Plan for my 2nd dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Plan for my 2nd dog

Hello!

I am seeking guidelines and advice on getting my second dog. This is not an immediate plan, actually this post is about also helping me decide on a timeline given the overall situation.

So I have Rex, intact male, 18 months old. As far as training, I would say his obedience is good to very good. Off leah is very enjoyable. He has zero problems with other dogs. I would say drive is medium and building.

I want another dog that will bring fun to our family and add company to Rex when I am at work. I also want to experience and train with a dog that is more drivey and perhaps participate in dog sports. So I will be definitely looking for a working line.

Questions:

1. I imagine that I need to go for a female because Rex is male and it is smoother to have different gender? I imagine I will have to neuter Rex before she comes? What about if I went for an young trained female who was spayed; is it better to neuter him in all cases?

2. Age difference: if I get a puppy say in 6 months, they will have close to a 2 year gap. But my thoughts are more to buy a young female (6 months) in training and take an unpaid leave to go train her for two months in the country of import and bring her back. If that is the case, then maybe I will have to wait more so that the age difference is larger or does it matter?

3. What is the thinking of getting a trained young / adolescent female for what I am trying to do? I dont have any trainer here no clubs, and I do not think I will the stamina by myself without a trainer to achieve the level that I want from the dog.

Many thanks for your guidance.

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

Wait two more years. I would spay the female when she is two and keep them apart until that time when she is in season, instead of neutering your male. I have the best bond with Deja when she is the only dog.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:34 PM
Crowned Member

Hi Mozi. I'm no expert on anything, but thought I'd offer my perspective on your questions (while bumping it up in the queue!).

(1) There are no guarantees, but generally speaking mixed genders are a bit easier.

(2) Age difference can help for sure initially, but I personally wouldn't get too caught up in worrying about 2 yrs + or -. The real issue is the life stage of the dog. Puppies take lots of time and effort, older dogs not so much. At 3 yrs of age your dog should be fully mature, but still in his prime, and so getting a puppy or even an adolescent will certainly tax your spare time! Both would still require adequate training and exercise.

(3) It's not clear from your comments how you would be able to participate in any dog sports if there are no clubs or trainers in your area to work with. There is really no such thing as a "trained" adolescent dog, started yes. But dog sports of any kind require an ongoing effort and practice. Even basic obedience stuff loses polish if you don't practice frequently, competing in a sport of any kind would require even more time, effort, and equipment than it sounds like you may have at your disposal.

Hope that helps!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the feedback.

I read some more and I will be waiting for 2-3 more years to add my female.

After writing this post, I came across a trainer who seems to be on point in terms of training for obedience and bite sports. I will want to eventually have a dog who I can enjoy these activities with and maybe some agility while despite not having a club in town.

I will also do some research on how to form a club in my area and perhaps have my dogs as the nucleus to start something....

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page