Keeping Cool in the Summer - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Keeping Cool in the Summer

We all know GSDs need copius amounts of exercise and stimulation to be in top form. That means even if you are in a heat wave they still demand the play/work.

I take 2 year old Archie for off leash forest trail runs/hikes and swims in the creek to stay cool, yet get physical and mental stim. We do obedience training at the same time just for fun.

How do you keep your pup's cool and active?

Some pictures attached.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190623_113933_1561553685273.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	522633   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190626_074908_1561553701865.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	522635   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190623_114044_1561553721055.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	522637   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190623_114018_1561553749532.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	522639  
Sabis mom, GSDchoice and Mei like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:31 AM

Beautiful dog, really!

I appreciate the tips. Just moved to Texas and got a dog in the last few weeks and we're having some trouble getting exercise in the heat. He's not quite ready for off-leash yet, but I bought a 30ft leash and plan to start finding some places for him to go swimming. In the meantime, we're going out in short bits to our apartment complex's dog park, getting obedience training in out in the shade, etc. This time next year, I hope to be moving into a home with a yard for him to have at least a little pool setup.

Anyway, awesome pictures, awesome-r dog! Really, really beautiful!

Leigh
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Master Member

I have the T-Cool cooling vest we use for OB and Protection other then that we go swimming and I have a pool in yard for my boy when we are hanging around at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

Shadow is a non issue since with a weak heart she is hyper sensitive to heat. She gets her walks in the cool hours, even if that means middle of the night and during the day she sleeps. Normally I have a kiddy pool for her to splash in. I find her exceedingly sluggish through the warm months.
Other dogs did walks in shaded places, splashing in water if we could find any and rolling in cool grass. Always had the pool full for them as well. Sabi, Lex and Billy had to work regardless of temps and to aid in that we seldom allowed exposure to air conditioning. Access to water and monitoring for signs of distress were all that was allowed.
I think it's important for people to understand that while you may think air conditioning helps dogs actually do better if we allow correct acclimation to temperatures and conditions they need to live in.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

Keeping Cool in the Summer

Archie is very handsome and beautiful photos. Best best way to cool off. Yeah the dogs want to do things no matter the weather. We have some agility that when we want to bring its later in the day when the yard gets shade to keep them occupied. I have a hammock which helped me out lots when i was sick and had some bad days -I lay their and throw balls the later part of the day in the shady part of yard . If going for walks or bike rides through the neighborhood it’s early morning or early evening in the summer and we may run through a sprinkler that is edge of someone’s yard shooting in the streets We have no pool now but Max loved to jump in with the kids when the fun gets loud he needs to be part of their action. Now we have a baby pool I fill it up and it put all the balls in and they really keep busy. We visit Beaches most often in the summer and can range from early morning walks or early evening walks to beach days to half beach days. I myself have to watch the sun and like to go late in afternoon for most part. The bay is a place to swim late in the day after hours when dogs are allowed. The ocean they allow dogs to the left of the beach or after beach houses both sides. Everyone keeps there dogs on leashes and easy to find a spot with no one around where you let them off leash. If during day I go down with dogs I make sure I have umbrella set up so they take breaks out of strong sun. They are always practicing some kind of obedience to ignore all the piping clovers, deer etc., dogs etc. Max enjoys hunting for his swim toy in the oceans surf. Trail walks in parks we are lucky to know where the water spickets are and stick to the shady trails. Trips to the Ralph’s where ice cream is free to the dogs. Some past and present photos the ways I keep cool with the dogs and kids and get them all tired at the same time! The biothane lead is a bit slippery but like it best if beaches were to crowded and to leave on in water in first swims...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GSDchoice and LRP like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-26-2019 at 11:37 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Nice pictures, thanks for posting them.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

A fun thread! Shepherds are such cool dogs!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

I live in a humid, sub-tropical climate, we're enjoying winter at the moment. In summer I walk at or before dawn, and through dew soaked grass, it's cooling to his paws and the coolest part of the day. I always carry a litre of water with a collapsible bowl, and a wash cloth to wet and apply to his undercarriage, in case he's in danger of overheating. I don't let Nitro carry stuff on walks, he needs to be able to pant. He can lie down when he needs to. I monitor Nitro in summer very carefully for heat stress on walks.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:49 PM

Hi , I m based in Middle East where mercury level are touch 43deg Cel and over in midday.. so Max gets his walks after sundown. It’s still very warm and we do short walks and lots of water with ice to cool him off..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	746B084D-668A-460A-B2D2-CED3E3F37681_1561596470155.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	522657  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Your Archie looks and acts just like my showline. In the summer, if we go out, it is to the river. We have very hot and humid summers here and no ac. Nights don't really cool off in the summer so we don't have a lot of exercise options but to wait for summer to end and the weather to cool off.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page