Wondercide - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wondercide

Looking to see what type of results people have had with Wondercide? We typically don't have issues with fleas and only occasionally with ticks so it's been years since we've used anything.

My wife took Remi to visit a friend a couple weeks ago and discovered last night that the friends dogs have fleas. We can't find fleas on our dogs, but we assume with Remi playing with their dogs he may have brought some home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

I like and use it and found it to be effective but the killing action happens if the little pests actually get wet by it. Once it dries it basically becomes a repellent. I use it as a second line of defense and I have caught ticks crawling slowly, seemed to be looking for a clear patch of fur to burrow in. Havenít had a problem with fleas yet. The horse flies are pretty brutal but wonít land on his ears which is what they tend to target the most.

I also spray it on his bed and leave it outside to dry and air out as I find the odor to be strong and so does my boy so I use it outside and apply it on a paper towel and rubbing him down with it. Keeps him from inhaling the spray. I like the Rosemary as it seems less strong of an odor but all of their sprays have cedar oil in the formula. They did come out with wipes recently but I havenít tried them.

They did change the formula and there are some ingredients listed that werenít there a few years back so if your looking for something pure, check the website for the ingredient list.

Since this would be a once in a while thing it might be worth you while trying. Giving him a good wipe down wiping against the fur should take care of any thing hiding. The stuff is potent when wet.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

I tried it during our worst tick season last year in addition to serestos which don't do the whole job. I wasn't impressed. i guess I might have found fewer ticks but they definitely still got some, I'd find them crawling on a freshly sprayed dog. I sprayed them with Wondercide every time I walked them.

Then they started getting sticky and nasty from me spraying this crap on them and they still got ticks. Plus I found the smell objectionable.

Just give your dogs a Comfortis pill and whatever they brought home will be gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 04:28 AM
Crowned Member

Didnt work for us, and, whew, the smell of cedar is enough to knock you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:04 AM
Master Member

I'll follow this thread. I looked into Wondercide a while back. Wasn't sure too. 1 for it works, 1 for maybe works and 1 for doesn't work.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
I like and use it and found it to be effective but the killing action happens if the little pests actually get wet by it. Once it dries it basically becomes a repellent. I use it as a second line of defense and I have caught ticks crawling slowly, seemed to be looking for a clear patch of fur to burrow in. Havenít had a problem with fleas yet. The horse flies are pretty brutal but wonít land on his ears which is what they tend to target the most.

I also spray it on his bed and leave it outside to dry and air out as I find the odor to be strong and so does my boy so I use it outside and apply it on a paper towel and rubbing him down with it. Keeps him from inhaling the spray. I like the Rosemary as it seems less strong of an odor but all of their sprays have cedar oil in the formula. They did come out with wipes recently but I havenít tried them.

They did change the formula and there are some ingredients listed that werenít there a few years back so if your looking for something pure, check the website for the ingredient list.

Since this would be a once in a while thing it might be worth you while trying. Giving him a good wipe down wiping against the fur should take care of any thing hiding. The stuff is potent when wet.
Interesting about the formula change. A number of years ago I had a bottle of Wondercide to help with mosquitos and biting flies while camping and it appeared to help. I wish I could find and compare the old bottle to the bottle I picked up yesterday. Never relied on anything for fleas before as they've never been a problem.

I've searched all my dogs over and over and still cannot find a flea or "dirt" so if this continues I won't know if it works or not, lol
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:54 AM
Master Member

Love this stuff works for both the dog and humans. Never had a tick knock on wood. Mosquito stay away. Not worried about ingredients heck flea and tick meds have worse ingredients but have to give it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Interesting about the formula change. A number of years ago I had a bottle of Wondercide to help with mosquitos and biting flies while camping and it appeared to help. I wish I could find and compare the old bottle to the bottle I picked up yesterday. Never relied on anything for fleas before as they've never been a problem.

I've searched all my dogs over and over and still cannot find a flea or "dirt" so if this continues I won't know if it works or not, lol
Same here about having an old bottle, I did and did compare then threw it away. Wish I had kept it. It listed only three ingredients. The change seemed to happen after they went on shark tank and acquired an investor.

As for knowing if it works, instead of a fly swatter, when a fly lands on my window sill, I aim and spay. If the spray hits, the fly goes down. Also got a tic imbedded in me. I was squeamish pulling it out, sprayed it first (don’t know if I should have done that but...) pulled it out and it was dead already.

I’m not promoting the product other than sharing my experiences and I really don’t like the additives of the new formula but I hat tics and fleas worse. And no, it doesn’t get them all and does leave a bit of residue as has been mentioned.

Edit to add: the old formula had a higher cedar oil percentage, can’t remember what it was, I think about 10-15% but that’s a guess. The new formula only has 4.2. They did explain on their site that testing proved the lower amount was just as effective. Don’t know if that explanation is still on their site. I have an old bottle of cedarcide (a competitor). Their percentage stated cedar oil at the higher level.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; Today at 10:19 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This site discusses the formula change. I’m not sure how accurate it is, but it sounds plausible.

https://keepthetailwagging.com/is-wo...safe-for-dogs/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I like the yard spray. It knocks down mosquitoes and fleas, and I never see a tick in our yard. HOWEVER...you have to spray weekly, and it's washed away by rain. Right after spraying, the yard smells like a cedar closet (but the mosquitoes are temporarily gone). If you keep up with weekly yard spraying for at least a month (or even two), I think you'll get control of any fleas that are outside. With mosquitoes, you also need to use something like Mosquito Bits or Dunks in any standing water sources and catch basins monthly (these products are supposed to be non-toxic for aquatic life if they wash into streams, but they keep the mosquitoes from breeding).

As for the Wondercide dog spray, when we hike in places with lots of tall grass where ticks are likely to be in the West, I sometimes use it as a repellent in addition to their monthly RX meds so that we don't bring home any hitchhikers that haven't died by biting the dog yet. My dog HATES the smell and clucks at me when I'm rubbing it on, but I haven't seen a tick on him this year, even though my neighbors keep saying they're seeing them around the hiking trails. We're using Simparica (RX-only, oral med) for the summer while we're in tick-country to be sure he's safe though -- the risk of tick-borne illness is just too high for me to trust to essential oil.

The best product Wondercide makes is their shampoo bar for dogs. It has neem and other oils in it, and it's the easiest bath you'll ever give because of the bar shape -- I was astonished how much faster it was to bathe a dog. It smells wonderful and rinses easily.

Last edited by Magwart; Today at 11:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page