Spot On GPS Collar Fence

Anybody have any experience here?

https://spotoncollar.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Master Member

I dont have experience with this particular GPS collar but I have had experience with a similar one. Bought the Nuzzle collar and was a complete waste of money, didn't work, no battery life, then after about a year the company went bankrupt and the expensive collar is useless.
Unless this brand has been around awhile I would avoid it, seems like none of the GPS collars are reliable and this is pretty darn expensive. Depending on what your needs for the collar are you could buy a really nice Garmin GPS collar that is proven and reliable for much less than this one, but those are a little too big and bulky for everyday use. If you do get it let us know how it works.
Saco likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Spot On GPS Collar Fence

Thanks. I was looking for an alternative to the electric fence which I had a great experience with at my last home. I am looking for containment

Last edited by Frisco19; 08-24-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

Frisco19, was your last electric fence experience with a GSD, or some other breed?

The reason I ask is that in breed rescue, over the years I've seen a lot of GSDs in rural shelters, picked up stray wearing e-fence collars that failed to contain them. Some of them had been hit by cars before animal control picked them up. The sheltering consensus seems to be that this breed is usually too full of drive to contain with them: a GSD in prey-drive chasing a squirrel will blast through and take the shock -- but they'll remember the shock and won't go home because of it. Now you've got a stray dog, running at large.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Frisco19, was your last electric fence experience with a GSD, or some other breed?

The reason I ask is that in breed rescue, over the years I've seen a lot of GSDs in rural shelters, picked up stray wearing e-fence collars that failed to contain them. Some of them had been hit by cars before animal control picked them up. The sheltering consensus seems to be that this breed is usually too full of drive to contain with them: a GSD in prey-drive chasing a squirrel will blast through and take the shock -- but they'll remember the shock and won't go home because of it. Now you've got a stray dog, running at large.

Two dogs. A GSD and a Golden Doodle. Never had an issue. They were trained to leave the property on command to visit neighbors dogs and come home. They knew when the collar was off they were released. Itís all in the training.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:40 AM

No way. From looking at its size, it is just another lie in terms of GPS. The collar uses GSM networks for triangulation, GPS just kicks in passively to help a bit more (otherwise battery would constantly be empty if it has GPS LIVE tracking). So each time you read such things, replace the GPS with GSM, a wonder those companies can still get away with it, by constantly labeling it as GPS, the GPS function is very small and marginal. So, GSM, what does this mean? Prone to electro-magnetic interference, horrible in dense areas (your dog running into the woods, reception will be weak, especially if a not-even ground (sloped, hills, etc). Furthermore, the price is pathetic. The technology in there in today's world with the few extras and the R&D involved (has been around for ages), this is worth 50 bucks the most so if they'd sell it for 200 usd, I could sigh, but if I really wanted it, I would get it. But over 1000 bucks and a monthly subscription ????!!!!! No Way ! There are cheaper methods. So this is regarding the tracking.

As for Geo-Fencing only, there are cheaper methods out there just as effective if not better.

If you put a lot of value into tracking, you need a Garmin GPS tracker that also works with radiowave tracking (has no GSM included). The GPS will delay your dogs location to each 20-30 secs or so (otherwise battery runs dry in like 10 mins if you do live tracking) but you know where your dog is at, thus you let the radiowave tracker do the rest to help you get to him. But this is for hunters, or owners whose dogs run off easily after wild live etc, etc.

All GSM trackers I always had were useless. They never properly work when needed the most, a lot of inaccurate readings, overheating smart-phones, if you really must, get a proper GPS/Radio-Signal tracker, Garmin has them. But this, I recommend not.

Here is a more affordable solution by the best of the best in GPS technology, they also do non-GPS related products with their own independent monitoring devices, this as I recall is a more Geo-Fencing oriented product:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/55..._medium=social

(Sorry for being so direct, I get upset at companies that keep saying GPS when it is actually GSM).

Last edited by Vara; 08-27-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Spot On GPS Collar Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vara View Post
No way. From looking at its size, it is just another lie in terms of GPS. The collar uses GSM networks for triangulation, GPS just kicks in passively to help a bit more (otherwise battery would constantly be empty if it has GPS LIVE tracking). So each time you read such things, replace the GPS with GSM, a wonder those companies can still get away with it, by constantly labeling it as GPS, the GPS function is very small and marginal. So, GSM, what does this mean? Prone to electro-magnetic interference, horrible in dense areas (your dog running into the woods, reception will be weak, especially if a not-even ground (sloped, hills, etc). Furthermore, the price is pathetic. The technology in there in today's world with the few extras and the R&D involved (has been around for ages), this is worth 50 bucks the most so if they'd sell it for 200 usd, I could sigh, but if I really wanted it, I would get it. But over 1000 bucks and a monthly subscription ????!!!!! No Way ! There are cheaper methods. So this is regarding the tracking.

As for Geo-Fencing only, there are cheaper methods out there just as effective if not better.

If you put a lot of value into tracking, you need a Garmin GPS tracker that also works with radiowave tracking (has no GSM included). The GPS will delay your dogs location to each 20-30 secs or so (otherwise battery runs dry in like 10 mins if you do live tracking) but you know where your dog is at, thus you let the radiowave tracker do the rest to help you get to him. But this is for hunters, or owners whose dogs run off easily after wild live etc, etc.

All GSM trackers I always had were useless. They never properly work when needed the most, a lot of inaccurate readings, overheating smart-phones, if you really must, get a proper GPS/Radio-Signal tracker, Garmin has them. But this, I recommend not.

Here is a more affordable solution by the best of the best in GPS technology, they also do non-GPS related products with their own independent monitoring devices, this as I recall is a more Geo-Fencing oriented product:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/55..._medium=social

(Sorry for being so direct, I get upset at companies that keep saying GPS when it is actually GSM).

Outstanding feedback and no need to be sorry, this was what I was looking for. Iím most interested in containment not so much tracking. I want to keep him in my yard to let him out to pee and poop. Itís looking like the electric fence is best for me.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco19 View Post
Outstanding feedback and no need to be sorry, this was what I was looking for. Iím most interested in containment not so much tracking. I want to keep him in my yard to let him out to pee and poop. Itís looking like the electric fence is best for me.

Yeah, I mean, I'd pay the 1000+ bucks if it was a 100% GPS/Radio device with its own tracking/monitoring device, while also have a parallel secondary monitoring system that can be used on a smart-phone, while not having any additional monthly subscriptions. But this is clearly lot the case here
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vara View Post
Yeah, I mean, I'd pay the 1000+ bucks if it was a 100% GPS/Radio device with its own tracking/monitoring device, while also have a parallel secondary monitoring system that can be used on a smart-phone, while not having any additional monthly subscriptions. But this is clearly lot the case here
I used the Canine Fence Company the last time around, they are the most commercial supplier of these and probably the most costly. It cost me around $1,200 12 years ago. I did about 1/2 acre, but the size of the area doesn't really add to the cost as wire is cheap. They are coming to my new home this Thursday evening to give me a quote which I am sure will be between $1,000-$1,500. I will talk them down but I honestly think I am going to do this myself with one of the $300 Amazon kits. The wire really does not need to be buried much, in fact at my last house there was no way he buried it going through the woods over rocks and roots. I'll tuck it under the mulch which pretty much surround 75% of my property which also is fenced in 50%, so I will run it under the fence. My only issue is how to get across the driveway. I could just get a circular saw like they use and cut a crease. Besides the driveway, I think I could install it in 30 minutes. As for the transmitter, I will just pull out the old Direct TV wire going into the basement and use that conduit for the fence wire.

More to follow. There is always the chance I get lazy and spend the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page