5Likes
  • 1 Post By selzer
  • 1 Post By tc68
  • 3 Post By WIBackpacker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

GSD Breeders

Hi all,

Been trying to contact few breeders here in KY but seems like they are so busy that they don't even have time to return their messages. It's good to dins them out about their CS now then later.

Looking now into IN area. Hate it when people don't return their calls.

Sorry for the rant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 PM

There are a lot of shows going on right now, and people are on vacation too, so it might be a difficult time to catch someone.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:14 AM
Crowned Member

WTHeck is CS?
tc68 likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
WTHeck is CS?

Customer service?

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:09 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
WTHeck is CS?
For that matter..."dins." I don't understand that whole sentence.
selzer likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:13 AM

Be patient. Some of the best breeders are family operations with a few very good dogs and a few very good litters. It is not like calling a big business with a large staff to pick up calls. The entire process of getting an excellent pup takes time.

But I do understand the frustration of not getting a "hi, we got your message and will get back to you as soon as we can".

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
There are a lot of shows going on right now, and people are on vacation too, so it might be a difficult time to catch someone.
Yup. Lots of shows, competitions, school just got out (everyone with kids is adjusting their household schedule), sports, and the 4th of July is right around the corner.

Most of the dedicated dog people I know also work full time and have family/social commitments too, it's a balancing act.

Look up when local shows/trials in your area are, and show up. Spectators are almost always welcome, and you'll get to meet different people in one place at one time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Yep. All my breeder friends are at the big 5 day Okla City shows this week.

~ Diane ~

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:30 PM
Knighted Member

I recommend you check out Sportwaffen K9 in Indianapolis. Excellent dogs. You won't find a more knowledgeable breeder than Nate.
https://www.facebook.com/sportwaffenk9/

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

And, since everyone objects to people making a living off of dogs, a LOT of breeders work full time and take care of their dogs, deal with bitch owners wanting stud service, show entries.

They are human too. Which means they have families. Families have dead bodies occasionally, and sick bodies, and aging bodies, and hospitalized bodies and depressed bodies. So sometimes they can't get right back to you as though you are the only thing in their world right now. No one is paying them to sit at the phone for 8 hours every day, waiting for customers to call so they can answer their questions.

Actually, if you want to know, the average buyer is a pain in the butt. This is how it goes:
Hello?

Yeah, hello, do you have puppies?

I'm a breeder, but I do not currently have puppies available, when are you looking to get one?

Well... I was hoping I could come over today or tomorrow.

Yeah, well, maybe if you look in the newspaper you will find puppies that are already born and are ready to go, but usually when you go to a good breeder, you have to wait for the breeding and the whelping and the puppies to be ready to go, and sometimes, your number is not up on this litter and you have to wait for the next.

Ok, so when are you going to have puppies?

I am hoping that one of my girls will go into heat next month, then it takes 9 weeks before they are born, and another 8 weeks once they are born. So its going to be five months.

Oh. Well, how much do you charge for your puppies?

$$$$$

Oh forget it, I would never pay that much for a dog, I can get one down the street for half that.

Well, have a nice day.

Click.

Yep, jumped out of the shower and am now running late for work for that yayhoo.

Some will talk to you for a whole hour before telling you that the guy down the street is selling them for way less. Others tell you that they are in the military and are looking for a military discount.

Others tell you they are retired and don't need papers or anything, like the papers make them expensive. Dude! It takes just as much money to produce a dog without papers as it does to produce one with papers!!! -- ok, that's not true, you can save $2 per puppy if you want to sell some without papers. Hang on, Scrappy! You can't play with that toy, that is for the puppies who will be sold WITH papers. No, Scrappy! You get this Ole Roy, the Earthborn goes to the puppies WITH papers.

Yeah, I have always said, you really need to like people to be any good as a breeder, because a LOT of it is listening to people. You have to listen to them to weed out the weirdos. And they will hang themselves if you give them enough rope. And then, you can't just say, "Oh heck no will I ever sell you a puppy!" Nope, you need to take a little more time and convince them that they do not WANT to by a puppy from you.
That way, they leave happy. Without a puppy. Good.

We talk all the time about red flags with breeders, but I can tell you that we breeders probably have a whole lot more red flags when it comes to buyers -- duct tapes rotting meat to muzzle to teach dog not to go into the trash -- yep, red flag. Expects you to be available to them 24/7, but not to make any money on dogs -- huge red flag.

Sometimes I feel I am getting too old...

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page