Won't go around corners on hardwood floor - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Won't go around corners on hardwood floor

Hi all,

Rumo has been getting "stuck" in certain corners of the house. He won't go around the corner of the sofa, or around the corner coming out of the bedroom, etc. We realized that he is afraid of slipping on the hardwood floor! If we lay a bathtowel down in front of him, then he will carefully walk around the corner on top of the towel. For a day or two we would run around laying towels in front of him (LOL, emperor Rumo!) and currently our house has towels installed at every turn...if he doesn't get over it, I may need a more permanent solution than a towel at every corner of the house! He's getting older (probably 8 or more currently) so I foresee it getting worse, not better...

So I guess we could get a bigger area rug for the living room, one that goes edge to edge...but, what to do about all the Corners?
Has anybody dealt with this?

My husband suggested putting strips of masking tape down at all the corners for traction, which is an interesting idea...

(We never saw our dog actually fall/crash/wipe out, but it may have happened for example, when we were out and he was running to door to greet us when we came home. It was a sudden onset, just started last week.)

Thanks for any suggestions/experience!

PS His nails do click, but I examined them and they are not very long, he is walking 3-4 miles daily on sidewalk/road and that keeps them very worn down.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Master Member

Lyka refuses to go into our bathrooms, even though they are the same laminate flooring as my bedroom, hall, and stairs. The bathroom downstairs is the same tile that is throughout the rest of the house, yet she still refuses. No clue why. Our last place had similar laminate, just a darker color, and she had no problems following me into the bathrooms with that flooring. I just wrote it off as another quirk. But it’s not at the level you’re experiencing!

They sell black rubber mats at Walmart in the kitchen section. It’s what we use for the dog dishes so they don’t go sliding around everywhere. And they are less than 3 dollars. Maybe you could get some of those for the corners and see if it doesn’t make a difference. I’m pretty sure they have other colors, I just didn’t care about appeal, I just wanted them to stand up to the dogs.

Can’t figure out how to link to it, but here is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	786228A7-9E57-43FF-9D7E-9BA5B46E7856_1566312916774.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	524485  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Has Rumo had a recent vet check? I'm thinking possible toe nail issue, balance or eyesight since this just started. Other than that, enchanced traction similar to the towels like the rug/mat J suggested (except personally I avoid that particular source) To help with the landing and bottom of the stairs I got a couple of non-slip door mats. They work. They're not lovely but they are functional. You could trim them to fit, too.

There's also a skid strip tape available, too.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Master Member

Don't know if he grows a lot of hair between his pads but if so, that may be contributing to his uncertain footing. With our previous long-haired guy we had to trim the bottoms of his feet regularly so he was more stable on hardwood.
Nigel likes this.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

We have non-skid runners on crucial corners. They have saved injuries, I am sure. We call them the 'runways'. Totally worth the price and keep well.
Non-Absorbent-Prelude-Entrance-Outdoor-Thickness by Amazon
Sabis mom and CometDog like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 08-20-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 PM
Master Member

We.ve had so many seniors with us at different times ...we keep throw rugs (for the back hall way) and one area rug (or the kitchen) and put them down when our seniors get old enough and arthritic enough that they start developing "phobias" about slick floors...i do believe nail length has a tiny bit to do with their problems so I keep them "Dremeled"...but in truth when they get nervous about slipping they tense up -extend their nails to try to get traction and in the end they slip/slide even more...

I've always thought if I could design some sorta little doggie boots with rubber soles ...that dogs would actually wear and not try to constantly pull off-I could make a little extra money...lol....I know it's not HGTV" cool" (nowadays every body has to have hardwood floors) but when Beau and Cody were older we were glad some of our rooms are wall to wall...

Be kind to your dog..he's only a few years of your life
but you.. are ALL of his life
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Trim the hair in his pads, and buy some cheap runners.
Springbrz and saintbob like this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:01 PM
Crowned Member

I went to Walmart! 2x7 rubber backed carpet runners $9 each. They can be tossed in the wash and hung over a fence to dry, lasted me about a year and I had those things all over the house. I just stock pile them so if something gets torn, stained or trashed I toss it.
I hate carpeting with dogs but those floors get tough as they get older so we compromise. I did find that real hardwood is less slippery then laminate.

Shadow slipped on the tiling in one of the motels we stayed in and now is afraid of tile floors. I guess that will need to be considered if I ever stop being a homeless person, lol.
dogfaeries and huntergreen like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

What do Rumos pads look like? If they’re a bit dry or cracked that can add to the already slick wood floors. Mushers Secret could help condition them for a bit better traction.
huntergreen and Sabis mom like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Elite Member

I spent over a year with my girl when she was a pup being afraid of the kitchen floor (vinyl). Only thing we could think of is she slipped and scared herself. We got cheap walmart runners for the kitchen. That worked. After about a year I took them up and didn't put them back. She was tentative but she got over her fear for the most part.
I do notice when her nails get longer and start to click on surfaces that she does seem to slip more and acts unsure of the surface at times.
FWIW the runner is back in my kitchen. She got excited and slipped and the floor was once again a "no go" and it is the only way to the back yard so runner it is.

Since you are dealing with a senior I would trim foot fur, keep nails short enough so they don't click and go with runners or mats in problem areas. I agree a vet check is a good idea to rule out vision or balance problem, arthritis, etc.
Sabis mom likes this.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page