Dog Parent Guilt (Plus dog pics!) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Dog Parent Guilt (Plus dog pics!)

Does anyone else ever feel guilty when they have to crate or leave their dogs up for a bigger portion of the day?

Especially when you have to skip their daily trip to the park.

Ive been sick and they’ve been out periodically throughout the day for about like 30-hour at a time. But I always feel bad when they’re up and I’m home!

The reason they aren’t out is because I’m in bed with the flu and fiancé is working.

I play with them and let them sun bathe on the patio the portions they are out, but I always feel bad when I’m not able to take them to the dog park to play and run around.

They’re only up for a couple hours at a time.

I can’t leave them out because they are only 1! Still puppies and still occasionally getting into stuff especially when they are left alone together! and all they do is rough house when I leave them in the room with me so it takes away from me being able to get some quiet time.

This guilty feeling is whenever I’m out most the day or they miss a daily dog park trip. They’re never left longer then 5-6 hours in their crates on any given day and usually get 6 days of physically exercise of about an hour a day, sometimes more cause we will take an extra trip at night to the park just so they can walk around and play with each other.

Does anyone else get this way? My fiancé thinks I’m crazy cause he never feels bad and says I’m overthinking it and they’re fine. They’re mentally stimulated most of the day either at the park with other dogs, playing with each other, playing with us, or chilling chewing on their bones. He says it’s good for them to be up and chill and rest.

The worrying mother side of me always feels bad having them up when I’m home.

I may just be crazy! 😂

Included some updated pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3C59F8EE-CA1B-4EAD-ABAE-B0194A5616BF_1559962284572.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	521937   Click image for larger version

Name:	278BD96A-DD4A-4B55-B341-8D277FE154DC_1559962356771.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	521939   Click image for larger version

Name:	88FEC930-5A3A-463D-A83C-0ABB33E8D29D_1559962434321.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	521943  
atomic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Some extra pictures! Layla is the one with a darker chest and black sock feet. Odin is the bigger one worth the light brown eyes and little white chest patch! They are 1 year old now and weighing in 62 for Layla and Odin is around 75-76 and still growing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	891162B8-E724-4061-9433-8EB4AE890641_1559962468297.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	521945   Click image for larger version

Name:	10C0B30D-B3BE-4130-8FD9-CC22D2AB8958_1559962476217.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	521947   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF9DBDC3-5B3C-4108-91B0-F4F1FA5628FC_1559962489754.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	521949   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDE2C034-A27E-4906-97D2-348AC48CAE59_1559962519648.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	521951   Click image for larger version

Name:	0BAA27D0-FC9D-42CF-89D3-33BD0D790F6A_1559962544381.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	521953  

Name:	DAAC0C07-8B0F-4C80-AC26-3794072ADDCE_1559962557710.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	521955  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:46 AM

I do on occasion. My dogs are young and healthy and love love love playing outside with me. They give me those puppy dog eyes to try and stir up that, "you want to play with me, I know you do" guilt.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

Dog Parent Guilt (Plus dog pics!)

Beautiful dogs. They do adjust to whatever schedule you have. If that helps but yes they know how to pour in the guilt with their super expressive ways. MAx and Luna will lie strategically in front of the door they form their blockade and make it known how they feel about me exiting the house. Hurts every time lol! Max who is a bit more melodramatic always watching me all the time the minute we form eye contact or he gets the slightest green light he will run and get a toy to play with me he is looking always looking for an invite. Luna looking for her walks. When I do spend alone time with each and I feel guilty with that. I let one out in the back yard and go out the front door around the back gate to let them out so the other does not see! Luna and Max -
A photo my son had wrote no ball on this photo. Lo lol .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPYwT7H...d=jxwppjm2atbg

atomic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-08-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:36 AM

I have the luxury of a room for my dogs, with a doggie door leading out to the backyard, and an air conditioned dog house. My GSD has never been kenneled, but I rescued her as an adult, and she never had a destructive bone in her body. My Husky was rescued at about 8 months of age, and that monster was crated ASAP. He chews EVERYTHING. He literally chewed the frame off the door, inside and out. He ate 2 couches. I couldn’t even begin to list all the individual items he’s destroyed. So he was kenneled any time he wasn’t in eye sight of me. Sometimes that was up to 8 hours. I’d start feeling guilty, and leave him out with my GSD, and come home to chaos. He finally stopped chewing stuff inside the house after we removed everything but the couches from their room. So he went on a spree in the backyard, and literally ate 3 young trees in our backyard, and digs holes about every 6 inches from each other, and made our backyard a massive tripping hazard. Back to the crate for him! He’s just one of those dogs that turns destructive when we aren’t around. I stopped feeling guilty about kenneling him after the second couch, and after he ate half of the sprinkler system out back. So even with the perfect setup for a dog (inside and outside access at will), he still gets crated. He just can’t be trusted.

He goes to agility classes 3 times a week, an obedience class once a week, and is the smartest **** dog, smart enough to act perfect around everyone, and turn into Cujo when left alone.

I wouldn’t feel guilty, as long as they are getting exercised regularly. And yes, it sucks when you’re sick, or life has plans you weren’t aware of until it smacks you in the face, but that’s life, and they won’t suffer for it. Half the time my husky chooses his kennel himself, and goes in for a nap. He wouldn’t do that if he hated his kennel. It’s his den, and he brings toys and treats in and makes his own little world in there. I have found for him, he has to have a kennel cover, so the only part of the kennel visible is the door. He hated it when it was just the metal bars everywhere. As soon as I made the cover, he was happy as pie going in. I know some dogs prefer to have full view of everything going on, but some do prefer a less open den.

Your dogs are gorgeous, and don’t look to be lacking. Stop punishing yourself for something out of your control, and enjoy them when you can. No need to lose two couches in the process! Lol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

Sad faces either way they crave so much interaction. Yes did not see you crate then when you are home they will mature soon enough as was said no need to have anything destroyed. I found two get into some trouble even if one is trained unsupervised. Luna had to be crated at one year again for a little bit.- chewed a whole in my rug. Still even though they are now trusted in the house together remove all my loose couch pillows when I leave the house as a precaution!

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Master Member

Nice pics!

Oh yea I know the guilt.
My dog is loose in house, his dog door is available all day and leads out to our shady fenced backyard, but he spends the whole workday lying quietly in the hall right outside my office. I feel like he has a really boring life during stretches when I am on a “ cramjam” for clients. Once the deadline is over, I try to make up for the boredom with some special outings and extra long walks!

He is so quiet and patient and faithful, he makes it too easy for me to ignore him and take him for granted. I feel guilty just writing this, agh! We will go out for a walk as soon as this rain stops.

PS you are not crazy, you are empathetic. :-)

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

I love how happy they looked cuddled on the couch and on the bed! Such beautiful dogs.

My Odin is just like max. He’s constantly bringing us his ball to play. Or a toy. Sometimes we have to put his ball away because he will just drop it by our feed at stare at it until we pick it up. He did it for 10 minutes straight one day..

They’re so pure and loving it’s hard not to feel like you’re not giving them everything they deserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Beautiful dogs. They do adjust to whatever schedule you have. If that helps but yes they know how to pour in the guilt with their super expressive ways. MAx and Luna will lie strategically in front of the door they form their blockade and make it known how they feel about me exiting the house. Hurts every time lol! Max who is a bit more melodramatic always watching me all the time the minute we form eye contact or he gets the slightest green light he will run and get a toy to play with me he is looking always looking for an invite. Luna looking for her walks. When I do spend alone time with each and I feel guilty with that. I let one out in the back yard and go out the front door around the back gate to let them out so the other does not see! Luna and Max -
A photo my son had wrote no ball on this photo. Lo lol .

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPYwT7H...d=jxwppjm2atbg

wolfy dog and Jenny720 like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Two definitely get into more trouble! Odin is usually a very good boy and Layla is are naughty one. She will get into laundry, shoes, anything really randomly and Odin will go along with her but when they get into trouble he goes straight to his crate and piles on the sorry eyes. Layla just doesn’t care. She’s has always had a defiant attitude.

I do crate them. They are up anytime we aren’t home because Layla still likes to chew and get into stuff at least once a day. She’s destroyed our couch when she was a puppy and the coffee table and our tv stand. Even though she’s always had plenty of chew toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Sad faces either way they crave so much interaction. Yes did not see you crate then when you are home they will mature soon enough as was said no need to have anything destroyed. I found two get into some trouble even if one is trained unsupervised. Luna had to be crated at one year again for a little bit.- chewed a whole in my rug. Still even though they are now trusted in the house together remove all my loose couch pillows when I leave the house as a precaution!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

A bunch of years back dog owners suddenly had access to nanny cams and stuff to watch their dogs through the day. Dogs sleep, a lot! they randomly get up and wander about, get into stuff, roll on your bed, etc. But the overwhelming take away was that we feel obligated to entertain dogs that would much rather sleep.
This was further driven home when people started filming street dogs. They wander about scrounging for food, roll in gross things, wrestle on occasion and sleep.
Now working breeds sometimes get a bit neurotic but generally if they are getting ample exercise and mental stimulation they are fine.
Sabi was always ready to work and would for as many hours as I required, but she also liked to lay in the sun, roll in the grass, bite Buddy and beg for food.
No guilt here. Shadow likes her crate and is perfectly willing to sleep while I work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page