What is to cold? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunsilver
  • 1 Post By angelas
  • 2 Post By atomic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

What is to cold?

In your opinions is to cold to be left out over night for a GSD with standard coat or a Malinois with shelter ie. dog house

Then with doghouse with heated bed thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Doggy Dog 63 View Post
In your opinions is to cold to be left out over night for a GSD with standard coat or a Malinois with shelter ie. dog house

Then with doghouse with heated bed thanks
For a dog born and raised in Southern California? 45°

For a dog born and raised in the Alaska or Wisconsin? Much much colder.

What’s the context?

Previously 3K9MOM

The GSDs:
Tuxtla, Service Dog in Training
Ixtapa (GSD, ACD, Samoyed mix)

Plus several feisty independent beagles

Forever in my heart:
Celestún, CGC, Service Dog
Campeche, CGC, Service Dog
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Knighted Member

Depends so much on the dog. If you're a husky owner, you no doubt have been outside in the middle of a blizzard BEGGING your dog to come inside!
Attached Images

atomic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Banned

Depends on the dog. My GSD can’t handle cooler temps. I’m talking 50 or below. But she handles the heat like a champ. 117 doesn’t phase her, and you can often find her outside sunbathing when most normal people and animals would be indoors or hiding in shade.

My GSD/Husky is the opposite. Give him subzero temps and he’s a happy camper. As soon as it gets above 85, he avoids the outdoors like the ground is lava.

We keep an air conditioned dog house for them during the summer, and the husky will go straight for the dog house when we have to lock them out back for a bit.

My new GSD pup came from Washington. She can’t handle the heat. She goes out to pee, and immediately jumps into the pool to cool down after. Haven’t had her in the “winter” months here, so we shall see how she reacts, but I have a feeling she’ll want to be outdoors more often than naught.

I’ve never been a fan of having outside dogs. I know not everyone agrees with me, but I don’t see the point to having a dog that’s just going to be outside all the time.

Do you have a garage? could you install a doggie door with an x-pen on the inside of the house with a comfy bed and toys she can access rather than leaving her outdoors all the time? Then she can choose if she wants to be indoors in the x-pen, or outdoors via a doggie door exit?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I live in Spokane Wa. and sometimes our winters can get on the cold side not extreme like Alaska or Minisota so I was wondering with adaqiut shelter heated dog house would that be okay for a GSD during the day when I was at work it would be in a fenced yard not in a kennel
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Knighted Member

It would also depend if you dog is conditioned to staying outdoors. A dog that lives 90% in the house is not going to suddenly have the undercoat of a dog that spends 90-100% of its time outside. So tossing that dog outdoors when it's -20 is going to be a huge shock regardless of what heated or insulated dog house is available. And of course, you also have to up the dog's caloric intake so that it can keep itself warm.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:29 AM
Crowned Member

20 F and below is the limit I set for my gsd. He is a house dog though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:12 AM
Master Member

I live in the south in the country and many people have outdoor dogs. I don’t agree with it. If you are going to make a dog a part of your family, or intend for it to have a bond and protect, you must also give it a reason to. In my opinion GSDs love winter, they are prepared for it.
tc68 and car2ner like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:06 AM
Master Member

I had an indoor/outdoor dog when I was a teen. Our Great Dane (short fur) was outside in the yard (with doghouse) during the school/workday when nobody was home, and did fine. She had a doghouse made out of packing crate which I built with help from my dad, made to just the right size, and kept full of fresh dry straw. It had a small "patio" and you had to turn to go into the house, so that keeps drafts out. It was raised off of the ground. The roof was lined with waterproof material. She was OK for all seasons, including winter, this way. But for evenings/nights she was always in the house with us, so she missed the extremes of the winter cold (northeastern USA). Actually many neighbors left their dogs out in the fenced yard when at work, it was very common back then!

I'm not sure how cold it gets in Spokane but I think your dog should be fine provided you carefully research the house. Waterproof of course, raised off ground, designed to keep drafts out, and small enough that dog can warm with its own body heat. Keep full of a material like clean fresh DRY straw. I don't think you need a heater (would that be a fire hazard?). In other words, don't skimp on the doghouse and I think your dog should be fine!

** funny sudden memory - when having teen angst, I used to like to go sit inside the doghouse with my dog! it was very cozy and peaceful in there.**

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix

Last edited by GSDchoice; 08-18-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:18 AM
Master Member

I wanted to add...leaving a GSD or Malinois out in the yard is very different from leaving a "gentle giant" like a Great Dane out. They are more protective/territorial and they could make a nuisance out of themselves barking at things. They are more athletic and could climb over the fence. They could also do something terrible like bite a person who is reaching over the fence. Hopefully you don't live in an area where lots of people and traffic go by your fenced yard, because I would rethink the plan of leaving the dog out, if you do...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page