How do you know when your dog is ready for a trial? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How do you know when your dog is ready for a trial?

Looking for others input. I myself go by what I see in training. Training I mean anywhere, diff places, scenario’s not just at your own club training. I know from experience you feel your dog is ready but day of a trial all heck breaks out.

Last edited by dogma13; 08-20-2019 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Pseudo swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Master Member

I like to test my dog and always do things that will be more difficult than they will likely encounter in a trial. When they are good with that then very likely they will do well in a trial.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 AM
Crowned Member

If both the handler and the dog have the basics down, we're ready. Doesn't mean we will do well - In fact, I think my dog and I found just about every way to blow a Novice A. We did good in the venues where nothing was going to my preplanned plan... and I said what the heck, we've driven all this way, I've checked into the motel, we've paid our fees - might just as well give it a go. It's always been an experience, it's not always been what I expected or wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:30 AM
Master Member

Some of the best advice I got was from one of our national level head judges. Amp yourself up in terms of nervous behaviour: go to the side where your dog can't see you, then get your heart rate up high and breathe quickly. Do a quick snapshot training session while your heart rate and breathing is elevated to simulate nervousness, and see how your dog handles the training without immediate praise or reward from you. If they handle it well with no immediate changes to their behaviour, chances are the trial will go just fine.

I spent two weeks practicing our long down persistently because it was a weak area of ours, and she had it down perfectly. Then I accidentally downed her where a female in heat had been downed, and she took three commands to down. Then she got up and tried to track the female in heat. Would've passed just fine if it weren't for that, lol. And that was all my fault - I knew I'd be going with a female in heat and should've downed her first.
car2ner likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:20 AM

great question. I have heard judges that get annoyed by having to take time and energy to come to trials where people obviously weren't ready. They understand that dogs will be dogs, not robots, but they all seem to have some level of competence in their minds that makes a trial work their effort.

Others judges are more generous seeing the trial as a chance to educate people on the good and bad of any run.

Either way, it is more considerate of the judge's time and the other handlers' time, to be as ready as possible before signing up. And I think I'll try Femfa's advice. Nervous handlers can mess up the best dogs (seen it happen)

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:25 AM
Master Member

I don't know what sport you are training in, but a good rule of thumb is that if you are training for a BH in IGP or a PDC in PSA, the dog should be ready for an IGP I or a PSA 1.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I’m always so nervous before I trial and I know it feeds down the leash. I like the idea to test myself and see what happens.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Crowned Member

Once I can go through the whole routine without thinking about it and he can through with barely any type of correction, maybe a small mistake here or there, I'll trial. I don't get nervous though. If I'm making handler errors, its not from nerves. I probably become a little too much of an observer instead of handler.
Jax08 and wolfy dog like this.

Doc

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

In obedience my take is that you can enter beginners when the dog masters the next level at home in various situations and environments. I am planning on starting her in Rally Novice. I know she is capable of more so I have taken her to venues in shows to put the two together. Then I will see how it goes. I have discovered that I am only competitive if the dogs do well
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
In obedience my take is that you can enter beginners when the dog masters the next level at home in various situations and environments. I am planning on starting her in Rally Novice. I know she is capable of more so I have taken her to venues in shows to put the two together. Then I will see how it goes. I have discovered that I am only competitive if the dogs do well
I'm working my gal-dog in novice Rally, too. It will be awhile until our first trial, even though my gal is catching on quickly. Walking different courses and getting muscle memory for myself when I see the signs will be as big a challenge as encouraging my gal to heel nicely through it all.
wolfy dog likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page