Night walks in 100 degrees F and up to 65 percent humidity - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Night walks in 100 degrees F and up to 65 percent humidity

Hello guys. Been away for a while. Changed jobs and moved to a place that has lots of open space. Issue is that we are midst summer so night time we have temps and humidity as mentioned in the subject. I am walking Rex about 15 minutes or so at a normal walking space. He pants and paces himself. But I get worried. Is there a “heat stroke” danger if at night and walking leisurely? What are the limits there in your experience. Many thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Crowned Member

That sounds way too hot for a dog. For you, too!
Maybe a ChillyDog vest, and a human one for you, or if you can, invest in a dog treadmill. A friend of mine found a used one for a really good price.

https://glaciertek.com/chillydog-cooling-vest/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:50 PM

When I lived in areas that exceeded 100 degrees, my dogs activity levels decreased significantly and the needs for walks were fewer - don’t feel required to walk your dog in extreme temps. Granted, dogs acclimate to the environments that they live in so 100° to Rex will be tolerated differently than my dogs who are used to 50-80° at any point in a year.

I utilized early morning and night walks, visited pet friendly warehouse stores with a/c, I also offered kiddie pools for them so soak their feet and belly’s.... many friends also had pools for days that I wasn’t able to make it to the ocean for a swim.

It’s a season and a half, I’ve always found it to be manageable.
tc68 and MineAreWorkingline like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 07-28-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:09 PM
Banned

We’ve shut down evening walks, the asphalt and concrete just soak up too much heat, and you can feel the heat coming up at you. We found early morning to be the best time. Everything is a lot cooler in the morning than any other part of the day. We stopped agility all together. More inside games and pool swimming. It’s currently 114 with 56% humidity, and pretty much stays that way until well past dark.

Their activity levels do drop so much during the summer, it actually gives me a break. Normally Crios and Lyka go nuts when they hear me getting down collars and leashes, and it takes 10 minutes for them to settle before I’ll even attempt to collar and leash them. Right now I could have a leash parade back and forth in front of them, and they would barely lift their heads from the cool tile. lol

I wouldn’t chance a night walk. Early morning is best. Before the sun rises.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:11 AM

I second those saying that's too hot. I spent 3 mos.(sans dogs) in Ocotillo, CA and the only time I saw people out with or without dogs was early morning.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 AM

Jupiter and I walk around 8 PM, when it's just under 100. The pavement is fine, but the air is damned hot. Not like when the sun's out, though. I look for grassy areas and don't push the pace. I give him water and let him splash in any puddles, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

The low temps here in Phoenix are around 88 right now. By 5:30, it's already getting near 90. Rough time of year.

Misting can drop temperature by around 30 degrees, so maybe that would help.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:27 PM
Master Member

I live in Southern Florida near the Everglades. Summer is obnoxious here. I do early morning and late evening walks. Activity and outside time is limited during the day and fresh water is always available.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

There has been a heat wave here for weeks. Summer nights that have been cool have not. The pavement is not hot at night but there was no night breeze. Humidity lingers. The difference though the sun does not blare down on you and cook you. Even in wAter you have to be careful to over do it.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:50 PM
LRP

We don't push either dog in the heat, they stay pretty active despite the 100+ degree we are currently feeling and to boot our AC went out this weekend so they couldn't even cool off inside. We just provide lots of water to play in and to drink. Lots of frozen or cold treats to help cool them down and we limit activity. If they wanna run around they will, but in the heat we don't walk them.

If you think dogs can’t count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only two of them.
Phil Pastoret (author)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, too hot and that humidity really zaps them IMO! Moo ( non GSD ) is old but wants to go on walks/car rides. We do early morning, and if it's getting toward 80 we stay in the shady grass and trees of the park. It's a slow walk anyway, it's just mainly for his enjoyment with a little exercise for him. But I can tell the humidity gets too him so it's a very slow short walk!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page