• 1 Post By ausdland
  • 1 Post By middleofnowhere
  • 1 Post By NancyJ
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Grooming tools

Hi,

So for the last couple of months I have been using a soft brush on my puppy who is now 4.5 months old. He seems to have lost his really light puppy coat and is now sporting his big boy coat (see pics).

I've done some research on this forum for grooming tools and will be making purchases in the next couple of days. So far here is what I have:

Undercoat rake: https://www.amazon.co.uk/PAW-Brother...undercoat+rake

Slicker brush: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cleaning-Gr...-2-spons&psc=1

I would love a recommendation for a comb that I can use on the backs of his hind legs. I've also seen something called Zoom Groom (a Kong product), but I'm not sure if it's any good. I'd really prefer not to use a furminator or similar product as I've heard it strips the fur.

Besides the undercoat rake, the slicker brush, and a comb, what else should I have in my grooming toolkit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190508_142655.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	522549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_213207.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	522551  
Brushbunny likes this.

What do I want? I want a GSD! When do I want it? NOW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 AM

This is a brilliant tool.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...grooming-brush

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
RSharpe75 likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Elite Member

A rake like this. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...rake?rrec=true He's still young though and probably good with a soft bristle brush through the Summer. Great looking pup
RSharpe75 likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

With a pup, I'd go with what you have & a standard bristle brush. You likely will not be using the undercoat rake until shedding season. Then you will probably start using it and not quit...

Later, I'd add a furminator. I'd heard those "it strips the fur" stories before I got mine. It pulls out loose under coat which is desirable. I wouldn't use it on a puppy. I'd also add a metal "flea" type comb if you are anywhere with cheat grass or fox tail. I use this on the back of the hocks seasonally.

If you don't have corn starch in your kitchen, I'd get a box. That stuff works to loosen the undercoat so it brushes out pretty easily rather than clinging together.
RSharpe75 likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Do you mean stick with the soft brush and get a standard bristle brush? He's already showing little tufts of his undercoat sticking out and falling all over the place. I figured maybe he needed a rake, but I'm obviously wrong. At approximately what age do most people start using an undercoat rake?

What do I want? I want a GSD! When do I want it? NOW!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdland View Post
A rake like this. https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...rake?rrec=true He's still young though and probably good with a soft bristle brush through the Summer. Great looking pup
I use that rake. It works well. I use it for about a week and then after that just a good pin bristle brush on my long haired boy and a rubber comb on my stock coat girl.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:48 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

A forced air blower like a metro commander and a dremel for the nails
dogfaeries likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJ View Post
A forced air blower like a metro commander and a dremel for the nails

If I could only have 3 items, it would be a forced air dryer, a dremel and a greyhound comb. Itís all I ever use on my dogs.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

i second the single track undercoat rake mentioned above. if he’s already blowing (not extremely usual st this age), then i’d start using it.

i like slicker brushes to smooth the coat and collect the stray hairs after raking. i only use a comb to clean out the slicker brush or work on a mat (on my long coat).

i use the rake seasonally and the slicker routinely.

i love zoom grooms although i only use my during bathing. both to distribute the soap better and also to work out all the excess hair since you can brush with and against grain as well as circular.

forced air dryers are lovely, but not practical for me. i occasionally use them at the self wash dog stations.
RSharpe75 likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page