Should I pay... or fight it? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
Thanks I agree on the fight it- but I also wonder if I could pay nolo contendre just to avoid the hassle of court time and hiring a lawyer.

This morning, out on the road with the dogs, police SUV cruises by again. I am starting to feel uncomfortable in my own home. Like they are watching or doing surveillance and then driving by when I am out with the dogs which is just not right. At all. I have no record - a couple speeding tickets over the years of driving, but nothing bigger than that. I work full time for a local small business in the community. I don't make trouble.

I don't want to escalate this- if paying it would stop the escalation I would just pay, but it seems like it could do nothing and just be admission of guilt so next time, the guy can do whatever he wants.

This neighbor is certified strange in many ways, but he's also been a townie for 20 years, so he's got that going for him big time.

I've probably been up and down that road 1,500 times since I've lived here- often twice a day... I just don't know what to do now. I hate this situation so much.
You are in Canada are you not? If so then a lot of the suing that goes on in the US is not applicable here. However as I have discovered a ton of smaller places have so truly backward AC laws that may not swing in your favor if you admit guilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Elite Member

I don't have any advice to offer, I can certainly understand conflict over barking or dogs running loose, but can't understand what could possibly be objectionable about walking leashed dogs down the street? Are there other dog owners in the area? Has he harassed them as well? Perhaps they could back you up. If it's financially viable, I might consult a lawyer for advice moving forward, even just meeting for a half hour may be enough? I'm not sure how they could ticket you for something that is just his word against yours. Are there other loose dogs along the road?--could he have mistaken someone else's dogs for yours?
tc68 likes this.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

Have your day in court. It's your constitutional right.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

Saco the police aren't necessarily trying to cause trouble for you or targeting you.They may be a help to you in court since your dog is being perfectly well behaved when the officer is observing.Jot down the car number or plate number for a witness in your defence.Flag him/her down and talk to them if you can do so calmly.Try and get video to show your dog's nonreactive behavior.Wishing for the best outcome for you

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM

I would flag down the cop and ask him/her, How is it going? Strike up a conversation. Once they realize how well behaved your dogs are, and how polite you are, maybe they would back off. All the cops have to go on right now is what the idiot neighbor has said.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:27 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree with suggestions for videos and sound recordings .......... it was advice I was given due to a threatening neighbor. [I was one of several who called animal control after being bitten by her at large dog-ultimately many people and some torn up dogs later, the dog was taken and PTS but they said a body cam or a go pro is really really good to have.
Jax08 likes this.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

Oh. I like the Go Pro idea. There is your proof going forward.
tc68 likes this.

post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

I talked to the town clerk and told them I'd be consulting a lawyer. The ticket said I had 4 days to pay but didn't specify weekends or business, so it was strange. I asked him to make sure to take an official note that I called and told him I was going to be talking with a lawyer just in case they try to be sticklers about the timing.

I tried to get a video on my phone today but it was in selfie mode and I couldn't stop it in time- which goes to show why a go pro is a good idea!

If I can calm down enough I will flag down the police next time I see them (tomorrow?) and have a chat.

Unfortunately, I am in US- sue country.

I'll see what the lawyer says- never done this before, but I'm talking with him tomorrow. Consult is free, but I'd bet actually hiring him would be at least $500, which may be worth it.

Will update...
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saco View Post
I talked to the town clerk and told them I'd be consulting a lawyer. The ticket said I had 4 days to pay but didn't specify weekends or business, so it was strange. I asked him to make sure to take an official note that I called and told him I was going to be talking with a lawyer just in case they try to be sticklers about the timing.

I tried to get a video on my phone today but it was in selfie mode and I couldn't stop it in time- which goes to show why a go pro is a good idea!

If I can calm down enough I will flag down the police next time I see them (tomorrow?) and have a chat.

Unfortunately, I am in US- sue country.

I'll see what the lawyer says- never done this before, but I'm talking with him tomorrow. Consult is free, but I'd bet actually hiring him would be at least $500, which may be worth it.

Will update...
If you do get recordings make sure you can send the video to your animal control board. If it is only on your phone or personal device they won't accept it. I can see how they might send you notice to appear before AC but I don't understand how they can give you a ticket without proof of offense.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:35 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I was able to download audio from my phone. You know the one where my neighbor said "I will kill you" repetadly and then email it to the police officer handling my complaint. Basically what happened that day was she started following me and I turned on my voice recorder on the phone. This and swerving her car at me had become a routine experience; several times I had to jump on the curb to avoid her.

I think seeing me with the go pro at all times (I just wear it around my waist) and the knowledge on her part that I recorded her has changed her behavior just like she quit coming to my house banging on the door after I put up security cameras. She also gives me a wide berth when she is driving. Several officers and one attorney suggested that I use the device; I had considered getting a restraining order but I felt "what if" they did not actually give me or or "what if" it was not strong enough?

Wearing the cam was a real hassle at first but it has become 2nd nature. If I had it to do over I would get a police body cam. Not any more expensive and much longer lasting battery and recording duration.

If you do record I would have a collection of typical walks where cars pass by and your dogs are non reactive and save any where your neighbor's car drives by.
Mudypoz likes this.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 06-19-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in