Suggest A Genuine Solution To Deal With A Hectic Problem During Shedding Season - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 PM

My dog started shedding a lot too bc of the warm weather. Not much you can do other than get a good vacuum. Luckily most of his hair accumulation is all along the outside of his crate which is easily cleanable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Just buy the cheapest Bissell or Eureka upright that you can find, as they will last every bit as long as the overpriced Dysons/Sharks, and have just as much suction. My $58 Eureka from Walmart just crapped out recently, after 11+ years of heavy daily use! (yup, it only cost us five bucks a year!) We just bought a new $99 Bissell this time, and it too will likely last at least a decade of heavy daily use. So... why would anyone want to pay more?

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com
Sabis mom likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Crowned Member

If she is spayed, she might be shedding more compared to intact dogs. I don't understand the hygienic part. Dogs can handle a lot of filth and bacteria. Is she allergic to house mites maybe?
What helps me when Deja is shedding (aka dropping her coat) is to brush her twice a day and vacuum every day (hubby's chore). She also gets coconut oil with supplements in it to ward off allergic reactions to 'whatever' in spring time. She is allergic t fleas so is on flea preventative.
Does she have bald patches?
Just some ideas. hope this helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM

We have 3 long haired cats and 3 GSDs. Hair is a condiment in our house.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Crowned Member

We had a mild winter I don’t if that is it but I feel like first time the shepherds shed all year round. My chihuahua rarely if ever sheds.I am back to bags and had a Miele basic model for a few years. I do like it better then my dyson as it does not clog. I will use to the vacuum on Max sometimes he does not mind. A good gentle bath with a conditioner helps to loosen up fur and still wanting a blower on my lists that keep getting longer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
For the vacuum, Dyson Animal II is your friend. It's held up against our dog and doesn't show any signs of giving in--we also don't have any problem with dog fur getting stuck in the rollers or canister. It's also a good vacuum in and of itself.

For the dog, get a Furminator and brush her for a couple of minutes daily. Do one big brushing at first (5-10 minutes), then do shorter sessions (2-3 minutes) so you don't end up cutting her fur too much.
Thanks dear. It helped. I'm gromming her daily and the problem is not a routine but it just started getting tough day by day since last few days. I think I should visit my vet. Because it isn't normal shedding. There must be something that I can't sniff at the moment.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
If she is spayed, she might be shedding more compared to intact dogs. I don't understand the hygienic part. Dogs can handle a lot of filth and bacteria. Is she allergic to house mites maybe?
What helps me when Deja is shedding (aka dropping her coat) is to brush her twice a day and vacuum every day (hubby's chore). She also gets coconut oil with supplements in it to ward off allergic reactions to 'whatever' in spring time. She is allergic t fleas so is on flea preventative.
Does she have bald patches?
Just some ideas. hope this helped.
Thanks Dear. It helped definitely. I'm doing it. There's not bald patches, anyway, I'm visiting my vet to clarify the root cause.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:52 AM

Hello and welcome! I have a $20 Bissell stick vac that is a dream for my house! I say for ďmy houseĒ because it is smaller and has wood flooring, itís not that good on carpet and it would work perfectly fine in a larger house but you might have to empty it out a couple times.

Daily vacuuming or sweeping along with brushing sessions routinely is really all you can do to combat the shedding. My Rio will be a year old later this month and he is my first GSD, or even double coated dog that Iíve ever had. He never really shedded much until it started heating up outside, now oh my goodness! I brush him with an undercoat rake (I think itís a nice one and I didnít pay more than $10 for it at tractor supply) then a slicker brush (dollar tree!! Doesnít get cheaper than that!) and finally what I call a dandy brush. Thatís what we call them for horses not sure if itís different for dogs, but itís basically just like a finishing brush that gets the loose hairs off the surface. All Iím gonna say is that every bird on the property is going to have a little piece of Rio in their nests LOL
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

I use a rake that I got from Petco for the undercoat that she sheds first. The following link shows a similar one: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...-cleaning-rake .
Then I use a Kong rubber brush for the guard hair (a rake doesn't take these off) and for her belly and legs https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...om-groom-brush
These are all the tools I use for her coat. For some reason after swimming a lot of hair comes off when dry.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Administrator

The most important piece of advice I can give is that if you get a Dyson, learn how to take it apart and clean it and put it back together. There are youtube videos that are golden.

My first Dyson (DC25) lasted just shy of a decade, and now I'm on #2 (an Animal). When it seems like suction is decreasing, it's usually because there is dog hair or a dirt clod lodged somewhere in the machine. Or the filters need to be cleaned. If you keep the filters clean and understand how to take apart the head assembly, those suckers (ha... haha... sorry) do a good job. My husband made the outrageously stupid decision to suck up a winter's worth of crumbled creosote (when I wasn't home), and I thought my beloved vacuum was totally trashed..... When they overheat, they shut off. I took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together, and it's great again.

The volume of mud, wood ash, and animal hair and dander in our house is pretty gross. I killed a lot of vacuums that could not be taken apart and cleaned - once they're dead, they're junk. So for me, this works. The only other machine I like equally as well is a 30+ year old tank of a Kirby, but my mother is unwilling to part with it, alas.
Jax08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page