she has floppy ears? A good dog is a good dog!
Sabis mom likes this.

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

Floppy ears happen. It's usually genetic within those lines or could be an injury. If you aren't breeding and not doing conformation then it won't matter.

Is this from a breeder? Or a private home? You might want to have hips/elbows xrayed first OR you get insurance like healthy paws and wait a year to xray. Ask for vet records. Take her for a walk and see how she is in public, around dogs, kids, etc. How does she do interacting with you, a stranger, while walking. Will she take food from you? If not, that could be a sign of stress.
tc68, Benjaminb and CometDog like this.

post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

I don't know off hand of any medical issues associated with it (though I am not a vet). If you aren't breeding I would not give it a second thought. She is adorable! Looks like she has nice bone too.

I would ask the questions Wolfy proposed and the question Jax08 mentioned too. I've adopted dogs that have needed a lot of medical care before and I knew it signing up. It wasn't a deal breaker for me, but..I still like to know. Vet records, reason for rehoming, also ask to see the pedigree, to see if parents are rated for HD.

She looks like a sweetheart. Hope it works out for you both!
tc68 and Jax08 like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM

GSD's and their stand up ears are an endearing feature to me...

...so I'd pass.

But I agree with the others that this may be the family dog of a lifetime.

A puppy that turned out to have floppy ears would have time to bond with me and I'd be totally acceptable but to buy an adult with floppy ears ...

...that's just not a kissable face to me.
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM
Crowned Member

Saintbob, that is at least honest. Floppy ears totally change the image of a GSD. For me it makes the GSD. Hence the frequent threads about floppy eared pups. We all have our standards. I am embarrassed to admit that I secretly agree with you and I don't like that part of me.
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:31 PM
Master Member

Why is it that people are so adamant and enamoured by erect ears? An honest contemplation. I also agree that they complete the look, but itís not a deal breaker for me. Look at the lengths that people go through for other breeds that are born flop, to manipulate their ears via surgery and a significant amount of time spent posting. I know of people that will argue tooth and nail that they do it for menial benefits, but what it comes down to is they like the look and will put their pup through whatever is necessary to get it. Iíve even heard people say they would switch breeds if cropping was outlawed, which is astounding to me... every other wonderful feature of the dog isnít enough? Sorry to go a bit off topic, OP good luck and be diligent! If she doesnít work out, there will always be others.
Pawsed likes this.
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

She is very spoiled as she has tons of toys, treats, good dog food but she runs around in the yard a lot so she is a little bit on the skinny side. Will her putting on more weight or a different type of food help her ears go up? Its not really a big deal but from what I have read there are several non-genetic causes and her ears might still go up. The rest of her looks pure GSD and I researched her AKC papers and her father and mother are from a very reputable breeder who charges 4x her asking price for new pups.

Again, saving a lot of money and ears not bothering me because I think they look cute is leaning me towards buying her. She gets along well with kids and other pets as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page