CBD for anxiety - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MrDarcy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

CBD for anxiety

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone on here is using CBD oil to help with their Shepherds anxiety. I have been researching the forums and online but still feel like I cant get pointed in the right direction as there are so many companies manufacturing CBD. I have found a couple companies that have my interest but was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what brand they use. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:30 PM
Knighted Member

I don't use it, but I have a friend who had great luck with CBD for his anxious dog. Pretty sure brand is less important than cost, and similar analysis/ content. It's definitely something you'll want to shop around for as the cost varies dramatically.

That being said, my friend switched over to Endurapet Plus because it gave his dog the same relief for half the cost! If it were my dog, I'd probably try the Endurapet Plus first, then switch to CBD if that didn't work satisfactorily. Good luck!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:17 PM

I have not tried CBD oil on my dog. I personally think it's another in a long line of marketing scams to separate you from your money. I haven't met a Vet or trainer that would bet on it.

If it "works" for you, that's great. Prove it, if you can.

What really works for my dogs is exercise and obedience. The more exercise they get, the calmer and less anxious they are. Oh, and you know what? It works for humans as well. Just don't tell the drug companies that.

Everything is not solved with a magic pill. At least not in my world.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Voodoolamb compiled an awesome, in-depth amount of info on CBD. Some of it is dry reading, but well worth digging in.

Thread here:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...anagement.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Here's the thing about "medicating" canine anxiety, whether with something natural or with something pharmaceutical: the board-certified vet behaviorists generally don't just throw meds at problems. Instead, they sometimes use them while also developing a positive program to de-sensitize the dog to its triggers, develop some coping skills, and work on behavioral modification for long-term solutions. There's some hard work involved in getting good outcomes with that approach -- success requires more than just throwing a pill at the dog!

There aren't many of these board-certified veterinary behaviorists (it requires a vet degree plus several more years of training in a residency, with successful practical application for clients, etc. to even be allowed to sit for the board exam -- the process is just like becoming a vet neurologist or ophthalmologist...years of extra work). It's sometimes hard to find one, but they often do phone consultations with vets -- so your vet could call one at the nearest state vet school and ask!

The board certified vet behaviorist whom I met with last week for a rescue foster described RX meds as helping to give us access to a mind frame where the behavioral mod work she was recommending could be more successful -- better access to the neuro-pathways to get the learning to move into long-term memory gives it a better chance to work. Anxiety can make it feel like the dog has a full "in box" and nothing is getting through -- you often can't train through that. Her hope is that RX meds are not going to be needed forever for this particular dog -- they're a bridge while we work on his rehab.

If you are considering something like CBD, you and/or your vet probably will want to read through the Consumer Lab test of CBD products (human and canine). It lives behind a paywall, but many vets buy access -- it's a site that does rigorous third-party lab testing of OTC supplements and publishes the results. Lots of CBD products don't contain what they claim, some have undeclared THC, others have no active CBD despite label claims, or not the levels advertised (some have far more, some far less). The supplement industry is like the Wild West, and this one is a new Gold Rush.

You might also want to look into (and talk to your vet about) Solliquin (an OTC supplement from Nutramax, maker of Dasaquin--a very well-regarded, research-driven company) and Calming Care probiotic (RX from the vet, from Purina's veterinary division; it's a proprietary strain with research showing it helps very modestly with anxiety).

Last edited by Magwart; 08-19-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page