German Shepherds Forum banner

Decorative Crate Recommendations

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Been searching high and low for a good quality crate that’s a piece of furniture. I have already returned two. One in the $200 range and the other $400 because I know he’s gonna bust out or chew it up pretty easily. Right now I have a really solid wooden crate that is for a medium dog in my bedroom. He loves it. Got it off Facebook but he’s only got a few more weeks in it as he’s growing fast. The crate in my bedroom was and is meant to be temporary.

My other crate is large and is the cookie cutter ugly cage in my great room. The wooden crates are so expensive. I really don’t want to drop a grand on a crate, but I will if I have to.

Anyone have some good experiences with some furniture type crates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#2 ·
I chose a very pretty felt that matched the rest of the decor colors, and covered the wire crate with that. We then got a good piece of butcher block, and stained it very very dark, and sealed it. This is on top of the wire crate, and acts as an end table in our living room. Most people don’t even realize it’s a crate until we let a dog in or out. Not super duper fancy, but it really does blend in with the living room as a piece of furniture. And it’s not as expensive as buying one that is built into an table.

#7 ·
I did something similar to what Jchrest did when we had a crate in the living room.It was just a pair of curtain panels
that matched the wall color, crossed in a + shape draped over the crate.Used it as a sofa table behind the furniture.

#10 ·
I really love the fancy crates I had one the largest is not that big for a large male but large. It is inexpensive. The photo does not do it justice. Really was a beautiful peace in the house I loved it. Max did chew his way out he was 8 month. I do want to get another one I keep one set up in the dining room. Now that they are older. Tired of looking at the big crate. I just use it to dry off after they are bathed or beached. It looked like cherry wood. Again photos do no justice and was reasonable compared to some other decorative crates.
https://www.overstock.com/Pet-Suppl...t.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Thanks. That may be an option. The ones I have returned I could not feel comfortable that he wouldn’t chew his way out. Maybe I should just wait until he is older and not chewing?

#13 ·
Thanks Jenny. We tried a wooden one off Amazon that had these cheap wooden slats vs metal bars. I put the whole thing together and determined it was going to be like throwing money away! Metal bars are a must.

#19 ·
Exactly. I didn’t realize it when I bought. The slats were more like strapping. It would have taken Frisco 30 seconds per slat. I can’t believe they advertised this crate as a dog crate for XL dogs.

#20 · (Edited)
That sounds dangerous. They have crates in home goods but similar to what you describe. I saw very similar one in front gate for nearly triple the price. I also saw it person and both are the same in quality and beautiful. It’s how the quest for one started. I just saw this one in Chewy from same company. On a pop up on my phone. It is from the same company as the other crate I posted listed - it has a crate within where a pup would not chew the bottoms to get out. Reminds me of the two combined from that I had posted. I have not seen extra large in either of the crates. I posted had trouble with the idea of spending $600(front gate price) on a crate though and it is not extra large.
https://www.chewy.com/merry-product...obChMInaLkn7qb5AIViySGCh0BIgr1EAQYByABEgI94PD

Frontgate
https://www.frontgate.com/luxury-pe.../pet-home-care/pet/dog-crates/1100858?prank=2

Frontgate
https://www.frontgate.com/luxury-mahogany-pet-residence-dog-crate/347189

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.