Does your GSD like to swim? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Does your GSD like to swim?

Duke (RIP) loved the water. Literally would jump and the ocean and retrieve a ball from 12 weeks on. From this I assumed GSD's loved water. My experience with my 11 week old Frisco is the opposite. I know it's early, but he runs away from the in and out tide. I don't think he is going to love the water, which is fine given our recent shark infestation here in New England.

Just curious if your GSD likes the water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

All mine do, swimming is a regular exercise outlet for them during the hotter months. I would not give up on Frisco too quick, some pups take longer than others to see the fun in swimming. You might try introducing him to calmer water at a lake and see how that goes.
Jenny720 likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 PM

mine like swimming but with the warnings about blue algae and the sewer leak in a neighboring county, we are staying out of the rivers and ponds. Hose play in the back yard will have to do.
Jenny720 likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Elite Member

Nitro loves water, and mud.
Jenny720 likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Master Member

Lyka HATES the water, in any form but drinking water. Sprinklers come on? She books it into the house. Kids playing with the hose? Books it into the house. Seeing another of our dogs being bathed? Books it and hides inside the house. She’s just terrified of water.

Crios and Seiran both love it. But it’s an in ground pool, not the ocean. Floki was weary of the water, but DH said he followed Seiran in the other day and had been a water otter ever since. So 1 out of 4 hates the water.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM

Luna absolutely loves the water! Ocean, rivers, pools, lakes, puddles, whatever has water, she loves. She wouldn't go into the pool at first when she was 9 months old. Just kept barking at the pool cause she was unsure so I bought a doggy life vest which kept her afloat to help her feel more confident and safe. Now she has no use for the life vest and is obsessed with the pool. You should get your pup a life vest and help him enjoy the water with lots of treats as well! He's still a baby and he'll learn through experience to either love the water or hate it.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, it might be too early to tell. We do have a pool and he loves to hang over the edge almost falling in to bark at us swimming and runs back and forth. I have picked him up and brought him in to get him wet but have not let go. I know puppies can swim but I don't want it to traumatize him and make him afraid of the water or have him think when we go in, he will stay away for fear of being pulled in. I had a GD that I did this to at an early age and when we went swimming, he stayed clear. He never liked the water, but Duke the GSD would walk in and out, swim, etc.

After I brought Frisco in a few times and put him back down on the deck edge, he still never went away and still got on edge and barked at us seemingly like he wants to jump in, so I don't think he is afraid of the water. It's just the ocean this week is why I ask, he didn't even like walking in the relenting tide. I do kind of hope he is a swimmer.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

I think he will like he is still a bit young to tell. I do agree with the others try swimming in the more calmer water and patience and not make a big thing about it. You can introduce him to water let him become comfortable with it and have fun near it if he seems reserved about it. I would not force him he has to want to go in on his own even if he is following another dog or you or chasing a toy in the water. I would put a long lead on for the first few swims if you are not going in with him.

Max was a winter pup so his first swim was when he was 5-6 months. he loves the ocean and the big waves he always liked even as a young pup he would walk through the surf.The riptides can be strong and the waves on most days so I made sure his first swim did not drag him out or Knock him down. Which I don’t think he would mind. For first swims though the bay where there the tides were mild were best for first swims. I am watchful of the ocean it is rough. I keep him from going in the ocean when the sun goes down. Once or twice he has seen something in the water at that time of day that looks like he was going to jump in after but called him away.

Luna did not ever care for surfing the waves in the ocean lol maybe if the ocean had a deep connected sand bar she will want to swim otherwise has not much interest in the ocean. Luna much prefers the calmer bay. She was an older pup to by the time summer came around. Her first swim she followed us in the water to do some small swims in the bay in the spring time. In the summer second time we brought Max with luna and kids and we all swam in the bay. They both have lots of fun in the water. Luna would just swim around all day if she could. They both watch over the kids and want to swim out to them if they go under. The hose to them is bath time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Crowned Member

IME with my dogs, I find that they either like to swim or they like to splash around on the water's edge. It seems to be an either or proposition. And then you have the ones that simply prefer their water squirted from a hose.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs learn a lot from other dogs. If you have friends with dogs, take the puppy with and let him watch.
Nigel and ausdland like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page