My GSD is suddenly growling at me these past few days - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

My GSD is suddenly growling at me these past few days

Hello everyone! My GSD is now 1.8 year old. His behavior has been pretty good. We thought he was getting more mellow and affectionate as he gets older. Just recently he started this thing where he will go towards us all lovely and make us massage him. I was so happy... until three days ago. Every night before bed, I will pet him and tell him how much I love him. Three days ago, I did the same, pet him before bed and nothing was different about that night. He let out a slight growl towards me as I pet him. I was shocked and thought I heard it wrong. I tried to pet him again and he growled again. I stopped immediately and he was staring at me the whole time! I was thinking maybe he was just tired and wasn't feeling it. Yesterday I tried to pet him again before bed as usual. He growled again! Just before that, he was chilling with my hubby so it can't be that my GSD was tired. He was staring at me again like the other day.

Then tonight was the worst. I came out of the shower and he was just laying next to my hubby. He got up so I knew he was awake. I said hi to my doggy and with my usual voice, but then he started growling at me pretty loud, louder than the other days. He started backing up and growling at the same time, trying to hide behind my hubby. I was in shock and fear. Then after a bit, he started coming towards me while still staring and growling. My hubby separated him from me and later he started to avoid going near me. This is just sooo weird. Nothing happened three days ago that's out of the ordinary. The ONLY thing I can think of is maybe I'm taking medicine for the past few days so he can smell it or maybe I'm pregnant and don't even know it.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I don't want to live in fear of my dog. I love him so much! Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 AM

The best way to handle this guarding of your husband is for your husband to get up and walk away.This gives your dog nothing to guard.
Another way is to call your dog to you instead of approaching him when he's close to your husband.
Try very hard to be consistent and not let this behavior become habitual.
tc68, ausdland, Kyrielle and 2 others like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Crowned Member

First, go get him vet checked. Sudden behavioral changes should be checked for medical issues. Personally, I don't believe that a dog that has never reacted to you before is suddenly guarding your husband from you especially when he was not in the picture the first time he growled.

Second, the fact that he backed up behind your husband shows fear or insecurity. It sounds like he is reacting to something about you. So yeah...could be the medicine. Could be something about you is chemically altered by illness or pharmaceuticals. My dog reacts strongly to my daughter when she isn't taking her meds or when she was doing illegal drugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmsxphantasyx View Post
Hello everyone! My GSD is now 1.8 year old. His behavior has been pretty good. We thought he was getting more mellow and affectionate as he gets older. Just recently he started this thing where he will go towards us all lovely and make us massage him. I was so happy... until three days ago. Every night before bed, I will pet him and tell him how much I love him. Three days ago, I did the same, pet him before bed and nothing was different about that night. He let out a slight growl towards me as I pet him. I was shocked and thought I heard it wrong. I tried to pet him again and he growled again. I stopped immediately and he was staring at me the whole time! I was thinking maybe he was just tired and wasn't feeling it. Yesterday I tried to pet him again before bed as usual. He growled again! Just before that, he was chilling with my hubby so it can't be that my GSD was tired. He was staring at me again like the other day.

Then tonight was the worst. I came out of the shower and he was just laying next to my hubby. He got up so I knew he was awake. I said hi to my doggy and with my usual voice, but then he started growling at me pretty loud, louder than the other days. He started backing up and growling at the same time, trying to hide behind my hubby. I was in shock and fear. Then after a bit, he started coming towards me while still staring and growling. My hubby separated him from me and later he started to avoid going near me. This is just sooo weird. Nothing happened three days ago that's out of the ordinary. The ONLY thing I can think of is maybe I'm taking medicine for the past few days so he can smell it or maybe I'm pregnant and don't even know it.

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I don't want to live in fear of my dog. I love him so much! Thank you in advance!
I bolded a few things. First of all, don't give him affection on his terms. Give it on yours. He doesn't get to demand anything. Secondly, get him off the bed. That privilege was lost. Put a drag line on him, if you have to. Get him out of the room, if necessary. Try not to be afraid of your dog. I have a resource guarder, but he is only a 30 pound dog. I am not at all nice when he growls at me. It doesn't scare me. It makes me angry. He has been kicked off of furniture and out of rooms. I once scooped him up off of my bed. How dare he growl at me, while he is on MY bed. As I grabbed him, like a sack of potatoes, I angrily said, "I don't think so!" I honestly think my anger scares him, because he doesn't know what I might do. But I am not afraid of him. I cannot imagine I would be any more afraid of my shepherd, if she growled at me. I'm the Queen B. Don't cross me.

Definitely stop giving affection. Affection is a reward and needs to be earned. Up the obedience. Make him work for everything he gets.

I used Mind Games with my growler. You don't have to do all of the steps, but it really helped in my case. Here is the link.

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/mindgames.html

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Stevenzachsmom; 08-08-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
First, go get him vet checked. Sudden behavioral changes should be checked for medical issues. Personally, I don't believe that a dog that has never reacted to you before is suddenly guarding your husband from you especially when he was not in the picture the first time he growled.

Second, the fact that he backed up behind your husband shows fear or insecurity. It sounds like he is reacting to something about you. So yeah...could be the medicine. Could be something about you is chemically altered by illness or pharmaceuticals. My dog reacts strongly to my daughter when she isn't taking her meds or when she was doing illegal drugs.
This. Step one, vet testing. Have them do a SNAP panel. Ticks are awful this year, and even pets on preventatives are getting sick. And not just Lyme. Ehrlichiosis, Babesia. Thyroid panel. Vitamin panel (deficiencies can cause behaviors).

Does your husband pet him that way? You could be hitting an unnoticed injury. These dogs have a high threshold of pain. You could be hitting an injured shoulder whereas your husband isnt if he does not pet him same way. Have the vet do a whole body go over.

And yes as previously stated it could be your meds. My dog detects my sons seizures and gets very agitated (humans smell differently when they are seizing) . He also cant stand a brother I have who unfortunately cant show up to Thanksgiving without being on something. Not that you are high..but you know what i mean.

Or it may be maturity is setting in for your dog and he is being a jerk. For that you need a breed knowledgeable trainer who can put eyes on the behavior. Record it if it is only happening at night. Every bit of footage you can give the trainer when he isnt there will be valuable.

Good luck OP. Keepus posted.
Jax08 and xmsxphantasyx like this.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:32 AM

If the behavior started three days ago, and the new meds started 3 days ago, I'm going to agree with others that it must be the new meds. If you can safely stop these meds, and he goes back to normal, you'll have your answer.
Jax08 and xmsxphantasyx like this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:12 PM
Crowned Member

My first dog, strong willed male (I didn't know a whole lot about training) immediately became disobedient when I was pregnant. In fact with the last baby he was more accurate than the early pregnancy test. A few days before birth he became his normal self again. His behavior towards my hubby never changed though.
From (only one) observation I saw that the males avoided the pregnant and dog and later the litter with mom until the pups were 7 weeks old.
The new meds and your dog's behavior is too much of a coincidence I would say.
Benjaminb and xmsxphantasyx like this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Elite Member

Sorry to say but sounds like he needs more structure and containment. A couple female friends with male GSD’s, one a SaR dog, had the same problem when their dogs were adolescents. Both neutered, not my choice, their dogs and worked hard on structure which translated to a much better relationship.
xmsxphantasyx likes this.

Yana

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

I would get a full health work up and bring in a trainer to observe you and your dog to see what exactly you are doing that sets him off.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Hello again! Thank you all sooo much for your inputs and suggestions! For reference, I am currently taking antibiotic medicine. Sorry for any confusion, my doggy sleeps on the floor in our room every night and usually stays more on my hubby's side of the room. To note, I've always pet him by kneeling down to his level because he's laying down. Also to note, my doggy has always obeyed my hubby out of everyone in the household so I'm probably a nobody to him . I will try to take a test tonight to rule out pregnancy (I don't have reasons to believe I am but just in case). If I'm not, we will schedule a visit to the vet to make sure it's not medical reasons for his recent change. Thanks again to you all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
The best way to handle this guarding of your husband is for your husband to get up and walk away.This gives your dog nothing to guard.
Very great suggestion! We will try this tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my hubby was also there the first time my doggy growled at me. My hubby was there each time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Definitely stop giving affection. Affection is a reward and needs to be earned. Up the obedience. Make him work for everything he gets.
Great insight! You're correct, he should work for my affection. I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Does your husband pet him that way? You could be hitting an unnoticed injury. These dogs have a high threshold of pain. You could be hitting an injured shoulder whereas your husband isnt if he does not pet him same way. Have the vet do a whole body go over.

And yes as previously stated it could be your meds. My dog detects my sons seizures and gets very agitated (humans smell differently when they are seizing) . He also cant stand a brother I have who unfortunately cant show up to Thanksgiving without being on something. Not that you are high..but you know what i mean.

Or it may be maturity is setting in for your dog and he is being a jerk. For that you need a breed knowledgeable trainer who can put eyes on the behavior. Record it if it is only happening at night. Every bit of footage you can give the trainer when he isnt there will be valuable.
Yes, my hubby pet him moments before me but he was fine with it. I didn't get to really touch him much before he started growling already haha. You're correct, it could be that maturity is setting in and he's being a jerk trying to test his boundaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
If you can safely stop these meds, and he goes back to normal, you'll have your answer.
You're right, I should be off my antibiotic medicine soon so we will know then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
My first dog, strong willed male (I didn't know a whole lot about training) immediately became disobedient when I was pregnant. In fact with the last baby he was more accurate than the early pregnancy test. A few days before birth he became his normal self again. His behavior towards my hubby never changed though.
Thanks for your input. I will take a pregnancy test just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
Sorry to say but sounds like he needs more structure and containment. A couple female friends with male GSD’s, one a SaR dog, had the same problem when their dogs were adolescents.
I agree, I think my dog respects males more than females. He always obeyed my hubby since day one while he's pretty indifferent towards me. He'll like me if I give him treats during training and massages lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I would get a full health work up and bring in a trainer to observe you and your dog to see what exactly you are doing that sets him off.
I agree, if he continues to act up even if ruling out pregnancy and medical issues, we will really have to being in a trainer.

Thank you everyone! I will definitely keep everyone posted here!
Benjaminb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page