Malinois Walks Tightrope Blindfolded! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

I watched the video again the dogs eyes are covered it’s hard to see if he is happy or not Tail is not between his legs and looks like nor does he look timid. He does look focused though that is for sure no doubt and hel bent in completing the task. I would imagine that’s the only thing you can feel doing something like that though at the moment- focused.
Also it was an officer posting it so I assume for police,or sar work. I did not see it was from a circus or entertainment outfit at all. I have seen videos of a malinois scale houses from the ground to the roof top doing police work. Not sure how they do it but impressive. Watch peta get a hold of it and go ape %^!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-19-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Elite Member

Would need more context. Goal of this? Previous experience of the dog? What tasks is he expected to do in life? Maybe he does have to search crumbled building in the dark. I don't know. What I do know is going viral wasn't the best thing for this video or for regular people who may buy them based on expectations.

Some military dogs have to jump out of planes. Some people take a little pet dog skydiving for a lark (don't even ask). Same, but VERY different.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

Cool dog! My girl Tuke figured out how to climb a ladder on her own. She wanted up in the kids tree house for some reason. She has never been an agile dog, very determined though and it wasn’t always pretty either. I finally had to put a stop to it as her descents we’re getting a bit dangerous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

This is the video of these dogs scaling a house. Some pretty awesome and intense dogs. Crazy fast to.
https://youtu.be/orAGU04T0rc

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I believe this dog is a canine officer. I have to admit that when I first saw it, it bothered me a little bit, and maybe on some level it still does, but then again, I am a softie. I have never owned a malinois, but I have always heard about their tremendous need for both physical and mental stimulation. I don't think this was just a facebook trick, I think it was a challenge for the dog or maybe even something that might be useful in his job and I think the dog was more focused than unhappy. Now, I have tremendous respect for some of the people who didn't like the video and it may be that I am wrong, but that is how I see it and why I posted it. Also, there was a comment made by someone about a hard fall, but if you look the line doesn't look like it's more than a couple of feet off the ground.

Last edited by newlie; 06-19-2019 at 07:25 PM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I believe this dog is a canine officer. I have to admit that when I first saw it, it bothered me a little bit, and maybe on some level it still does, but then again, I am a softie. I have never owned a malinois, but I have always heard about their tremendous need for both physical and mental stimulation. I don't think this was just a facebook trick, I think it was a challenge for the dog and I think the dog was more focused than unhappy. Now, I have tremendous respect for some of the people who didn't like the video and it may be that I am wrong, but that is how I see it and why I posted it. Also, there was a comment made by someone about a hard fall, but if you look the line doesn't look like it's more than a couple of feet off the ground.
Height wise it looks pretty low risk. There is older video with a mal a good 10-12’ above the ground. Not the same dog and out of China if I remember correctly.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
The dog wasn't wearing a harness clipped to a rope on a pulley to catch him in case of a fall, either -- he's probably had some hard falls learning to do that. I'm also not a fan of teaching a dog to walk up stairs on its hind legs just for lols --their bodies aren't made for that.
Excellent point. Imagine falling blind as you're desperately flailing around trying not to fall and being unable to see so you can try to adjust your landing to minimize the damage. A fall like this from even a few feet could result in broken bones or a broken neck if you land at a bad angle. Anyone here want to try it for themselves?

I have trained dogs to do real-world tracking and I have never done anything like this to a dog. And I don't know any SAR folks who would do this to a dog.

It looks like showing off to me, at the dog's expense.

If you want to show off your dog there's lots of ways to do it so the dog has fun.

Here's a Mali that is having fun showing why you don't see many Malis as service dogs:

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

Well! I would like to say impressive training. And amazing dog.
But you can clearly see the dog shaking. It's tail isn't tucked only because it is using it to help balance and just to top it off I can't imagine that being good for joints or feet.
I asked Sabs to do some pretty out there things, because I needed her to and MWD are asked for things no pet dog would or should do. But I can see no practical or needed purpose to that.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 AM
Crowned Member

Slack lines are a big thing it builds strengths and confidence it kids and adults. I was never a gifted slack liner or kept up with it still have the kit somewhere. My intentions were good and it was fun. It is pretty cool to see what people can do with those slack lines.

This dog is named Lachi and a police dog doing some serious border patrol. I can see why balance is important in some of the things he has to scale at work on his Facebook page. The dog looks like he is prepared for anything it takes lots of balance and strength and patience to do this. I can only see that be benefiting to his work and the only reason why I can see anyone doing this. Definitely not your average dog type of thing. On his Facebook page he looks like a happy dog.
Nigel and sebrench like this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-20-2019 at 12:40 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
This is the video of these dogs scaling a house. Some pretty awesome and intense dogs. Crazy fast to.
https://youtu.be/orAGU04T0rc

This would be useful for when my dog's frisbee ends up on the roof of my house
sebrench likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page