Fleas! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you had a fairly good night. It's always nice to have a good plan laid out. Best wishes to you all, and let us know what your vet says!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:13 PM
Master Member

yes, yes to the safe* heartworm preventative for Wookie! :-)

IF your dog gets infected (which they can easily, via a mosquito bite...and here in the southeast, mosquitoes thrive in the warmth and humidity) the treatment can be long, and expensive.
i.e. being confined a lot in a crate for weeks (excessive exercise can damage the infected heart more) and various drug treatments, and it can get expensive...prevention is the way to go!

( My dog's foster mom got him through it, and it did involve the crating and the drugs. I always wondered if he has any permanent damage to his heart...but apparently it depends on how bad the infestation was.)

*whatever his vet thinks he can tolerate well

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Well, I got home about an hour ago. We have a long way to go but I'm starting to think it really might get better. I don't know what's happened and I don't care. I'm just reeling. The last two days have done more good for her and us then anything has in the last 6 months. My wife's been on the computer, on the phone and crying all day. It's about time. I'm sitting here laughing and crying trying to type and it's not working too well. sorry for any typos.

I've been been hinting at stuff and shouldnt have been especially not on a dog board. I'm sorry. You see we had our 3rd miscarriage right after Christmas. We'd decided that if it didn't work out that time we were done trying. We thought we were safe cause she made it to the 2nd trimester and we were wrong. She's been either completely tuned out or a hysterical paranoid wreck ever since. I know I can't fix it but I've been sucking it up and doing everything I can to try and make it better for her. She wanted all the baby stuff gone. I gave it away. nearly killed me doing it but I did it. Didn't help. I got her in a support group and therapy back home. Didn't help. I quit a really good job and moved us down here because that's what she's always wanted. Didn't help. Fleas. She finally got mad enough or scared enough or something enough to snap to her senses and all it took was a month of dealing with fleas. Fleas and a dog board. That's what's helped.

She reread everything I printed out and gave her last night. There's a pile of papers on all kinds of research studies, articles and other stuff I'm not even sure what yet. She's talked to our old vet, the new vet's office and I don't even know who all else. I wouldn't be surprised if she forced the vets into a conference call. Wook has a vet appointment on Wednesday for another full checkup and a heartworm test. HER doing. Everyone concurs that a combo product is a very bad idea. Topical flea/tick and a trusted oral heartworm only preventative administered with a 2 week interval between them is probably our best safe bet. Done deal given product approval by our old vet. HER decision. Dax is going too for a once over in case it's not just fleas. She wants to talk about that Vectra in case we have some kind of mites from the beach.

She's taken Wookie to nails clipped. Wook really hates getting nails done. Before she left, she HANDED me the Advantix and FLAT OUT TOLD ME that when she gets back, she want BOTH dogs dosed up. Its been almost 3 weeks and it's SAFE to do it again now. I almost fell over.

The best part. Really, the best part. I got an apology. For everything. A sincere, heartfelt apology and she wants to sit down to talk this weekend. Not once. Not. one. single. time. has she ever said anything about how much all this has hurt me too. Until today.

I don't want to get caught so I'm going to go hug on my dog before she gets back.
sebrench and GSDchoice like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Master Member

I am SO sorry to hear about the miscarriages. :-(((
That is heartbreaking, to actually be in the second trimester and have bought the baby stuff. :-(

Anyway...
so glad to hear that your dogs will be safe from the ticks, fleas and mosquitos!
I am sure your vet strongly agreed.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:43 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
Well, I got home about an hour ago. We have a long way to go but I'm starting to think it really might get better. I don't know what's happened and I don't care. I'm just reeling. The last two days have done more good for her and us then anything has in the last 6 months. My wife's been on the computer, on the phone and crying all day. It's about time. I'm sitting here laughing and crying trying to type and it's not working too well. sorry for any typos.

I've been been hinting at stuff and shouldnt have been especially not on a dog board. I'm sorry. You see we had our 3rd miscarriage right after Christmas. We'd decided that if it didn't work out that time we were done trying. We thought we were safe cause she made it to the 2nd trimester and we were wrong. She's been either completely tuned out or a hysterical paranoid wreck ever since. I know I can't fix it but I've been sucking it up and doing everything I can to try and make it better for her. She wanted all the baby stuff gone. I gave it away. nearly killed me doing it but I did it. Didn't help. I got her in a support group and therapy back home. Didn't help. I quit a really good job and moved us down here because that's what she's always wanted. Didn't help. Fleas. She finally got mad enough or scared enough or something enough to snap to her senses and all it took was a month of dealing with fleas. Fleas and a dog board. That's what's helped.

She reread everything I printed out and gave her last night. There's a pile of papers on all kinds of research studies, articles and other stuff I'm not even sure what yet. She's talked to our old vet, the new vet's office and I don't even know who all else. I wouldn't be surprised if she forced the vets into a conference call. Wook has a vet appointment on Wednesday for another full checkup and a heartworm test. HER doing. Everyone concurs that a combo product is a very bad idea. Topical flea/tick and a trusted oral heartworm only preventative administered with a 2 week interval between them is probably our best safe bet. Done deal given product approval by our old vet. HER decision. Dax is going too for a once over in case it's not just fleas. She wants to talk about that Vectra in case we have some kind of mites from the beach.

She's taken Wookie to nails clipped. Wook really hates getting nails done. Before she left, she HANDED me the Advantix and FLAT OUT TOLD ME that when she gets back, she want BOTH dogs dosed up. Its been almost 3 weeks and it's SAFE to do it again now. I almost fell over.

The best part. Really, the best part. I got an apology. For everything. A sincere, heartfelt apology and she wants to sit down to talk this weekend. Not once. Not. one. single. time. has she ever said anything about how much all this has hurt me too. Until today.

I don't want to get caught so I'm going to go hug on my dog before she gets back.
That must be so unimaginably hard. I am so sorry to hear about your losses. But it sounds like you and your wife are on a positive path. I'm glad you're making progress on the flea and heartworm situation. Thinking of you and wishing the best, keep us updated!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Update:
Wookie has a clean bill of health so far. Heartworm test was negative, they want to recheck in 6 months, wife insisted on every 4 months for the next year. I'm not arguing
Wook spent the day Wednesday at the vet's office being "monitored" just in case after getting a dose of heartworm preventative. I say "monitored" because spoiled rotten and loved on to death is more like what really happened. Vet does recommend we see a cardiologist for more extensive tests mainly so there's a baseline since she is getting old. I'm all for that too.

Dax was a champ and behaved nicely. Both dogs have no skin infections, ears are great, teeth look good and fecal tests negative.

Vet doesn't think we're dealing with allergies. Just fleas. The wife and I have been using a flea comb on both dogs every day and we're still getting a few or more off both dogs. We're heading back home for a few days for the holiday. I'm going to have an exterminator come in and do the house and yard while we're away. Hopefully that will take care of any eggs and larvae so we don't keep getting reinfested.

I can't express my gratitude to all of you. My wife asked to up her therapy sessions to 3x a week and the doctor is reviewing her depression & anxiety prescriptions for a possible change. I'm not holding out hope here, but I am hopeful. I've got an appointment in mid July to see a counselor of my own. There's a lot I need to work on for myself too.
Jax08 and sebrench like this.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Elite Member

Yay, thanks for the update! I'm so glad the heartworm test was negative and that Wookie had his first dose of preventative. Sounds like the fleas will be under control soon. I'm also hopeful that a medication adjustment will help with your wife's depression. Good on you both for seeking help. I think we can all use a little help during times of grief and stress, and you and your wife sound like you've had more than your share lately. Enjoy your trip back home. Being near family and a change of scenery may be a good stress reliever, and it's a great time to have the exterminators come. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page