Which small breed can get along with a GSD? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

I know GSDs living with: (1) a chihuahua, (2) a yorkie, and (3) a shih tzu. ALL of the little dogs I know boss the GSDs around -- these particular GSDs just roll with it. The yorkie is the biggest crap-starter of the bunch, and that's probably a breed trait -- he thinks he's a giant-sized dog.

One major caveat: it's not just about the GSDs accepting little dogs who sometimes have Napoleon complexes. Accidents can happen even in very diligent homes with very easy-going, dog-friendly GSDs. The Yorkie that belongs to my friends required major ortho surgery because he accidentally got rolled by the GSDs when they ran after a squirrel. They didn't mean to hurt him, but he was trying to run with the big dogs and got under foot, breaking his leg badly.
Mudypoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers, i'll give some background: my mom wants a small dog for practical reasons (and because she likes small dogs), she recently went to see a Chi and she loved it, i told her about the dangers and she agrees but it's getting resentful with my GSD making comments like 'because of her i can't have anything' and stuff like that, i understand and i think is fair for her to have 'her' velcro dog, maybe i can convince her of getting another breed, with no napoleon complex that might be more suitable for us, my GSD is very gentle only when the other respects her, i don't know how gentle she would be with a dog who tries to boss her around.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know how old you are but if you have the resources, move out to a place of your own with the GSD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Doggy Dog 63 View Post
I don't know if this will help but we have a deer legged chiuaha and an Austrailian shepherd the Chiuaha was so fast and agile she couldn't catch him no dog could it was unreal he was good with all dogs my daughter's have husky Anitolian mix, Pitts, teacups they all get along. I think if you introduce them the right way your GSD will adopt what ever she get but all dogs react differently
Did your Chi bite as a puppy if you tried to take away something from his mouth?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Did your Chi bite as a puppy if you tried to take away something from his mouth?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:17 PM

NONE. It's not safe. One mistake and that Chihuahua's back is broken. Not worth it.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
I had a 3 x GSD's when I was a teenager, my mom had a Chihuahua.

Chihuahua got into their compound and growled at one of my bitches. My bitch gave it a correction; Chihuahua dead.

A GSD is much larger and big dogs do not go easy on smaller dogs. If the chihuahua was the same size then the correction would have been minimal but for the chihuahua, it was full force.

I have a small dog but I keep my GSD well away from it.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
This ^. If the situation is unavoidable, train your GSD to just leave it alone at all costs. My GSD 10 month old LOVES my cats. She tries to cuddle with them constantly and would die to play with them. It makes her so happy. But we’ve trained her to just stay away completely. She’s a puppy so it’s still in progress but working.

BUT your dog is older. Can you borrow a small dog from a friend for a week or so? See how it goes? I don’t want your mom to bring a dog home and then get her heartbroken because your GSD won’t accept it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

No. None of my dogs did. I never had to feel the need to test dogs with their food. I left them all alone. All my dogs knew as pups they would get a abundance of fresh food when I had to take something out of their mouth or when I walked bu when eating. They knew anyone’s presence meant nothing and would be left alone when they ate. I made sure of that. It is why crates are good to my chihuahua always eats in his crate. My chihuahua was raised with my kids. He loves kids to. Which is what you need when a lot of kids come over. I often brought him to soccer games, school shopping snuck him friendly’s once. Many breeders of Chihuahuas would not sell dogs to homes with small children either. As they can get hurt easily. I did go to a puppy pet store (i am not for pet stores either very much against puppy mills) and it was a love at first site with all of us. Walked out of the store with my daughter balling. Two days later that little guy still heavy in everyone’s heart. We went back to get him. Him and my daughter are quite a team. He did not ever get dropped, stepped on or sat on by a human or trampled by our dogs. It was stressful in the beginning bringing max home - as I was aware of all the stories of large dogs and tiny dogs but once I got figured out what worked and set boundaries all worked out. There are good stories and bad stories in everything. If I listen to all the bad stories I would have chosen another breed. Being aware, common sense, supervision with due diligence are always important in every kind of scenario and still there is no guarantees - that is life.
makira likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM

There will always be a risk. I personally am just as worried about myself accidentally hurting a dog that small as the big dogs. But I do know someone who has a Chihuahua along with a GSD and two Dobermans. I have a parrot that thinks he’s a dog sometimes, all of them get along and my dogs also know to leave my ducks alone too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page