Does this look like a true GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Does this look like a true GSD?

Take a look. You tell me. Does that look like a true GSD?
The dog evidently has GSD there. It's obvious but I'm not quite sure if this one is likely all GSD, or a mix, if so, with what?

The dog is 9 months old. Currently 66 pounds (I'm told). Male. Good temperament. Good with kids + other dogs. The owner says that the dog is a GSD and both parents were SD's but not registered. The dog owner is not the breeder.

I just haven't seen the dog in person yet. I could probably tell if the dog is a full GSD in person. From pics at this stage, I'm not quite sure.

If this dog is full GSD, what sort of lines do you think are in there? Those feet and legs are substantial. Nice through the back. I like the confident look. Seems like potentially a good temperament may be there.

What do you all think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	German_Shepherd_Axl_1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	524573   Click image for larger version

Name:	German_Shepherd_Axl_2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	524575   Click image for larger version

Name:	German_Shepherd_Axl_4_Puppy.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	524577   Click image for larger version

Name:	German_Shepherd_Axl_3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	524579   Click image for larger version

Name:	German_Shepherd_Axl_5.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	524581  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:30 AM
Crowned Member

Why are you questioning? The dog is a GSD. I don't see anything else there. Dogs are the most diverse of species, from 4 pounds to 260+ pounds and every color and shape. GSDs are also very divers. The above dog can be some type of working line dog, but it can also be a mixture of lines, and the outcomes are infinite, in shape, in size, in temperament. 66 pounds for a 9 month old GSD is not outside the ball park.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:49 AM
Knighted Member

The variations in structure between the different lines of GSD are so great that they could almost be considered different breeds.

He looks full GSD to me. Given his colour and what I can see of his structure, I'd guess he's more working lines than anything else. But then, most BYB dogs don't have the extremes that showline breeders tend to go for.

I've had some BYB rescues that were VERY nice dogs in terms of temperament, so I wouldn't hold that against him. My first hearing ear service dog was from a backyard breeder, and I couldn't have asked for a better dog, though I certainly didn't get his as a potential service dog! I just wanted to rescue him from life on the end of an 8 foot chain!
Benjaminb and CometDog like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 08-23-2019 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:12 AM
Crowned Member

Does this look like a true GSD?

He looks like a gsd. Perhaps a mix of lines. The structures in lines and even within each line vary. All lines are capable of balanced dogs and extremes. He looks like a bicolor as I assume that is what’s throwing you off - the color. Gsds not only come in Black and Tan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Master Member

I concur, looks full GSD and a handsome one at that. Let us know when you bring him home.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:53 AM

Looks full GSD to me, but definitely some American GSD in him.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

He is a looker! Without knowing his pedigree you will never know for sure. He looks nice though. You'll have to see his temperament in person.

Are you thinking of getting him? Why is the owner selling or rehoming in? What are your expectations for this dog? If both of his parents were SDs what tasks were they trained to do? Can you meet either or both parents?

Sorry for the questions but if you are asking because you want this dog for a SD or something, there is a lot more to whether or not they look full GSD, an important question is do they act full GSD

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:19 PM
LRP

Yes I think so and SUPER handsome. Love his colors.

If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! Just wanted educated feedback.

I'm only on the surface familiar with various GSD lines like East German, Czech, on and on but my knowledge is not experienced enough with this breed to know how various GSD puppies are supposed to look at 9 months. I can eye an adult GSD. It doesn't matter but in my case, I want to have a better idea in case the owner that's seeking a rehome decides to ask for some sort of inflated price. If that happens, no matter how much I like the dog, I will walk away. Seems awful of me but the numbers of GSD's (and all dogs!) being essentially mass produced is staggering. it's horribly sad. There's (unfortunately) plenty of GSD's at actual GSD rescues here. I've seen three fly in and out of a local shelter in Knoxville in the past two weeks. I couldn't even get there in time to look at any of the dogs. I can wait to get a dog from a reputable breeder. Reputable doesn't mean someone only touting AKC reg. on their dogs. Ha, nope (pedigrees are merely a tool for the breeder to analyze traits in lineage + keep record). I want those OFA clearances on hips and elbows at the least. Eye clearances too. I want to know the lifespans of their dogs, on and on. They better be doing something to test their dogs like schutzhund work, or whatever the breeder's interests may be. What traits are they aiming to preserve? That matters.

I will say that my dogs? I've always got them as adults. With GSD's I really have no idea what they're supposed to look like as they go through their puppy phase. I do know a bit about temperament testing of puppies in general. Feeding is something of importance too, but that's for another forum thread.

There's a TON of GSD's in need of rehoming because people realize they're a lot of work (exercise needs at the least). I've had to pass up on several already that had aggression issues. I could deal with it, but I'd rather not. I just happened to see this dog thinking oh, he's got a good look overall which may indicate he's relatively healthy + he's got a good look in the eye (relaxed, confident expression). Since he seems to have a good temperament to boot, that's tempting me.

I will say my huge worries are the lack of health clearances on hips, elbows, eyes, and all that usual stuff. I know of hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, pannus, degenerative myelopathy, and GSD's higher risk of cardiac issues. Of course this isn't a dog from a reputable breeder. It's just a chance/all risk. Yikes! I hope he's healthy. I'd really enjoy a breather for a year or so here without having to pay thousands of dollars on vet bills, which I went through recently having lost my GSD of 13+ years this past May, then losing my nearly 17 year old Lab in July. I had two incredibly good dogs. Both were just my destiny. Neither one was scrutinized when I got them but wow, they were super healthy up until the very end for both of them. I have years of blood work to prove they were healthy over each one's lifetime. I have all of their diagnostic imaging of joints. Both had to be put to sleep due to advancing arthritis. Laser therapy, fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin, probiotics, good food, NSAID's, gabapentin/tramadol, Adequan injections, and acupuncture + swimming/massage were not working anymore. We really need greater research focused on eliminating arthritis! It's as negative a diagnosis as cancer. But, I realize dogs, like us, can't live forever, and my dogs lived a LONG time in good health. Strange that they went over the Rainbow Bridge at the same time. You know, your house becomes bizarrely quiet.

Not looking for a show dog, nope. But, I sure as heck want functional conformation + a healthy dog. In fact let's skip the American show lines. That extreme angulation look = quirky/greater joint stress. I prefer the working line GSD's. That's what my last (and only) GSD happened to be. She had a build like this one in the pictures except she was more of a sable color. She weighed approximately 90 pounds. She had a great temperament.

I think that's ample info from me here. I'm not a newbie by any means with dogs. I know a good bit about GSD's, but I wouldn't call myself highly experienced with this breed just because I had one for 13+ years. I am more experienced with Retrievers. Really, horses are my game. I can select/train Thoroughbreds off the track for eventing. I know pedigrees in that realm very well. It's either that or your variety of sport horse warmbloods. I know a good one when I see one. With GSD's, I prefer second and third opinions here.

That was probably too much information, but I thought I'd just spit it all out here so you have an idea of my background and thoughts here.

I so so so appreciate the feedback here. Thanks!
sebrench, Benjaminb and cvamoca like this.

Last edited by AlphaHunter; 08-23-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

Why is the owner rehoming the dog? I would want details on that rather than worry about lines.
Aly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in