Should I pay... or fight it? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 60Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:49 PM

Once proven "not guilty" then if he keeps pulling this BS, they will ignore him, knowing that he is just being spiteful.
Mudypoz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:58 PM

fight it. I listen to our county's animal control board podcasts. If your AC is anything like mine, they should be reasonable. Just state your case clearly and with any solid evidence you have (any thing on a phone needs to be printed in hard copy). Without proof the case should be dropped.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:26 PM
Elite Member

Yup I would fight it and it's too bad you didn't fight the first one. I definitely would contest this one. my thoughts, since there isn't proof it probably will be dropped but that's just a guess. And yes it's worth contesting and the hassle. Otherwise that will be two admissions of guilt.
Saco likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 PM

I would go to court. Fight it. Explain that you have a difficult neighbor, with a chip on his shoulder. If he doesn't have video, can't prove it, unless he tries to bring someone with him and say he had a witness. They, you get to dispute the testimony and indicate his witness is lying. In my State, if it's a traffic ticket, and an officer doesn't appear in court with you, the ticket is dropped. So, perhaps your neighbor might not even appear in court to lie.

Getting a lawyer for this would be like getting a lawyer for a traffic ticket.
Mudypoz, Custom Billet and Saco like this.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:49 PM

This is also why I pay for dog tags. When these issues come before the board, before they even start looking at the case, they find out if rabies vaccination is up to date ($25 if not) and the dog has its county tags (another $25 if not) and if the dog can be proven At Large. ($50 if so, I think) After all of this is established then they start getting information about what happened.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

You've had one warning, now a ticket. If you pay it and plead guilty and the guy does this to you again, what is the next step?

personally, if I can prove my innocence, I would fight it. I'm just not sure how they can cite you without proof that it happened. So weird.
tc68, Custom Billet and Saco like this.

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:28 PM
Elite Member

Maybe since there isn't an ac and the ticket allows to contest it, it is a quick way to shift responsability to investigate from the PD to the courts. Also probably as Car2ner described.

I think in some cases maybe a lot of cases you go before a magistrate who determines whether or not there is grounds for a case to be heard or if it should be tossed out.
Jax08 likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Elite Member

We had a guy who would accuse our dogs of barking and waking him up at 6am. He would wake my house and my sleeping dogs to say we were waking him. Obviously it wasn't our dogs. After the 3rd warrantless call to the PD, the PD asked if we wanted to press harassment charges. We didn't because I think the elderly man had the beginnings of dementia. But, just illustrating that a string of unfounded complaints can put the ball in your court, if you fight it.
tc68 likes this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I agree on the fight it- but I also wonder if I could pay nolo contendre just to avoid the hassle of court time and hiring a lawyer.

This morning, out on the road with the dogs, police SUV cruises by again. I am starting to feel uncomfortable in my own home. Like they are watching or doing surveillance and then driving by when I am out with the dogs which is just not right. At all. I have no record - a couple speeding tickets over the years of driving, but nothing bigger than that. I work full time for a local small business in the community. I don't make trouble.

I don't want to escalate this- if paying it would stop the escalation I would just pay, but it seems like it could do nothing and just be admission of guilt so next time, the guy can do whatever he wants.

This neighbor is certified strange in many ways, but he's also been a townie for 20 years, so he's got that going for him big time.

I've probably been up and down that road 1,500 times since I've lived here- often twice a day... I just don't know what to do now. I hate this situation so much.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 AM
Master Member

I'd fight it and go to court OR where ever it ended up going....I'd want my side of the "story" on record....JMO but since this is the second event-so to speak I'd be afraid this bozo may claim the third time your dog(s) had attacked and/or bitten him...all it would take would be for him to have an injury from what ever or how ever...he calls the cops--cop comes and believe HIS story and not yours..it very well may hot end well for you or your dogs....

Many times people like him have a history of pulling crap like this before-if not about dogs something else.......I'd talk to any of my friends and/or neighbors who know me and my dogs if they'd be willing to speak in court....again there have been too many threads right here that sometimes don't end well it's not worth the risk in my opinion to hope this jerk is all at once going to become a nice guy over night...just not worth the risk to your dogs in the long run...get something on record in a court...doing any thing else very well may make you and the dogs appear guilty later down the road...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page