Need road trip advice/tips - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Need road trip advice/tips

We are moving and will be taking a 34 hour road trip. It will take us 3 days to get to our destination with 2 dogs and 2 kids. We drive a 2015 Dodge Durango. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or any advice we should know before hand!
I’m very anal when it comes to buckling my dogs so I really want them to be safe in the car. Thing is, Fenrir is a big fella. He’ll be 10 months. My first initial thought was to put him and our other dog (a husky) at our third row seating in our suv. I’ll be putting a car seat cover on the seat. Since he’s big, I’m worried both dogs might get uncomfortable during the ride. Fenrir pretty much takes the whole back seat haha. They will be buckled in and we will make frequent rest stops. Another thing, my husband suggested we should just put the third row seats down, get a cargo cover, have them stay in the cargo and lay a mat or their beds down. Thing is, we can’t even fit both beds. Fenrir uses an XL. If we choose to just use his, both dogs will not fit on that bed. And the other will be without one. The thing I’m worried about with the dogs being in the back with seats down is they won’t be buckled in. I’ve tried it before when I took them to the vet and they both kept moving around in the back. My husband said we’ll be putting some of our stuff in the back with them, which will refrain them from moving around, but knowing Fenrir, he gets anxiety. He might chew on our stuff if he gets bored back there. And I just feel it’s totally unsafe to have them sit with our things. As you can see, I’m a very worried parent. I just want what’s safe and best for them. They won’t be able to sit in the middle row because both my kids use booster seats. Neither one of the dogs will fit in between my kids. So what do you guys have in mind? Should I just keep them with the third row seat up and be buckled in? Or with third row seats down laying in the cargo and not be buckled in? or if ya’ll have anything else in mind that I haven’t thought about, that’ll be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Put the 3rd row down and Put them in crates. Get SUV crates, both will fit side by side. They will be fine.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

If you have room for crates with the seats down, that sounds like the safest and most secure option. My dogs ride around in the cargo area of my small SUV without any issues, (no room for a crate, and I can't fold the seats down because we have two carseats in the back), but it would be ideal to have them in crates, I'm sure. Good luck on your move. That does sound like a trying journey with two young kids.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Put the 3rd row down and Put them in crates. Get SUV crates, both will fit side by side. They will be fine.
I forgot to mention we don’t have the money to buy travel crates 😞
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
If you have room for crates with the seats down, that sounds like the safest and most secure option. My dogs ride around in the cargo area of my small SUV without any issues, (no room for a crate, and I can't fold the seats down because we have two carseats in the back), but it would be ideal to have them in crates, I'm sure. Good luck on your move. That does sound like a trying journey with two young kids.
We just tried to put a large crate in the back of our suv with seats down but only one dog would fit in there 😅
It’s really hard to accomadate our GSD because he’s so big and also wanting him and our husky to feel comfortable and safe. Only thing I’m worried about is that some crates aren’t crash tested, which ours isn’t. So I guess crates will be out of the question.
It’s not our first time going cross country with our kids. They’re pretty use to it! But it’ll be the dogs’ first time so I’m either really overthinking it or I’m just that worried pawrent lol. 😅
Maybe we’ll just put them in the third row with their crash tested harness and seat belt. That way we can utilize the trunk and have their travel essentials.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone used CBD for anxiety (for their dogs)?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 PM

For Christmas we drove 12 hours one way with three dogs and a parrot. I have a trailblazer and we put the seats down and let them have free range. Well, the parrot had his own travel cage. My GSD was six months old at the time, he slept while under way with my older Pit Bull. But my Doberman was anxiety ridden the entire time, he was wide eyed and shaking by the end of it. No fun for any of us. We left towing a camper so we put our extra items in there, and he was MUCH happier with more space. He whined minimally and settled down most of the time. I’ve heard good things about CBD oil and even cat nip.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Elite Member

I have a dodge durango 3 GSD's (one a malamute mix) and all my SAR gear. I folded all seats down, put a memory foam liner and throw rug over it. Gear takes up third row seating (seats down but the cargo space of third row) and has a netting to tie it in place. Dogs are loose in car. A baby gate (two actually) are strapped behind front seats to keep dogs in back. I've had 3 accidents (none my fault; suicidal deer, someone merged into me on highway, and someone was speeding and failied to yield so a head on collision) and God is good! No injuries. Dogs totally OK. They were kept safe by (God) baby gates and memory foam absorbed a ton of the impacts.

Dogs usually settle quickly and lay down and doze or look out window (unless on a mission or training, in which case they look out window as excitement creates whining and barking) for the trip. I've hauled them on all day drives and had no issues..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:39 AM
Elite Member

If it were me I would just put the rear seats down. If you want to keep them from going over into the second row, seat barrier screens are pretty cheap to come by. For comfort you could just put down a couple old comforters or quilts. Or like Hineni7 mentioned get some bed foam. Walmart sells foam egg crate for cheap in the bedding dept. Cover it with a sheet or blanket.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrirthegsd View Post
Has anyone used CBD for anxiety (for their dogs)?
Doesn't do anything for excitability or anxiety. THC might but I hear it's toxic for dogs.
Crates are man's best friend.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in