Should I pay... or fight it? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

Is there any way you can walk your dogs with out passing that house or drive to another area at least until this is settled. If your neighbor is that strange, who knows what he's thinking or what he is triggered by when he sees them.
sebrench and Saco like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Elite Member

I know that if it was me, I'd probably walk them on another road, even if it meant getting in the car and driving. But I also hate confrontations and conflict and have a tenancy to avoid it even when I should assert myself. You have every right to walk the road near your home with your leashed, well-behaved dogs, but if you wanted to avoid potential drama until you've talked to your lawyers and fought the ticket, I certainly wouldn't blame you.
Heartandsoul and Saco like this.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Actually, If you have a town square or park and there are officers doing foot patrol or directing traffic etc, you can start walking your dogs through town at those times so others can see how well they behave. I did this from the get go with mine with that specific intention. It paid off big time 7 yrs later. People do observe and take note even when you don't think that they are. The last sentence is a paraphrase that I had read on here yrs ago and what sparked the intent. It may help you or others also.
Saco likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

OK just from the initial post - where are you located SACO?

How it works in my jurisdiction, is you either pay the citation or show up in court. The complainant may not even appear. If you didn't document the incident elsewhere, use your post here as documentation. It's time consuming but likely worth contesting as the charges are not accurate. I had my neighbor cited repeatedly for his dogs on my property. I took photos. I took down times and dates. It's a PIA but if I hadn't shown up, the case would have been thrown out and the problem would have continued. If you show up and prevail - and it sounds like you would prevail - the neighbor may be less likely to continue filing complaints. If you don't, he will likely continue down his path.

So that's my take of it in a rural central Oregon county.
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I talked to the town clerk and told them I'd be consulting a lawyer. The ticket said I had 4 days to pay but didn't specify weekends or business, so it was strange. I asked him to make sure to take an official note that I called and told him I was going to be talking with a lawyer just in case they try to be sticklers about the timing.

I tried to get a video on my phone today but it was in selfie mode and I couldn't stop it in time- which goes to show why a go pro is a good idea!

If I can calm down enough I will flag down the police next time I see them (tomorrow?) and have a chat.

Unfortunately, I am in US- sue country.

I'll see what the lawyer says- never done this before, but I'm talking with him tomorrow. Consult is free, but I'd bet actually hiring him would be at least $500, which may be worth it.

Will update...
Very much worth 500 bucks. Like Jchrest said, records are forever. Fight it now, or forever hold your peace!

In my opinion, unless the guy is 95, and ready to croak, I would move if possible. Some people are impossible to make happy. He/she/it will find something else to complain about.
Saco likes this.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM
Master Member

I also like the GoPro idea. And if you can, don't place it in an obvious spot. When you use your phone to record, people know right away you're recording. Most people will change their behavior when they know they're being recorded. So if you can, place it in an area on your body or on the dog where it's not so obvious, then the chance of you catching something iincreases. It's sad that we live in a time now where we need dashcams in cars and GoPros on dogs to protect ourselves in case of lawsuits.

I use something called NextDoor ap on my phone that connects people in local neighborhoods. Anyway, there was a posting last week about neighbors complaining about a neighbor's two dogs barking all the time. (A lot of dog related complaints...including people not picking up after their dogs, etc.) They were talking about whether they should file a complaint to the authorities about it. I asked them all if any one of them actually talked to the offender face to face instead of immediately filing a complaint. No one's talked to them in person yet. I told them they should be neighborly and give the person a chance to correct the problem by either sending the dogs to daycare or training or whatever. Anyway I won't bore you with the rest of the story but all these problems are making me contemplate getting a GoPro myself to protect my dog and I in case I encounter some problem neighbor. (I've talked to other dog owners around me over the years and there have been litigious-happy neighbors.) Well, I figure I've got dashcams in my car and cams in my house, why not one for the dog? Meanwhile I can also get some good clips for the dog's IG page.
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

You do not need a lawyer. At least in Oregon, you do not need a lawyer for this. Not yet anyway. How these citations work here (my experience trying to get some control over my neighbor's dogs) - you are given a court date. You show up, the citing officer shows up, the complainant shows up. The judge calls your case, you get sworn in (if you prefer not to "so help me God" you can request an alternative oath). The judge will ask the three of you questions about the event. Chances are the complainant will not show up. That will be easiest most likely. Whomever shows up, the judge will make a ruling, either dismissing the case (and fine) or not. BUT do either pay or show up. Be as respectful as you can (I was reprimanded for saying I didn't know what the boys were smoking in response to their fabricated story). Probably just state "My dogs did not chase Mr. BS's car. My dogs were on leash. I was with them." (It would be tempting to add "We did not run after the car." but probably not advisable...)

I spent way too much time sitting in court with repeated citations against my neighbor letting his dogs run amuck. It came to a head when people were afraid to get out of their cars to open my gate because of the dogs.

I contemplated setting up security cameras on my gate area (it is set back) to record his dogs but settled for still shots from my point and shoot. It was a PIA to remember to take the camera when I walked but it worked.
Custom Billet likes this.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have a cheap chest harness for my go pro and I took off the shoulder straps and just wear it around my waist and it works fine though I run audio through a voice recorder on my phone as the case covers the microphone on the go pro and it mutes some sound [I just ordered a new case that does not do it so I am going to test that part out-but I don't want an external mike as I walk rain or shine]

.......but I seriously would look into one of these unless you want a go pro for other fun things (We use it for kayaking etc.) because I can only get an hour on a battery charge on my go pro so I have to carry spare batteries if I am out for awhile.

https://smile.amazon.com/MIUFLY-Wate...gateway&sr=8-4

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I'd like a go pro anyway for training, so I will look into getting an older model- I don't need the newest and absolute best.

Also, I thought about buying this creepy dog and sitting him at the edge of my property looking toward the road. Honestly, it will be useful as a dog training aid anyway, and it's not super pricey.

Creepy though!

https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-...ustomerReviews
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I'd like a go pro anyway for training, so I will look into getting an older model- I don't need the newest and absolute best.

Also, I thought about buying this creepy dog and sitting him at the edge of my property looking toward the road. Honestly, it will be useful as a dog training aid anyway, and it's not super pricey.

Creepy though!

https://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-...ustomerReviews
LOL! We use to use an inflatable fake owl on the side of the house for deterrent..I dont quite remember for what. But he had a name...Horace..and he was awesome!

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page