I think she understands English - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I think she understands English

Today I had someone over to mow our field. Deja met him nicely and after showing him the field (Deja thinking we were going to play!) she and I went back inside. A little while later she barked from the window when she saw the tractor at work. I literally calmly told her, " Thanks for letting me know, I have seen it too and everything is fine." She looked at me and back to the tractor and lied down without 'commenting'. I am stunned how she interpreted what I said to her without ever having her taught a long sentence lik that. Her commands are in two-syllables at the most. I guess it is because we have happily lived together for 5 years. I know she is my soul mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Scarlet and I are like that.
I rarely give “commands”, but instead talk to her in sentences. For example the other day, I needed to go out the back door which is behind the couch. Scarlet went ahead of me, and of course was in my way. I said “look missy, you need to back it up right now, because you are in my way”. She flew backwards out of the space, like someone had shot her out of a cannon. Scarlet can also be picky sometimes about eating. She’ll have a little bit, and then get distracted. The other day I said “that cat is going to eat your food if you don’t knock it off”. She whipped around and dove on her bowl, as the cat was watching from across the room. The cat got a really dirty look. I basically just talk to her like a kid, lol.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

I talk to all my dogs. Sabi clearly understood what I was saying, Bud liked the sound of my voice and Shadow has flashes of genius.
Obviously they pick up key words, (car, walk, vet, etc.) and we know they are masters at body language but that never explained to me how some dogs seem to understand so much more.
I'm across the yard and Sabi has her back to me trying to get carrots out of the garden. I say something like "I prefer you not do that" and she huffs and walks away.
Sabi was never taught to retrieve articles. I had blood poisoning and was going into septic shock. I had collapsed on the floor and Sabi was trying to help me up. I said to her "I need my phone" and she looked at me for a second and promptly went and got my phone.

I told Shadow today "do something even if it's wrong" so she did Spin, followed by Speak.

I asked Bud once "what do you want to do?" He looked at me and peed on Shadow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Master Member

Bud's story so funny! And getting your phone, that's impressive...

I think my dog laughs.

I tried to get him up for a walk but instead of seeming eager like usual, he was reluctant. He hesitated in the hall, but once I clipped on his leash, he went obediently out the door with me. As we were starting out of our yard, we were hit with the first big fat raindrops!! We turned around to go right back and while we went up the front steps, my dog turned and looked at me kind of with the corners of his eyes, and a laughing expression. I have seen it before and I swear it's like he is saying, ha ha ha!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:33 PM

I say things to Scarlet like “if you were a real dog, you know, like a golden retriever, you’d bring me the remote so I don’t have to get up”. So far she just looks at me like I’m stupid.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I say things to Scarlet like “if you were a real dog, you know, like a golden retriever, you’d bring me the remote so I don’t have to get up”. So far she just looks at me like I’m stupid.
I love the looks! Sabi used to give me a look that strongly suggested I was to stupid to breathe.

She also used to sort of snort and flip her nose at me, which I eventually realized was the doggie equivalent of a middle finger.
readaboutdogs and wolfy dog like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:15 AM

I get the side eye, along with deep sighs, when things aren’t going her way. She’s a big talker too, which is really cute and massively obnoxious at the same time. There’s no trying to figure out what’s going on in her head. She lets you know, whether you want to know or not.

~ Diane ~

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:46 AM
Banned

I talk to my three all the time. Probably because it’s either talk to the dogs, or admit freely that I enjoy talking to myself.

While the dogs are all eating, if Seiran tries to sneak past me to get into the kitchen to eat Lyka’s food, I just look at her and say “go eat your own food you fatty” and she turns around and goes back into the dining room and her food bowl.

With Crios getting ear infections like crazy every summer, and me having to put him basically in a headlock to get the drops in his ears, I finally got fed up one time and said “you know, if you would stop putting up such a fight, we could have this over and done with in under a minute.” He never fought the ear drops again, and lays down and gives me his ear. I put the drops in, rub the outside of his ear, and then he turns over and gives me his other ear. He 100% has an attitude and quite literally rolls his eyes and huffs when I’m mumbling under my breath about what a pain he is and that I know he purposely does stuff like strewing a comb he’s chewed up around every room of our house.

Lyka’s favorite is when I tell Crios I’ve had enough of his attitude for the day. She then herds him into his crate and pushes the door closed. Too bad she can’t latch it for me too!

I’ve always thought either dogs are way smarter than they are given credit for, or I’ve just lost my mind believing my dogs know what I’m saying, but I’m okay with either one of those being true! Lol
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I love the looks! Sabi used to give me a look that strongly suggested I was to stupid to breathe.

She also used to sort of snort and flip her nose at me, which I eventually realized was the doggie equivalent of a middle finger.
One of my Whippets could pout. I told her to stop something that was a little annoying (they never show real problem behavior) and she turned around and left, only to look back one time at me with a dirty look as to punish me. That's how it looked like. Never had the "doggy middle finger" from Deja; she is too loyal for that.
readaboutdogs and Sabis mom like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Bud's story so funny! And getting your phone, that's impressive...

I think my dog laughs.

I tried to get him up for a walk but instead of seeming eager like usual, he was reluctant. He hesitated in the hall, but once I clipped on his leash, he went obediently out the door with me. As we were starting out of our yard, we were hit with the first big fat raindrops!! We turned around to go right back and while we went up the front steps, my dog turned and looked at me kind of with the corners of his eyes, and a laughing expression. I have seen it before and I swear it's like he is saying, ha ha ha!

If I pay attention it seems that my dogs are playing jokes on me. If you listen carefully you can hear them laugh from time to time. It is usually a few short quiet huffs. When the alarm goes off in the morning during work days, I get up and immediately my girl-dog will jump on the bed and lay on my pillow. To her that is a great joke and she laughs. It is the only time she lays on my pillow.

Yeah, sometimes it sure does seem they understand more than just marker words. The time of day, body language, routine, key phrases, it all comes together delightfully.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page