Dog grieving loss of other dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Elite Member

Look up urban agility or parkour (sp?) on you tube there should be a ton of different vids. I would think a Mal would be energized with that kind of walk. Just goes easy and on softer ground at first. Something new that you and he can do together easily enough.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

In the title and in the post I said the dog was grieving I am aware he is grieving. Pouting is a word I used to describe his behaviour. Could have easily used a number of words to describe it. But hopefully by the use of the word you were able to surmise how his grieving was manifesting. And yes I did fail to say that he was there. So my appologies. I didn't really describe Freys death here at all.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

And I'll be sure to check that urban agility stuff out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

And rereading your post I see that I originally misread the part about the senile dog seeing a new dog as his old friend. That I can understand. I thought is said dogs in general. Not sure how I misread that so badly. Again my appologies.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
In the title and in the post I said the dog was grieving I am aware he is grieving. Pouting is a word I used to describe his behaviour. Could have easily used a number of words to describe it. But hopefully by the use of the word you were able to surmise how his grieving was manifesting. And yes I did fail to say that he was there. So my appologies. I didn't really describe Freys death here at all.
And none of us have said it and that's pretty awful, but I am sorry for the loss of Frey. I'm sure you are grieving as well and Tyr is likely picking up on that as well. When I said routine I was referring to keeping his life as normal as possible, don't alter the things he is used to like feeding and walking times. Dogs are comforted by familiar routines and places.
That said, introducing him to a new activity is a great idea and might just be a perfect distraction.
Herby likes this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:29 PM

OK, Herby, here's the deal. I'm old and very crabby (natural consequence of getting older). I am guessing that you are young. So maybe you might be interested in some advice from an old crab.

As you get older, one of the biggest regrets you can have is not having done right by a dog. So you really want to avoid that.

I'm guessing here that money might be an issue with getting another Boxer right away for your Mal. Understandable that you would not want to post that as a reason - if that's what it is - on a public forum.

But a good quality Boxer doesn't have to cost a mint.

Your best bet might be a retired breeding Boxer female. These are often not very expensive - the breeder is mainly interested in a finding a good pet home. You can call some Boxer breeders, explain your situation, and ask if they have anything like that available or if they know someone who does. You would want to aim for a Boxer on the younger side, given the shorter life expectancy of Boxers. But some Boxer females are retired young from breeding because of a delivery catastrophe that resulted in a C-section and spay.

You can often get a really nice Boxer pup at a reasonable price from a family with a pair of nice Boxer family pets that they occasionally breed. Just make sure they've done the appropriate health testing. Places to look;

http://www.hoobly.com/search?q=BOXER

http://www.puppyfind.com/for_sale/?b...3D26%26back%3D

http://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/boxer

Just make sure you meet the parents and that you're getting a Boxer and not a Pitbull or Pitbull mix.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend getting a Boxer from a rescue group, for two reasons. First, many rescue dogs have behavior problems (like dog aggression or worse) which you and your Mal do not need to deal with. Second, a lot of rescue groups pawn off Pitbulls as Boxers or Boxer mixes. And you are not looking for a Pitbull.

Many years ago, I made the mistake of getting a rescue male Whippet for my grieving female Whippet. He immediately attacked her. Back he went to the rescue group - which was furious that I didn't keep him - and I quickly found a retired show male Whippet who was perfect for her.

I strongly recommend that you get a sweet, good-natured, cheerful female Boxer. It's great that your two males were such excellent buddies, but male-female pairs are the safest bet.

Finding a reasonably priced Boxer like this will be a lot less trouble than hiking all over the place with your Mal trying to cheer him up. And it will make him a lot happier to have a Boxer babe.
Herby likes this.

Last edited by JonRob; 07-03-2019 at 07:32 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Bit younger yes. Closing in on 30 in a couple years.

I just released from the Army here in Canada. So money is tight but I just landed a decent higher paying job and money will not be an issue in a 2-3 weeks.

I do prefer to have male dogs as I find females to often be a bit on the grumpy side. But you may be onto something. I do want to do right by my dogs so I will work on getting him and ourselves a companion sooner rather than later.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Bit younger yes. Closing in on 30 in a couple years.
I knew it! I haven't seen 30 in a very long time.

Quote:
I just released from the Army here in Canada.
God bless you for your service to your country, and I really mean that.

Quote:
I do prefer to have male dogs as I find females to often be a bit on the grumpy side. But you may be onto something. I do want to do right by my dogs so I will work on getting him and ourselves a companion sooner rather than later.
They can be, but Boxers are a whole different ball game.

When you do get a companion dog for your Mal and you, please do us all a favor and post some pics of the happy couple. We LOVE pics here. And happy endings.
Herby likes this.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

In time. It takes time. When our King Charles passed away Topper our chi crawled on her body and just layed there I had to take him off. He was sad for quite awhile it was heartbreaking. We just gave him lots of love. Our choice of the next pup kept getting larger and larger so I choose a gsd pup. A few months later we brought home Max - Topper he was not happy at all and I was not surprised. Topper went after Max At the first sight. It was a huge adjustment for him and I know not the easiest. We gave him much love and boundaries were set. He did adjust fine with time and now lives with two shepherds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Herby likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page