Malinois or GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Malinois or GSD?

Okay I am looking for my new companion for fishing along the river up in the woods on hikes and also my wife is battling cancer and heart disease along with diabetes so when he is in the house or with her he needs to dial the drive down I'm not sure if that would be possible with either breed but I don't want a couch patatoe so I would like all the input you guys can give me thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Honestly it doesn’t sound like the best time to add a puppy of either breed to the household. Are you or have you considered an older dog - from either a breeder or rescue... where their temperament and energy levels are already known? If you’re new to the breed(s) and in an area with a breed specific rescue nearby, volunteering or fostering may give you some insight as to what breed is a better fit.
sit,stay, Heidigsd, tc68 and 5 others like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Ya I have considered that as well but she wants a puppy we bred Wolf Hybrids for 17 years untill it was to much to handle with her sicknesses. I have been around large dogs all my life so it won't be a problem for me I will defanantly look into a older trained dog there are two good breeders I have chosen in my area I just want to hear others opinions thanks I am set on either of the two breeds, I guess it comes down to which one of them picks me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Master Member

Yeah, I have to agree with Fodder. I don't think it's the right time for a pup. You've got enough on your plate to deal with....cancer, heart disease, and diabetes...all at the same time. If you're determined to get a dog, an older dog can fit right into your lives right now. A puppy would complicate it and disrupt the calm especially an active one like a GSD or even more active one like a Mal. Btw, if you think wolf hybrids are too much to handle, what makes you think you can handle a GSD or Mal right now? I don't know. I just think the timing's all wrong for a dog, especially one that active.
Benjaminb likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

Tell the breeder about your life, and make sure they understand a good off switch is desired. Then be willing to endure a long stretch of puppyhood before you can enjoy a good off switch.

I've made quite a few new friends with both working line GSDs and Malis. In both breeds there are livable at home specimens and not so livable in the livingroom specimens.

What aspect of the ownership of WDs got too difficult to deal with? Describing what you can't handle would be just as helpful as what you think you can handle, when it comes to asking people for recommendations
sebrench and Katsugsd like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Yes I'm sure you are right I think I was just looking for a 4 lagged best friend don't get me wrong all my thought and concerns are for my wife but all my life my dog is who got me through hard times it's hard to explain I rely on God first but you guys know how it is with your bet animal friend
Benjaminb likes this.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:05 AM

I think a dog is a great idea for someone in your situation! They are amazing at calming and comforting. Puppies are time consuming and naughty . Love them, but my entire day is dedicated to watching my pup. I don't have any extra time. I doubt that would be ideal for your situation. An adult dog would already be trained and ready to jump into the roll of the dog you're looking for. It would take years to train the puppy to act exactly how you want. Look into adopting a young dog, one who has the basic training, but is still moldable for your life.

Edit: Last month you mentioned having no room for an adult dog. Has something major changed in that would allow you to not only house a dog, but a puppy?

Last edited by Erros; 06-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Master Member

What experience do you have with both breeds? What research have you done on both breeds if you have no personal experience? These breeds can be a lot to deal with, especially with health issues. Trust me, I have personal experience with that.

If you really want a dog, I would suggest a calmer breed, honestly. Or, even better, go adopt a dog from a shelter. You can find some great older dogs with temperaments already set. And you would be saving a life! You may not get a purebred dog, but if you just want the companionship, it could be a great compromise. I would really, really urge you to rethink a puppy at this time. They are insanely time-consuming and can be overwhelming for an adult without health issues! Either way, good luck with whatever you decide. Please stick around and ask questions. We love to help.
Benjaminb likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your advise it helps a great deal and as for the no room thing I probably would have been more correct in saying not ready yet I am making my fence and property more secure for a dog that can jump by the end of summer/ fall is my goal. To answer the other Q I am leaning towards a older dog and yes I have trained Austrailian shepherds and my Hybrids so I am comfortable with either breed
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

If your wife wants to get a pup get her a puppy. Get her what she wants any breed make sure it’s the right fit. Gsd pups I think would be a good fit. Dogs are very healing and will do her a world of good. If you are able to do most of the raising of the pup, care for the pup train the pup and put to much work into the pup then why not? I can’t think of one reason makes no sense to ask this question. All of pups of any breed are a lot of work. Make sure you get a balanced pup from a recommended breeder as said before explain your situation to the breeder. I do think you are best with a gsd pup unless you get a older malinois. I would not be concerned about getting a couch potato gsd I believe those to be rare. A dog with a off switch is suppose to lay around the house and be active when it’s time to be active. Go visit the dogs visit the breeders ,visit some shows, training clubs and sport clubs and rescues heck even the beach that’s where many gsds are and talk to the owners! See what fits. Visit the land shark puppy page on this forum. My family were in shock at first when I brought home my Max as a pup he was much different and fully charged in what they were used to and I did all the work. Luna a real easy pup they are all different. Any person who wakes up in the morning does not know how their day will end up when they wake up in the morning and anyone can be incapacitated at any given moment. Do they have to give up their dogs or pups? - I sure hope not. Don’t live your life like that though. For a first time gsd owner I would get a pup who is very bideable. I have just recovered from cancer and cancer free - my dogs and my kids helped me get through this. My male - Max actually alerted to my cancer prior to my biopsy as I already knew the lump was there. I actually wanted to try to train him how to alert to cancer if this comes back. I wish I though of it then.

My brother is going through some kidney problems he is a gym teacher and there is a teacher there who works with a therapy dog. The therapy dog jumped in his lap twice and really watched him like a hawk. The owner of the dog said her dog never does that and the dog was alerting to something on him she advised my brother to go to the doctor to get checked- unknowing to her he is going through some health issues. The owner of the dog was seemingly in shock and kept staring at my brother and telling him to go get checked out over and over again. My brother told me max always smells at his leg through his pants - his swollen legs. Dogs are amazing pups or older dogs one should never be without one. Getting a pup and training a dog to be a medical alert dog in the house with someone with an illness can be worth it.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page