Malinois or GSD? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:19 PM

I've known quite a few GSD that would be a great fit- if you adopt at age 1 or so the dog has a known temperament, so you can chose a good fit. A pup is a lot of work, a lot of fun but perhaps too much at this point.

While I love malinois, you are going to have an easier time finding a GSD that suits your needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

A Malinois is more than a companion; they are too much all about work, at least the ones I have known. If you like big dogs how about a calmer breed like a Bull Mastiff? I know they are quite opposite from the ones you are looking at.
If you are set on either one (GSD/Mali), I would go with an older GSD (5+ years) from a breeder with a known good reputation. In your situation I wouldn't trust a dog from a rescue as many are not knowledgeable (for your situation) or market them by hiding or not identifying bad habits. Where are you located so we can give you tips?
Benjaminb likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 PM

I can understand that a puppy is a joyful thing, but the work involved--and sometimes the frustration--is tremendous. My Jupey is 7.5 months, but he has required so much work, time, energy, training, and control, that it has really taken a toll on us. And me being relatively young and being able to work out of the home. It seems to me that in your situation, there might just not be enough "you" to go around, if you understand.

My parents bought an Australian Silky Terrier for my grandma, but she unfortunately got stomach cancer and they had to take the dog off her hands in short order. The dog ended up living to 18, which was about 17 years after my grandma passed away.

It seems to me by saving a doggie from a shelter, you can get a dog who's calmed down, whose temperament is better known, and perhaps saving that life might give your family an infusion of happiness.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Benjaminb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all your advise and appreciate your concerns I will be looking for a well established GSD or Malinois yes I know a lot of drive but it is going to be more for me as my trail buddy and fishing buddy but when in the house my wife's companion also
Benjaminb and CometDog like this.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:20 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am not going to get into your life situation but a malinois could really ramp it up more than you would ever want and a lot of working line GSDs have a lot of visual prey drive ...... over the top and more than needed for a trail and fishing buddy type dog.

I know plenty of lower drive GSDs who can walk in the woods all day long and be chill in the house. As long as the dog has a sound structure I am not sure why you feel that more drive would be necessary.

I guess if I were wanting what is being described as an active pet/companion I would be looking at some of the old herding / DDR lines.
Benjaminb and CometDog like this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:24 PM

A malinois will probably want to get in on all the action while fishing, and if she gets bored, will go off and make her own mischief. My GSD would be happy just to lie in the sun and observe. Exceptions are out there, but malinois are not by nature dogs who just hang out.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Yes, dogs are great for therapy and cheering people up. But take it from someone that has serious health issues, sometimes having a dog just adds stress. When I'm feeling like crap, I sit there and worry about my dog and how I'm going to exercise her. I feel bad asking my family to help out on the day or two that I can't do it. I love her, and she loves me. She makes me happy when I feel down. But sometimes I feel guilty and sad. Adding more to have to take care of can be a bad thing. An older dog can handle little attention and little exercise for a day or two way better than a puppy can.
This! I had to give up young Griff because of health issues. Just couldn't do it and if I had kept him, he would have been ruined because I was in no shape to further train him. There was nothing wrong with him but giving up a good dog is heart breaking and that feeling lasts! You need a therapy-style dog, not one that still needs to go through the basics. Puppies are cute but NOT comforting.
Sabis mom, Benjaminb and CometDog like this.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know if anyone has mention this to you, but have you thought about reaching out to breeders that you like for a retired breeding dog? Or one that simply didn't make the cut for whatever reason?
Sometimes a breeder will raise a pup to adulthood and then decide that the genetics or personality just don't quite fit. Or a bitch has a couple of litters that aren't quite what the breeder was hoping for. These dogs are already trained and health tested, up to date on all care and are generally spayed and offered at very reasonable prices.
With an adult dog you know exactly what you are getting and you get it right now, not a couple of years down the road. With everything else going on a puppy might be a bit much.
Benjaminb likes this.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I don't know if anyone has mention this to you, but have you thought about reaching out to breeders that you like for a retired breeding dog? Or one that simply didn't make the cut for whatever reason?
Sometimes a breeder will raise a pup to adulthood and then decide that the genetics or personality just don't quite fit. Or a bitch has a couple of litters that aren't quite what the breeder was hoping for. These dogs are already trained and health tested, up to date on all care and are generally spayed and offered at very reasonable prices.
With an adult dog you know exactly what you are getting and you get it right now, not a couple of years down the road. With everything else going on a puppy might be a bit much.
Oh yes, this too! I dont know why I didnt mention it...my BF has a beautiful retired from breeding girl from my dog's kennel. She is a dream. Still is in awesome shape, can hike for hours (she has an SVV1 title). She is so gentle in the home. Unless she is visiting my home and I have pet rats lolol So don't get both :0 But honestly, there could not be an easier., more well balanced, firecracker only when she needs to type dog. She will do bite work like a fiend, hike until you are about to drop, then be happy with curled up on the couch companion role as well. She doesnt "need " activity anymore, but will happily do it on demand. Can chill at home for days.
Sabis mom and Benjaminb like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 11:15 PM
Crowned Member

You may be training for the triathlon for all I know and easily keep a mal tired but either way keep in mind many don’t seem to be a dog to be to flexible with to much down time even in senior years. I like mals to but don’t think I can ever keep them busy enough. A low drive dog can keep up with hikes, jogs and enjoy fishing as already mentioned. Good luck on your search and hope you and your wife find the perfect match. Prayers your wife heals well and kicks cancer’s ass!
Nigel and Benjaminb like this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-20-2019 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page