Keeping dog in apartment? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Keeping dog in apartment?

Hi I have a 10 month old gsd. She is great and a lot of fun. I'm just wondering do you think she would be okay in an apartment? There's a lot of people telling me you NEED a yard for a dog or whatever. I'm currently living with my parents still but when I go to college there's the possibility that I might have to move into an apartment by myself.

I feel that she would be fine in apartment because she gets insane amounts of exercise and mental stimulation. She gets a minimum of 2 hours outside the house on walks at parks etc. Where I usually spend a good 30 min a day during these walks doing training exercises. When we get home shes pooped and just falls asleep in my bed all day. We have a yard but there's a pool in it so we don't have space to play/train so its a bathroom station and the occasional swim which i'm sure she can live without. She gets crated during school/sleep though we are slowly transitioning her out of that. So I suspect by the time I go to college she wont be spending much time in the crate at all. Maybe for the first few days in my room until i'm sure she wont have accidents and is comfortable.

Idk I feel like it will be near impossible to find a place that allows dogs but is that really the case? I've heard of people who keep 20 snakes in their apartment or have 4 small dogs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:08 PM
Master Member

I think that as long as she continues to get "insane amounts of exercise and mental stimulation", she would be fine in an apartment. It takes a lot of commitment from you though - can't just open the back door and let the dog out when it's cold or rainy...however in our college town there are many apartments and there are many people who keep large dogs and rent - so it definitely can be done!

As for living in a rental that allows dogs, it will depend on your area. Some apartments have weight limits on dogs. If there are more renters than apartments, landlords will feel free to turn away potential renters with pets. And there may be a hefty "pet deposit" and extra "pet rent" to be paid. I know that in the upscale apartments around the corner from us, they charge an extra $200 / month for "pet rent" (which I think is insane).

Well, that is the two cents from here!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

It’s sure is possible but is a lot of work as mentioned. Going out for walks in blizzards and rainy days. Important to keep up with exercise and mental stimulation. Check out rentals now see what is out there to get an idea. Apartments close to a college I would imagine rentals can get competitive and landlord may allow pets when they normally would not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:58 AM

I don't think it's fair to the GSD to be confined to an apartment...

...but there are many good apartment suited doggie companions.
das1 and LRP like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Master Member

I think as long as your college schedule allows you to keep up with the amount of exercise she's been used to she'll be ok...don't be surprised though if you have problems finding a rental and landlord that's good with your GSD....they're one of "those" breeds of dogs many don't allow because of liability......

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Master Member

I had 2 GSD in an apartment, with no issues. Both were work regularly. Walks, and free runs year round. Treadmill in winter. It takes a lot of dedication but it can be done.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 10:34 AM

It can be done, but in addition to the time/exercise/weather commitment, you should also keep in mind that, out of the fraction of all rental properties that allow pets, the majority of those will still have a size limit and/or prohibit certain breeds, and the GSD is almost always on the no-go list (often because insurance companies are not friendly toward GSDs). So if you plan to move out and keep the GSD with you, you are likely to be very limited on where you can live. The pet-friendly properties may cost more and yet they are often the most run-down and undesirable. In the case of dog-friendly apartment complexes, you can often expect fleas, barking, and poop left in the grass. In certain cities where there is a shortage of rental properties, you may not find any options to rent with a GSD at all.
tc68 likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

I know it would be a lot of dedication and work but I honestly can’t imagine life without my dog. I know that a lot of people get super busy in college with school work, social life, extracurricular like sports and music. They feel like they would never have time for a dog but for me my dog is kinda my extracurricular activity since I’m not involved in anything else. I would like to maybe get involved in agility or something but that depends on a lot of factors lol. I might be crazy but I actually prefer to take my dog out in bad weather. There’s often no one around and I can go to the park and let her run off leash without having to deal with the crazy people who let their aggresssive untrained dogs off leash. I’m quite used to horrible weather I live in Canada afterall!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Finding an apartment seems like it would be pretty difficult though. She’s 10 months but she weighs 70lbs and is almost entirely pure black. The neighborhood we lived in previously was pretty anti dog for a lot of religious reasons and they weren’t just disgusted or uncomfortable with my dog like they would be for a little dog. They were down right terrified of her. We live in a much more dog friendly neighborhood now though. Everyone and their mother has a large breed dog but there’s still tons of people that find her intimidating. I don’t see it she’s a cute little dog. 😛
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E4FBCE0-9C7B-4AFB-8647-B3EE8380BA8B_1567005208804.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	524767  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 11:43 AM
LRP

She is SUPER cute.

It makes me sad to say this because I can see you want to keep your dog but I don't think its fair to keep a large dog like this in a small apartment. Maybe if you can find an apartment with a some outside space it will make up for it but a dog this size, with this much mental and physical stimulation requirements - needs a large amount of space to run and explore.

I feel the same way about people who have to crate their dogs for long periods of the day. Its just not fair to the dog.
but... like others are saying... if you are willing to put in the time when you are home to take her out and exercise her as much as she needs then maybe you could make it work. Keep toys at home that will keep her mentally occupied. I just worry with a college schedule you will barely have time for yourself, let alone all the dog will need.

If you feel you can take on this huge responsibility though, do it and just adapt as you need to.

If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page