Sprayed by skunk! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By cvamoca
  • 1 Post By cvamoca
  • 1 Post By Sunsilver

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Sprayed by skunk!

Storm got sprayed by a skunk late Wednesday night, I went to the vet Thursday morning & got “skunk off” followed by nature’s mirical & then a regular dog shampoo, the smell is very faint now, however noticed lastnight her nose is red and her lips on the left side!, yes! It got her in the face, her eyes didn’t get it thank god, by her nose and lips are very irritated. Has anyone had this happen and any suggestions?, she isn’t acting like it’s irritating her but I keep dabbing a cool cloth on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF4BC113-C1EC-40D2-8276-C64B14821123_1564968402327.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	524055  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:03 AM

Did you know that a bottle of peroxide, some baking soda and shampoo, applied immediately, works better than anything else? WAY better than Skunk off. Neutralizes the whole chemical reaction.
1/2 hour after bathing, and no smell. The dog probably was scrubbing his or her face immediately afterward the spray? Skunk spray is really hard on the eyes, the face, the poor nose. It's almost caustic, it burns, dogs rub and scrub their faces afterwards. Been there, more than once. My husband got skunked in close quarters (a duckhouse) stopping one from killing our duck on hatching eggs.
techinstructor, saintbob and Saco like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:04 AM

I poured it on a cloth and washed my dog that way, because she was sprayed close to her eyes. She's a red sable and it did lighten her some but it worked the first time.

Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap: Konecny recommends mixing together one quart of three percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy), a quarter cup cup baking soda and one teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap. Wearing rubber gloves, wash your dog immediately after he’s been sprayed. Place the mixture on your dog’s coat (avoiding his eyes) and allow it to rest for about 20 minutes before washing your dog. Follow up by washing your dog with pet shampoo and rinsing well, repeating the process two to three more times as needed. Konecny warns against creating this mixture before a possible incident and storing it, as the mixture could explode if left in a bottle.
techinstructor likes this.

Last edited by cvamoca; 08-05-2019 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Recipe from PETMD not WebMd...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 AM
Knighted Member

The peroxide and baking soda remedy is the best skunk remedy ever. It was invented by a chemist, and he REALLY knew his stuff!

Prior to the Skunk Remedy, my dog got badly skunked. The groomer at the vet clinic bathed her FOUR TIMES with whatever skunk remedy they had at the time. She was still so bad, she needed a fifth bath after she came home, and my room-mate had to leave the windows wide open all weekend. In FEBRUARY, in CANADA!!

The next time it happened (same dog...she just didn't learn!) I'd heard of the skunk remedy and decided to give it a try. ONE treatment, and she was fit for polite company again!! I only had to do a spot treatment on her face and ears with a sponge! (Those big GSD ears hold a LOT of skunk spray!)

Here's a link to the Remedy: The Recipie & Directions Please note, Dawn dish soap is NOT the best soap to use. Ivory Liquid and Softsoap work much better.
cvamoca likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!, I also read about the hydrogen peroxide method but because she is black I thought I should try the skunk off instead!, and because it seemed to only be on her face I was nervous!, as for the skunk spray burn on her nose does anyone have any suggestions to what I could put on it or do I just leave it and let it heal, she doesn’t act like it’s bothering her but it looks sore
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Elite Member

This is a good product for eliminating odors. https://www.123odorfreekit.com/x-o-odor-neutralizer#!

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, I used vinegar and the smell faded, then disappeared a few days later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page