German Shepherds Forum banner

100% ddr?

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  4K9Mom 
#1 ·
Good morning and good day I have been looking for a long time for my next best friend and have found her I haven't asked about papers or lineages yet he says his pups are 100% DDR I thought after the wall came down the DDRs mixed with Czech lines and west German working lines or are there still 100% DDRs here in the states or anywhere for that matter

#2 ·
There are people still breeding pure DDR lines both here and, I believe, in Germany. Not all have mixed them.

#3 ·
Luke, I have to say your search for a buddy should stay as just a search until your wife passes. She does not need another animal to care for while you are at work. Especially a puppy. And leaving a puppy out back with your other dogs while you are gone is not a good solution. The pup could easily be harmed, or could harm your small dog with nothing more than playing.

Your wife wants a lap dog, why not focus on what your wife wants while she’s still with you.

I’m in a world of hurt at my own hands right now. We had two dogs. Then we purchased a pup from a breeder. Then found out I would need surgery now, instead of two years from now. Even knowing I was heading into surgery soon, I said yes to an emergency foster. 10 month old Belgian Mal. Which DH fell in love with and promised he would do everything, all the work and training he and our older male needed. He hasn’t lived up to that agreement, and it’s been **** on me. I’m either looking at training 3 dogs while in recovery, or rehoming because it’s way too much for me to handle physically.

I 100% understand the need to focus on something positive (a new puppy in this case), than it is to deal with the emotions you must be going through, but trust me, it’s a decision you will come to regret. I certainly do, and I haven’t been given a terminal diagnosis.

#6 ·
You know what we only live for so long and it's never long enough and I appreciate all your advise and concern about my wife but this is not a decision I have made on my own my wife wants to be involved in picking her out we have nothing to look forward to I know spending time with one another and we do. Ya this pup is going to be work for me the pup will have to adapt to our lifestyle may have to spend more time in the kennel than usual in the beginning but that's only temperary this isn't our first rodeo so if she brings some happiness that's what's important my wife says what she wants weather or not you want to hear it that's one of the things I love about her no guessing lol so hear goes nothing. So if it blows up in my face all who said I shouldn't can say I told you so lol

#7 ·
Luke, my reply was based on a previous post where you had said your wife didn’t want a large dog, she wanted a lap dog. And you said it would be too much for her to handle a GSD puppy. If you have your wife’s blessing, I’m very happy for you both.

Yes, picking a puppy out together can be a wonderful bonding experience for you two. It sounds like you have everything worked out. Post pics once you get you pup home! And prayers and blessings to both your wife and you.

I’ll bow out now, I know nothing of value to add to this thread. Hope you get the answers on DDR you’re looking for!

#8 ·
I must have misspoke about the lap dog sorry we have a deer legged Chihuahua that's in the house he is very special to her sometimes I think more than me lol I will be posting pics soon of the new edition her as some of our kids now

Attachments

#9 ·
His post is harmless and to the point, if it annoys you so badly maybe just move on instead of posting a rude comment.

Your chihuahua and (Australian Shepherd?) are adorable and I bet you all feel lucky to have one another. A GSD pup can be a little hellion and it may be trying to keep him/her from bothering the older dogs too much. Been there!

#16 ·
Can you share the pedigree? There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who will mostly likely know about a lot of the dogs in any given pedigree.

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I also understand about needing joy in your life even if it isn't what other people think is best for you.

I'll just assume the person chastising you is someone you knows in real life? Because someone on a pubic forum telling other strangers what the should and shouldn't post on a public forum is just wee bit high handed.

#18 ·
Luke, I’d say you keep coming back to the idea of having a gsd and feel you’ve got it handled then go for it. Others read your situation and respond based on their view and experience, ultimately it’s up to you. I’m local to the Spokane area and get curious to what breeders pop up in threads like these. 9 years ago when I began my gsd search breeders were few and far between, now there are dozens. I know nothing of the pup you are currently considering, just be cautious and don’t get sucked in by puppy fever.

#21 ·
That's one cute puppy. (I always tempted to call a puppy ugly.... because all puppies seem to be cute.) The craziness of the third dog, a drivey puppy nonetheless, could be just the ticket for taking your mind off everything else. That includes diner that's cooking on the stove and has now burnt. ...

#22 ·
Cute little thing!

How old is this puppy?

Has the breeder been doing *in-home* handling & socializing? (Or conversely are the pups being raised in the house?)

Keep in mind the window for critical socialization. It sounds like you have a lot going on, but puppies have critical socialization periods in which we have to do certain work or the window closes without it forever

This pup looks a bit older. It could just be the angle. But if not, it’s definitely something to consider. I consulted with a trainer well known for working with GSDs, mals, etc before I got my pup. She strongly recommended getting a pup as early as possible after 8 weeks.

I was looking at a 14 week old pup. She basically vetoed that as too late. Now that I have my pup and can see how much he has developed with proper socialization, I’m so glad I listened to her.

Anyhow, just passing along some info that might be helpful.

https://www.doggoneproblems.com/criticalsocializationperiod/

https://drsophiayin.com/app/uploads/2015/12/Socialization_Checklist.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.