Keeping Cool in the Summer - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:41 PM
Master Member

Wow, please let be reincarnated as one of your dogs so I can frolic in pools and streams and lakes and run on the beach....:-D

I just finished a last client email at 11, this was a reminder to go get a life!!

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Knighted Member

We now have the pond, half of the propertyis shaded very well after noon so it's fairly easy. Prior when we lived in town I used a Rubbermaid horse trough for the girls. Very durable and I liked that I could use the plug to recycle the water for my plants. It's sideways, I have no idea why.😳
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_150534_HDR_1561633778593.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	522663  

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:06 AM

We have a deep creek near our house that Jack plays in when we take walks. We also take hikes in the shady forest or at the lake. He also gets brushed fairly frequently to help remove loose undercoat, spread oils, and keep his fur nice and neat--helps dissipate heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Creeks are a fun way to keep cool, elevation helps with those temperatures as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51AF4FEC-AF9B-4B15-880A-07C217224FB0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	522689  
car2ner and bnormal like this.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-17-2019 at 07:20 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:16 PM

Living in the suburbs in Cali means we have to plan our most of our “adventures” since we don’t have much nature to take them too that’s close by besides hiking up dirt hills.

We no longer have the convenience of an off leash park inside our community since we moved. But it also our first summer with the dogs being old enough to do fun stuff with. Last summer we had just gotten them and they were going through their shots so we were very limited on what we could do with them.

Since we live in a condo we have to be really proactive with them. I usually take them for a morning walk up passed some parks and neighborhoods for about 25-40 minutes depending on how they’re feeling. It’s usually pretty structured. I also practice their Obedience. Usually one walks next to me and the other gets to walk ahead and I switch off throughout the walk. We stop a couple times so they can sniff around.

They get a very unstructured walk inside our community right before I go to work around 4pm. It’s pretty shaded and lots of grass areas so I’m not too worried about the heat. Usually about 10-15 minutes. Letting them sniff and go wherever they want.

Later in night we take them across the street to the park and let them run around on their long leads and we play with the flirt pole. My fiancé will run and let them chase him.

They each get their own morning or evening jog/walk about 2x a week.

We will be swimming at least once a week soon. A local dog park that’s on some acres just opened a huge swimming/water park for dogs. So we plan on taking Odin there. Layla doesn’t like water enough to bring her. She’d just bark at everyone swimming.

Also our best friends mom let’s us take them swimming over at her house. Well Layla just chills out while we all swim.

We also plan on taking them to the beach or a fun outdoor outing at least twice a week since they’re able to enjoy it now.

We just to get an creative as possible. We play a lot during the day with them inside. They lay out on the patio and people watch. We play hide and seek. They play a lot with each other as well.

We’ve found some trials with small waterfalls and pools of water within half an hours drive so we will be taking them there.

Just trying to find fun stuff for them to do that involves water or taking them to parks at night when it’s cooled off
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:40 AM

I picked up two $10 kiddy pools from target. The pup and 9yr old gsd’s like splashing around in it to cool down.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfischer042 View Post
I picked up two $10 kiddy pools from target. The pup and 9yr old gsd’s like splashing around in it to cool down.
My dogs loved destroying those inexpensive kiddie pools. I finally opened the purse strings and got a rubbermade trough. Worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190529_102159.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	523417  
bnormal likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page