Female in heat and intact male is going crazy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Female in heat and intact male is going crazy!

Hi! I posted not too long ago wondering if my girl was going into heat. I got some very helpful advice...but now what started as a light, abnormally short first heat has turned into a full blown heat cycle.

I noticed normal drops of blood on the tile on the 7th of this month..and as of the 17th my male has been crying, pacing, and going crazy. This is with my female taking chlorophyll, clbeing cleaned daily, and gaving her crate sheets washed daily. I know the basic cycle layout..and to not leave them alone for a month just to be sure I dont end up with puppies..but how long is my male going to be this intense? For those with experience How long have yours been like this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 PM
LRP

I didn't see your 1st post, how old is your female?
Mine is about to turn 6 month and I am not looking forward to this Ö.

We have an unaltered male and plan to get our female spayed but want to let her grow as much as possible 1st. Considering going through 1 heat cycle if we (and our male) can take it...

Just keeping them separated I know is going to cause major panic, I can only imagine how terrible he will be if he can smell her to. The chlorophyll must not be working if your male can still smell her....
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 PM

Iíve lived this. The short answer is that it all depends on your male.

When I had Russ, I had 2 intact girls. He was a puppy, so it started out pretty good. He was fairly quiet the first few heats he had to deal with. That last heat he dealt with, when he was 3, was over the top. Wailing, barking, refusing to eat. When he got grumpy with me and started growling, that was when he made a trip to the vet to get neutered.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 PM

I had a friend with a male and female dogs when the female went into heat she would board the male just a thought
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:19 PM

I used to send Russ to his breederís house, whenever I could. It certainly made life easier.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

My girl is now 8months..but she started the first abnormal heat a little after 7 months. I expected more time..I was wrong..lol

And ive been told the chlorophyll helps..but wont completely mask the scent. My boy wasn'tbad at all during the mini heat..not even during this one untill now. He was interested, but not crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRP View Post
I didn't see your 1st post, how old is your female?
Mine is about to turn 6 month and I am not looking forward to this …. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

We have an unaltered male and plan to get our female spayed but want to let her grow as much as possible 1st. Considering going through 1 heat cycle if we (and our male) can take it...

Just keeping them separated I know is going to cause major panic, I can only imagine how terrible he will be if he can smell her to. The chlorophyll must not be working if your male can still smell her....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Was he freaking out the whole 3 weeks or just a part of it?

My boy just started going nuts yesterday..and a bit the day before..but for the other partvhe was just interested and needed to be watched. I could tell him to knock it off and he would.

Now he has lost his mind. I had to force him to go on a walk..thats his favorite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I’ve lived this. The short answer is that it all depends on your male.

When I had Russ, I had 2 intact girls. He was a puppy, so it started out pretty good. He was fairly quiet the first few heats he had to deal with. That last heat he dealt with, when he was 3, was over the top. Wailing, barking, refusing to eat. When he got grumpy with me and started growling, that was when he made a trip to the vet to get neutered.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

There is only one dog resort I think i can trust around here..but i have been thinking about it. They are almost booked up at the moment..But I dont know how long I need to book him for. Would a few days do it? A week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandNicholson View Post
I had a friend with a male and female dogs when the female went into heat she would board the male just a thought
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:10 PM

I like the idea of boarding him too. Seems cruel to keep them near each other when nothing is going to happen. I'm assuming someone is going to be getting neutered or spayed eventually? Seems hard to manage otherwise.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes, my girl will be spayed..i was just hoping to wait till closer to 1 year for her growth.

My husband has decided to take him to work with him during the day from now on..but still..
As for boarding..i need to know how long to book his stay. I have no clue how long i really need to book it for. Im fine keeping them apart once hes not being so crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
I like the idea of boarding him too. Seems cruel to keep them near each other when nothing is going to happen. I'm assuming someone is going to be getting neutered or spayed eventually? Seems hard to manage otherwise.
Sheshrew likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page