Preparing for wildlife encounters - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Preparing for wildlife encounters

We live in the forested PNW so plenty of wild life around. When we hike the trails Deja wears her Ecollar just in case but so far I never needed to use it as she has the routine down well: if she sees deer, she comes back to me. To alert predators, she wears a bell in the unlikely case they don't hear us coming and I am not a good singer.
I also have a referee whistle ready and a cell phone with siren sounds. I decided not to take mace or bear spray as it most likely blows back in my own face.
I always leave a note on the kitchen table with the location I am going. And if a cougar eats me or Deja, at least I tried to keep us safe. Anything else that I am overlooking? My main worry is a cougar as there have been plenty of sightings and we have them on our motion-activated cameras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:03 PM

Wow! I am super impressed, you really thought this through! And it sounds like you have an awesome dog. I have nothing to add myself, just wanted to send kudos!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GSD mix, rescued last minute, the best furiend ever.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, forgot; I don't do guns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 PM

There was a news article the other day about a woman and her dog being followed by a cougar.She yelled at it and it didn't move.Then she played a Metallica song on her phone loudly and it ran off.Maybe an air horn is a good idea?
wolfy dog, Kyrielle and CometDog like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Elite Member

I like Blackjacks (telescoping heavy but thin metal baton..few animals will not at least back up to a crack in the sensitive snout) in an ankle or belt holder combined with pepper spray in same carry fashion. If you're on the ground your ankle or your midsection is often easiest to get to (think fetal position). There is also a particular pepper spray I like called Sabre. It will fire a stream (better than spray in wind conditions) for any orientation. A lot of canisters wont fire properly from upside down etc. I am a certified instructor for both. Fly me to to PNW and I will give you a free one week lesson No but seriously if you decide to go that route I can send you some good tutorials.

Thing about Cougars is when they do get you, it's qiet and from behind. One that is testing will approach you from the front. One that is committed, you wont even know he is there until he is on you.
car2ner likes this.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Banned

A sturdy walking stick that can easily be turned into a defensive stick. Or a whacking stick if it comes to it.

Flares, lots of those. With a flare gun. Not only will it help to have someone find you if you are injured, but it also helps to keep the animals away. And worse case scenario, you could shoot a flare at an attacking animal. It will scare it, but it’s similar as the rubber rounds cops use as non lethal management. Or you can just shoot it near to startle then away.

I also bring a few water purifying tablets. Better to be prepared, a lot of hikers die to dehydration once their water runs out, it will buy you come time. I keep a little altoid (sp) can with some dryer lint and matches. Easiest fire starter material I’ve found. I also carry rattle snake anti-venom kit, but I hike in the desert where there are more rattle snakes than cacti.

Your needs may be different depending on what environment you’re hiking in. Not familiar with the acronym you used.
CometDog likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:00 PM
Elite Member

Oh ! And if cell reception is good, wear an AngelSense that is on your person. They are meant for autistic flight risks, but if you get one and subscribe (if you do this often) it is like 30 bucks a month and can help people find you if you are late back.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:01 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
There was a news article the other day about a woman and her dog being followed by a cougar.She yelled at it and it didn't move.Then she played a Metallica song on her phone loudly and it ran off.Maybe an air horn is a good idea?
It probably ran off to go lift weights. That is what happens when I listen to Metallica
dogma13 likes this.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:11 PM
Banned

They make a disgusting decoy smell that is safe for animals and humans that is supposed to work really well against bobcats. I don’t remember the name of it, but be prepared to smell like a combination of an uncleaned urinal, vomit if of some kind, and a distinctive odor I’ve yet to figure out. Skunk maybe?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
They make a disgusting decoy smell that is safe for animals and humans that is supposed to work really well against bobcats. I donít remember the name of it, but be prepared to smell like a combination of an uncleaned urinal, vomit if of some kind, and a distinctive odor Iíve yet to figure out. Skunk maybe?
Bring my 8 year old son on a walk. You'd be covered lol

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page