Should I pay... or fight it? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:46 AM
Crowned Member

The justification I see for filming is documenting. Documenting goes a long way. People will lie in court so having photographs/films will bolster your case. The reason for contesting this is that the OP maintains the charge is unsubstantiated. This neighbor seems to be a bit of a PIA and may continue to bring allegations unless he is shut down. I would not want unwarranted allegations on my record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM

So, what ever happened with this issue? Hope you were able to fight the ticket and get some proof of harassment from that neghbor!
huntergreen likes this.
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Update as of today.

Last week I was jogging down the road with my dogs and the "neighbor" as usual comes flying down the road- which is about 1/4 all downhill - steep with poor sightlines. I panic a bit and run with my dogs off the road and halfway up the embankment. The loose gravel/sand is slippery and steep and I end up falling on the gravel and getting some bad road rash, but at least avoiding the vehicle.

I took photos of the injuries but didn't call the police. I was sore for several days.

It's a lose lose for me no matter what I do- the neighbor has the power. And he's flouting it. Call the police- sure they'll come out and I'll have to spend an hour of my morning talking with them instead of going to work. Then the police will go have a chat with "Bo" and nothing will happen except Bo will feel more empowered next time.

If I don't run off the road I am risking severe injury or death to me and my dogs. And while Bo would hopefully get arrested for this- dogs are "just" property and if he killed a dog, he's probably get off completely. If he injured or killed me, well, I still lose big time! Even if he goes to prison for years. If I'm badly hurt- or killed- that won't help me.

It's a super frustrating situation.

While buying a bodycam seems really extreme, and I don't have a ton of extra cash, it is necessary at this juncture. I am also avoiding the road for now until I can get that bodycam.

This is small town policing at it's worst, unfortunately. Having dogs makes me vulnerable to harassment. And having German shepherds is a big part of it. Bo complained to the police that my dogs were running on his property this winter. I told the police that there was no way the tracks were from my dogs, and they did some "investigation" and discovered it was another neighbor's golden retriever and lab. This happened TWICE until they investigated. No tickets for the other neighbor. Lots of threats from the police about giving me a dog at large ticket. But, you know, golden retrievers. No apologies, either from Bo or police. Of course.

Anyway.

As for the ticket- my choices are go to court and have to deal with time off work and stress. Or pay $50. I talked to my lawyer and if you pay the ticket the language of the statute says payment means you are NOT admitting guilt. It's a "civil forfeiture". My lawyer is going to make some calls and see if he can figure out what this really means.

I'm just so frustrated. Imagine if my dogs had cause the bruising and scrapes I got from scrambling out of his way. You can just imagine he'd have all our heads. Makes me super angry to think about it too much so I try not to dwell there. Dog laws are quite skewed against dog owners if you do some research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in