Suggest A Genuine Solution To Deal With A Hectic Problem During Shedding Season - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

Suggest A Genuine Solution To Deal With A Hectic Problem During Shedding Season

Hello dog parents!
Greetings of the day!
Since last few days my dizzy had started shedding excessively. She is currently going under medication as vet has suggested two reasons for her excessive sheddding. Our vet said that it could be due to two reasons either due to some allergies or due to her diet.
Now, as a responsible dog owner, I'm supposed to take care of three things according to him.
1. Change and Test her diet.
2. Give her timely medication he prescribed. for allergies.
3. To keep atmosphere and in-house environment clean and hygienic.

I'm doing all. I'm trying as much as possible to keep my home clean from her fallen hair and cleaning it twice a day. Also, we've Winix WAC9500 as air purifier. However, it seems like my routine vacuum is failing again and again from picking those hairs properly and I'm experiencing some hairs again and again.
So, I'm thinking to replace my vacuum cleaner. Based on what you use and your past experience what would you suggest to bring home as a replacement?

Currently Looking at pet hair vacuum cleaners it seems like Dyson Animal V10 is perfect. but, still your opinion would be highly appreciated.

Also, please help me understand whether this companies labeling vacuums as pet hair vacuum are real or that's routine vacuum cleaners with just a tag of "pet"? It would be great if someone help me in understanding what stuff, I should look for in a vacuum when it comes to cleaning dizzy's hair.

Thank you.
Marcus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Welcome! Sounds like you have a pretty hairy situation on your hands. (Sorry, the nerd in me couldn’t pass up on the pun). In my experience (GSD and Husky in the home), the pet part of the vacuum was an up sell of the same exact product, with a higher price tag. It did nothing fancy or extra, and I still burned through the pet vacuums as fast as I did regular ones. At one point, I was in the process of a move, and had all my money tied up in the new house, and my expensive Dyson took a dump. I couldn’t afford another at the time, so I got the cheap bissel at Walmart (it was 30 bucks, and you had to replace bags, it didn’t have the dump option that most have). I was expecting it to just surface clean the hair. I was SHOCKED when the bag filled up with literally 3 swipes of the vacuum. I had been vacuuming daily with the Dyson, and this cheap little vacuum cleaned up all the hair the Dyson was leaving behind. I still have that same vacuum, and it still works as well now as it did the first time.

I would recommend twice daily grooming as well. When mine blow their coats, I could make 20 pillows a day on what I brush off them. I found the grooming helps a ton, and I’ve stopped spending money on expensive vacuums. For the couches, I use a squeegee. Basically rake it all down to one area, and pull it off in a big fluff ball. I haven’t found a vacuum that does anything for furniture, so hopefully you get more replies soon!
Sabis mom and marcusperony like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 01:31 PM

I agree with Jchrest that the 'pet vacuums ' are just a marketing ploy.I use a Shark just because it's light weight and the filters and tank are washable.I keep sheets draped on the furniture unless guests are visiting.Duct tape,cheap plastic combs and hairbrushes help to get hair off also.
marcusperony likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. It seems like I've been saved bare handed. I was thinking that there will be something extra when it comes to pet specific vacuums. As majority of people around me explained, such vacuums have special sort of brushes, better suction and all. but now, it seems like all has been just a marketing ploy as you guys said.

Better I buy an inexpensive bissell then.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
I keep sheets draped on the furniture unless guests are visiting.Duct tape,cheap plastic combs and hairbrushes help to get hair off also.
Hehe, seems like handy homemade remedy. Though I watched a similar video on my facebook feed today titled something like "How to be smart, instead of being tech-savvy!"

Good Idea. Thanks mate!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah... the Dyson ain't all that. It definitely pulls dirt and hair out but I have the canister and it doesn't have a power head. If I had to do over, I would get a Shark. but I still miss my cheap little Dirt Devil.

I do have an air force blower and it will get the lose hair out of a coat. You will be covered in hair but a good deshedder, a comb and the blower will leave a lot of it outside.
Nigel and marcusperony like this.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

This. I have an older version I got used from a friend who bought it when she was breeding small hairy dogs. It has a huge bag and it pulls up dog hair even if it’s embedded into the carpet.

https://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-comme...XL2100RHS.html
marcusperony likes this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

I use a Bissell upright, bagless so I can keep it washed out as I am allergic to dogs. Walmart routinely puts them on sale for 40 or 50 bucks, and they are awesome. Lightweight, easy and all filters are removeable, washable and replaceable really cheap. They blow belts a bit but those are cheap to and dead easy to change if you can master a screwdriver.
I usually buy when they are on sale whether I need one or not, so I have one on standby. On average they are lasting about 3 years or so.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusperony View Post
Hello dog parents!
Greetings of the day!
Since last few days my dizzy had started shedding excessively. She is currently going under medication as vet has suggested two reasons for her excessive sheddding. Our vet said that it could be due to two reasons either due to some allergies or due to her diet.
Now, as a responsible dog owner, I'm supposed to take care of three things according to him.
1. Change and Test her diet.
2. Give her timely medication he prescribed. for allergies.
3. To keep atmosphere and in-house environment clean and hygienic.

I'm doing all. I'm trying as much as possible to keep my home clean from her fallen hair and cleaning it twice a day. Also, we've Winix WAC9500 as air purifier. However, it seems like my routine vacuum is failing again and again from picking those hairs properly and I'm experiencing some hairs again and again.
So, I'm thinking to replace my vacuum cleaner. Based on what you use and your past experience what would you suggest to bring home as a replacement?

Currently Looking at pet hair vacuum cleaners it seems like Dyson Animal V10 is perfect. but, still your opinion would be highly appreciated.

Also, please help me understand whether this companies labeling vacuums as pet hair vacuum are real or that's routine vacuum cleaners with just a tag of "pet"? It would be great if someone help me in understanding what stuff, I should look for in a vacuum when it comes to cleaning dizzy's hair.

Thank you.
Marcus.
For the vacuum, Dyson Animal II is your friend. It's held up against our dog and doesn't show any signs of giving in--we also don't have any problem with dog fur getting stuck in the rollers or canister. It's also a good vacuum in and of itself.

For the dog, get a Furminator and brush her for a couple of minutes daily. Do one big brushing at first (5-10 minutes), then do shorter sessions (2-3 minutes) so you don't end up cutting her fur too much.
marcusperony likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM
Crowned Member

Use a Furminator rake, not the one with razor blades. Those cut the top coat and can damage it. They are designed for a different type of coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page