Is this too hot ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Is this too hot ?

Hello All,

I usually keep Bruno(15 month old male GSD) outside when I am out for work from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. He has access to backyard (some shade) and garage with plenty of water. And stays with me inside if I am in home.

But today temperature will go to 100 degree so kept him inside home.

Do you think GSD can tolerate temperature upto 100 degree ? Is this safe for them ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Master Member

If there is some shade, he will probably be miserable but safe. There is more of a risk of heat stroke when a dog is being active in high temps. My dog lives in our attached garage with a doggie door and I put a portable air conditioner in that is on the floor with wheels and vents out the window with a flexible plastic pipe. A portable AC that cools about 160 square feet will cost about $250

Last edited by Chip Blasiole; 06-10-2019 at 01:51 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM
LRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1cs View Post
Hello All,

I usually keep Bruno(15 month old male GSD) outside when I am out for work from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. He has access to backyard (some shade) and garage with plenty of water. And stays with me inside if I am in home.

But today temperature will go to 100 degree so kept him inside home.

Do you think GSD can tolerate temperature upto 100 degree ? Is this safe for them ?

Thanks.
Of course the dogs would prefer to be inside in the AC but as long as they have shade and lots of water they will be ok outside. Ours will dig holes in the shade and let the ground keep them cool. Invest in a kiddie pool, 1 of those hard bottomed ones. Our male will just stand in it and splash around but our female will fully immerse herself. Also if you have them, you can run your sprinklers for a few mins during the day. We have the sprinklers come on around noon for about 5 mins. Just enough for the dogs to get wet to cool off. I also make large ice cubes, 1/2 unsalted chicken broth and 1/2 water, and give them to them as treats on hot days. I use the silicone molds you would buy for those large cocktail ice cubes. They love them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

It doesn't get over 90+ here but close to 100. Regardless, we have very high humidity here. It can get bad and stay like that for days without a break, no clouds and no breeze. I do not have air conditioning in my house. My dogs are indoor / outdoor. Dogs will loose their ability to cool themselves properly if kept too long in too cool of temps, the same goes for people. It might be better for him to just leave him outside if you keep your house cool and he is in for longer periods of time. With that said, my dogs do fine in the heat and humidity, inside or out, tolerating temps into the 90's without even panting as long as they are calm and relaxing.
LuvShepherds and LRP like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

AC is good idea. Let me check. Thanks.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
It doesn't get over 90+ here but close to 100. Regardless, we have very high humidity here. It can get bad and stay like that for days without a break, no clouds and no breeze. I do not have air conditioning in my house. My dogs are indoor / outdoor. Dogs will loose their ability to cool themselves properly if kept too long in too cool of temps, the same goes for people. It might be better for him to just leave him outside if you keep your house cool and he is in for longer periods of time. With that said, my dogs do fine in the heat and humidity, inside or out, tolerating temps into the 90's without even panting as long as they are calm and relaxing.
Thanks. Let me buy pool today . Thanks a lot.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:20 PM

We are down in Florida where it can get very hot and humid. Our dogs are both indoor and out door - mostly indoor. I have to careful how much I exercise our shepherd - he is 3 years old so that he does not get over heated. This is him yesterday @ 7:30 am in the morning after about 20 min session of playing fetch after we did some obedience work. He was ready to go again but I stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	522045  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:54 PM
Crowned Member

i lived in southern california for a decade with 2 of my shepherds - both acclimated to the heat well and would have done fine with your set up. i also left a baby pool with a bit of water for them.

if you’re in northern california, where the temps are typically much milder and dealing with this sudden heat wave that just sprung up - i’d say you did what was best by having your pup inside since they wouldnt have had the time to gradually acclimate.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
i lived in southern california for a decade with 2 of my shepherds - both acclimated to the heat well and would have done fine with your set up. i also left a baby pool with a bit of water for them.

if you’re in northern california, where the temps are typically much milder and dealing with this sudden heat wave that just sprung up - i’d say you did what was best by having your pup inside since they wouldnt have had the time to gradually acclimate.
Yes I am in bay area that why I am concerned. I like the idea of pool may be he can soak in water if it is too hot for him.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:36 PM

My senior GSD goes outside to lie in the sun when it’s well over 100. But she was born and raised in this climate. My Husky was born and raised in northern CA, where A/C didn’t exist in homes because there was no need for them. So when I moved back to the desert, I was worried he would have major issues acclimating, but he goes outside and play fights with another puppy (not mine, a friends that is staying with us), and he just jumps in our pool to cool down. They have an air conditioned dog house as well, and half the time they prefer that over being inside. The pup I recently purchased came from Washington, and she has issues in the afternoon. After a pee and poo break, she is super hot, and can’t pant, so I have to watch her like a hawk. Her brother (the friends pup) doesn’t seem to be as affected as her, likely because he can pant when he gets hot.

A doggie pool is a must if you keep him outside, it’s the quickest way for them to cool themselves down, and make sure to put it in a spot the is shaded so it doesn’t get too hot to use.

We use one of those big rubber 5 gallon tubs for water, and halfway through the day I flush it with cool water because that gets hot as well. If you can’t flush the hot water out, leaving it under a water valve turned on to a steady small flow will do the same thing.

Don’t use anything black, or metal for food or water, they can burn themselves on it in the summer months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page