Suggest A Genuine Solution To Deal With A Hectic Problem During Shedding Season - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Elite Member

When our old girl was with us she had the worst spay-unending-through out the year-bitch shedding I have ever seen. Nothing wrong with her and she had the blackest silky soft sheen. I sometimes vacuumed her as well as the house with my old Electrolux. It has serious suction. It still couldn't get it all. But She loved being vacuumed.

My guy is blowing his coat now also. I would think abnormal shedding due to a health issue would be accompanied by other symptoms as well.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
So for me, this works. The only other machine I like equally as well is a 30+ year old tank of a Kirby, but my mother is unwilling to part with it, alas.
If you ever get to PA, you can have the one in my closet. It almost caused a divorce when he bought it.

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Electrolux! Kirby! OMG....When I was 17 I ended up meeting a guy I started dating and his team. They were all part of a van crew that sold Kirby's door to door. Their paychecks sucked more then a Kirby did..lol

Some 20 yrs later I date yet another Kirby person, but he owned a franchise and believed in the product. He sucked...lol
Electrolux and "Filter Queen" were 4 letter words

Now IMHO...if your going to buy a vacuum like the others noted above....Filter queen is the utmost best vacuum I have ever used. I used to do side work cleaning a friends house that had long coated and dog sat and took another GSD home. His place during summer looked like a cotton field. Until I cleaned it up.
Carpet, hardwood using edger, power beater bar, floor attachment...sucked fur in from a foot away, It would fill the tank and keep on going til fur was so compressed in the tank you would think it was insulation..
It is cumbersome (shaped like drum, like shop vac)...but no tiny vessels you have to empty every five mins, there is cone shaped filter you have to change, but no taking apart pieces to wash hepa filters and unclog this or that.
May have to cut hair out of beater bar

That aside. Loved my Bissel til it died, had a eureka, didn't like. Have a Hoover canister - heap this or that now. Terrible ($300). Won't pick up a fluff of hair until practically touching it on floors. Works below fair on carpet.

If I ever come across a used filter queen, I'm grabbing it!
Stay away from Kirby salesmen
Heartandsoul likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
If you ever get to PA, you can have the one in my closet. It almost caused a divorce when he bought it.
I would happily take it off your hands and give it a fresh new life of drudgery lol.

The one that I remain in awe of went through a flood - literally, underwater - and after drying and being cleaned in the sink, it kept right on working.
Jax08 likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Electrolux! Kirby! OMG....When I was 17 I ended up meeting a guy I started dating and his team. They were all part of a van crew that sold Kirby's door to door. Their paychecks sucked more then a Kirby did..lol

Some 20 yrs later I date yet another Kirby person, but he owned a franchise and believed in the product. He sucked...lol
Electrolux and "Filter Queen" were 4 letter words

Now IMHO...if your going to buy a vacuum like the others noted above....Filter queen is the utmost best vacuum I have ever used. I used to do side work cleaning a friends house that had long coated and dog sat and took another GSD home. His place during summer looked like a cotton field. Until I cleaned it up.
Carpet, hardwood using edger, power beater bar, floor attachment...sucked fur in from a foot away, It would fill the tank and keep on going til fur was so compressed in the tank you would think it was insulation..
It is cumbersome (shaped like drum, like shop vac)...but no tiny vessels you have to empty every five mins, there is cone shaped filter you have to change, but no taking apart pieces to wash hepa filters and unclog this or that.
May have to cut hair out of beater bar

That aside. Loved my Bissel til it died, had a eureka, didn't like. Have a Hoover canister - heap this or that now. Terrible ($300). Won't pick up a fluff of hair until practically touching it on floors. Works below fair on carpet.

If I ever come across a used filter queen, I'm grabbing it!
Stay away from Kirby salesmen
That was funny, years ago when first married, Dh & I allowed a vacuum rep in to demo. He was so proud and had three metal ball bearings to prove the suction power. The vacuum picked up the first two but three was a struggle so I took out my very old Electrolux and did my own demo with the three balls. His horse didn't belong in the race. He left with his Kirby. Not kidding.
Sabis mom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

I had to laugh at my take on this ---- "hectic problem" had me thinking dog behavior not dog hair.....

I find that intact bitches shed differently than spayed ones. Intacts seem to dump all at once, spayed more continuously but far less dramatically. For pulling dog hair off carpeting or dog beds before they get washed, I use a short bristled scrub brush with a long handle (Fuller brush made the one I have). It works better than any vacuum I've owned. For keeping hair closer to the dog something like K9 Top Coat would work but I'm not sure that would help if the dog is allergic to it's own hair... I would think that "dog hair" would not be what the vet would be concerned about and that you are somewhat misinterpreting "clean and hygienic" . On top of that, if it is allergies, there is a shot that can be given that is very effective. It's relatively new and doesn't seem to interfere with the immune system.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Omg this happened to my GSD a number of years ago when she was 4 right after my husband treated her for ticks...it was the first time she had had a treatment. She had never really shed that much until then and even after stopping the medicine she remained the worst German Shedder. Had been using an older Electrolux and I finally bought a Shark Rocket and it was amazing at removing hair. Yes had to vacuum 3 or 4 times/week but the Shark was great on both hardwood as well as carpet. Brushing with a furminator at least weekly was also very helpful.
JC
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

I just tore my Dyson apart that I've had for 7 years. The cyclone assembly has to be replaced. The gasket inside is toast and it sandblasted holes in the cyclones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page