Female in heat and intact male is going crazy! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM

Seems like Russ started acting like a lunatic at the beginning of the second week. So basically it was about 2 weeks of him being an idiot. He was on the opposite end of the house, behind many walls and doors. He didnít care, he knew she was there. That was the worst time. But it wasnít always that intense.

The whole thing is inconvenient, but really not that terrible. You just need patience. Even if you can get him out of there for a week, the break might make it tolerable. I mean, heís just being a dog. Right now I have a one-eyed girl with stitches and a crazed girl in heat on week 2. Iíve threatened to murder both of them. Itís always something, lol.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Was he a bit less intense the second week? If so, ill definatelt see if tgey can take him for a week at tge resort. We live in a small 2 bedroom house so its hard to keep her smell from him..even with chlorophyll, baths, deoderizing sprays, pet friendly candles, air purifier....lol heck, im outside with him right now and all he wants to do is go in to be with her!

And my husband just threatened to kill my boy too. Idle threats of course, but he is at his wits end as well...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Seems like Russ started acting like a lunatic at the beginning of the second week. So basically it was about 2 weeks of him being an idiot. He was on the opposite end of the house, behind many walls and doors. He didn’t care, he knew she was there. That was the worst time. But it wasn’t always that intense.

The whole thing is inconvenient, but really not that terrible. You just need patience. Even if you can get him out of there for a week, the break might make it tolerable. I mean, he’s just being a dog. Right now I have a one-eyed girl with stitches and a crazed girl in heat on week 2. I’ve threatened to murder both of them. It’s always something, lol.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Elite Member

I warned you, didn't I?

Quote:
On average, heats last about 20 days. The fertile period, when the female will stand for the male and let him mount her is around day 11 to 16, though it can vary a lot from female to female.

A few horror stories I've heard over the years will let you know just how powerful the mating urge is, and how careful you must be during this time.

I've heard of litters conceived through a chain link fence.

One of my dogs is the result of her mother escaping from her kennel and climbing an 8 foot chain link fence to get into the stud's run.

A friend had the male in a wire crate, and separated from the female by 2 closed doors. He managed to get out of the crate, and chew his was through the 2 doors...

Another friend put her female in the garage. The male destroyed the doorknob on the door between the house and the garage. Fortunately, the door held.

Do NOT let your female outside during this time unless you are there to supervise her. It only takes a minute for a male to jump a fence, and mount and tie with her, if both are willing.

It might be a good idea if you drive her to a nearby park for walks, so she doesn't pee close to home, and advertise her condition. I didn't do this the first time I had a female in heat, and a local randy mutt was camped out on my front doorstep for nearly her entire heat. He even tried to get in the house when she was at her peak. I sent him off to the Humane Society twice, but he still managed to escape the owner's backyard and come back again.

Male dogs will often howl when the female is in season, and may refuse to eat. It might be a good idea to board your male somewhere while your female is in her fertile period, to prevent an accidental mating, and to make life easier for you.
Your male will calm down when her fertile/receptive period is over. Generally, that's about 5 days or a week at most. And no, NOTHING really masks the smell! IMO, you are wasting your money on chlorophyll.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 06-19-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:25 PM

My male usually goes nuts for about 4 or 5 days.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

IME, the really crazy stuff lasts about five days.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cerberus- View Post
Hi! I posted not too long ago wondering if my girl was going into heat. I got some very helpful advice...but now what started as a light, abnormally short first heat has turned into a full blown heat cycle.

I noticed normal drops of blood on the tile on the 7th of this month..and as of the 17th my male has been crying, pacing, and going crazy. This is with my female taking chlorophyll, clbeing cleaned daily, and gaving her crate sheets washed daily. I know the basic cycle layout..and to not leave them alone for a month just to be sure I dont end up with puppies..but how long is my male going to be this intense? For those with experience How long have yours been like this?
Bud always chattered his teeth when the girls were in standing heat. Basically if he was chattering his teeth I knew to be extra careful! It really helped when he finally got bored with it at around age 10. Lol.
If you can board him it might save your sanity but we used to live through about 10 days of whining in his crate, whining and pacing in his run and whining and ignoring me while hanging out. I never let obedience or work be impacted. Sometimes he resorted to begging at me and once, and only once, he tried to tough guy me. As far as I'm concerned I expect my dogs to work regardless of distractions so I would take this as a learning experience and carry on with whatever your routine is. Make it very clear that your expectations of both of them have not changed.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Haha, yes you did. I had hoped I lucked out with that abnormal short one..but nooo...she stopped for a few days and went right into a normal one.😣

My boy was eating alright till today. He is picking at his breakfast at the moment..lol. glad to kkow the crazy period is usually 5 days to a week..2 weeks of this would be too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
I warned you, didn't I? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Quote:
On average, heats last about 20 days. The fertile period, when the female will stand for the male and let him mount her is around day 11 to 16, though it can vary a lot from female to female.

A few horror stories I've heard over the years will let you know just how powerful the mating urge is, and how careful you must be during this time.

I've heard of litters conceived through a chain link fence.

One of my dogs is the result of her mother escaping from her kennel and climbing an 8 foot chain link fence to get into the stud's run.

A friend had the male in a wire crate, and separated from the female by 2 closed doors. He managed to get out of the crate, and chew his was through the 2 doors...

Another friend put her female in the garage. The male destroyed the doorknob on the door between the house and the garage. Fortunately, the door held.

Do NOT let your female outside during this time unless you are there to supervise her. It only takes a minute for a male to jump a fence, and mount and tie with her, if both are willing.

It might be a good idea if you drive her to a nearby park for walks, so she doesn't pee close to home, and advertise her condition. I didn't do this the first time I had a female in heat, and a local randy mutt was camped out on my front doorstep for nearly her entire heat. He even tried to get in the house when she was at her peak. I sent him off to the Humane Society twice, but he still managed to escape the owner's backyard and come back again.

Male dogs will often howl when the female is in season, and may refuse to eat. It might be a good idea to board your male somewhere while your female is in her fertile period, to prevent an accidental mating, and to make life easier for you.
Your male will calm down when her fertile/receptive period is over. Generally, that's about 5 days or a week at most. And no, NOTHING really masks the smell! IMO, you are wasting your money on chlorophyll.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far! Looks like the concensus is 5 days to a week for most..with some less and some more. Hopefully he doesn't act crazy longer than a week! The whining and pacing is one thing..he even sleeps most of the night even though he is restless..but when i put him in the bedroom with his crate and take my girl out of hers in my other room..its a nonstop cry,howl, scratch at the door thing.

I might book a short stay at a dog resort for him..its been 2 full days of crazy thus far..today day 3..so hopefully a short stay should do it. I hate leaving him with people other than friends and family..but I have none here..and I do worry about him hurting himself or making himself sick over this..
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Surprisingly..my boy is doing a bit better! He was willing to go for a walk..and only tried to drag me home once he saw our house on the way back. He let me brush his teeth and asked for his greenie. Now hes napping. He is still whiny and paces..but maybe its starting to get better?

Also..my little girl is still bleeding lightly. Color is much lighter though. I thought during her fertile period its supposed to stop? Or is that not always the case?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The blood will usually get lighter as they go through the cycle and doesn't stop until they are done. When I had Donovan still, he would moan and whine for about 3 days when the girls were in their prime breeding time. He was pretty easy for the most part, didn't really pace (I would crate him if he was being too annoying) and never stopped eating or working.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page