After boarding greeting and some aloofness to me - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

After boarding greeting and some aloofness to me

Hello guys,

I travelled for a week and boarded Rex.

When I came to pick him up this morning, me and the facility owner decided to make a video of the greeting.

So I went into a field garden they have. Rex was brought out and when I called his name he went excited and started looking for me, then entered the field and ran towards me and I thought he would stop, jump on me etc.. Instead he ran past me, went sniffed, came back to me, I was on my knees, he gave me a couple of licks and then went on sniffing in the garden. I was hoping for a more excited focused greeting. I was very happy to see him and I thought he would be as excited.

When I come home, he always is very excited and shows more joy for me than after 7 days Can you please shed light on why this could be? Is this normal for GSDs?

I leashed him and we went to the car. He was all cool and happy to come along and in the car. We went home and he has been distant comparatively speaking. We played a a bit. He ate well etc.... But I can't figure out what is somewhat a level of disinterest.

We have a great bond and I am kind of deflated...

Thank you for your feedback....

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

It he is healthy and all it sounds like the cold shoulder it should pass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
It he is healthy and all it sounds like the cold shoulder it should pass.
Already improving, but trying to understand the cold shoulder part, especially in the greeting. I thought he will jump all over me and but just rant past me. He did come back for a some petting and couple of licks, but when I come to the house after 2 hours he was more excited than this! I may be sounding childish I know It is like I am bruised that my girlfriend was not excited to see me after I travelled lol

Last edited by Mozi; 08-15-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Maybe he was feeling relief rather than excitement.Whew!Now back to my normal routine
huntergreen likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

Deja is the same way, her breeder brings her out, releases her and she jumps into her car crate without greeting me. I have the door open for her so she won't kil herself jumping into the crate door. She is just happy to go home. Remember that GSDs are not like Goldens or humans. I also never make a big deal out of seeing her so she won't either.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

At least he is still following me around the house everywhere
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

I think that routine and familiarity are at least a part of their relationship with us, so you throw a curve ball at them like boarding, it takes time to get back into that.

Doc

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM

That one's easy. When you board a dog, you know you're coming back for him. The dog does not. Some dogs don't worry, but others--especially really loyal breeds like GSDs, and rescue dogs that have been dumped before--figure that you have abandoned them. And they let you know they are displeased when you return.

Here's a great example of a rescue dog showing his displeasure after his owner picked him up after she "abandoned" him for dental treatment at the vet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...&v=TGbFnl65MBs
cvamoca likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:11 PM
Master Member

My husband dropped off Rumo for boarding once and when we got him back, for the entire week after boarding, he never lifted his paw to ask for a tummy/chest rub from my husband. My husband was so disturbed that now he always makes ME drop off Rumo for boarding, LOL.

I think some dogs do seem to hold a bit of a grudge!

The very first time after we picked him up from boarding, Rumo was nuts - whining, howling, groaning, jumping all over...apparently he thought we had given him up and he was back at the "Shelter". But ever since that first time, he has figured out that we do come back - so he runs out happily and heads for the car. ( He could probably win a medal in an agility trial for how fast he makes it to the car and leaps into the backseat! That, to me, is a sign that he's happy to go home!)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

My cat would hold a grudge when we would go away he would act a little distant for some time but he would get over it. My chihuahua will not go up to my ex he use to be very close with him. After our separation and when he came to pick up the kids up for the first time - topper actually barked at him and he is not that nippy type dog but acted as if he was a stranger. It was only a week since he saw home last. He was angry tried to jump at my hands at him. It was not normal behavior. He still does not go up to him and it has been two years plus. He will get scooped by him as I know he misses Tipper but Topper will look miserable and take off in his crate when he got the chance and give him dissatisfied looks across the room. It is very interesting to see this change in behavior towards a once very loved family member and over such a long period of time. He will take treats from him now but that took along time for him to do this and that’s about it. He will not hand his heart over. Dogs do carry grudges. I have not met such loyal dog ever and let his feeling be known.

Last edited by Jenny720; 08-15-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page