Topical flea medications - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Topical flea medications

My dog has been on oral Bravecto. It works for fleas and ticks, but gives him a terrible blisters skin condition, so I’m not going to use it anymore. The vet thinks we should switch to topical Bravecto as it only needs to be applied every three months. They think he’s allergic to something in the oral med other than the active ingredient. I’m not sure. The drug company refused to give out ingredient information on their chewable so it’s impossible to know what it might be. It’s made from pork liver and that is all I could get out of them. So, now I don’t know what to do. If I get the topical, the vet doesn’t sell it so I have to get it on my own.

They also suggested Nexgard oral tablets. I researched and found many complaints that it caused seizures in dogs. Mine hates Advantage, or anything applied to his back, plus it doesn’t work on ticks and for a while didn’t work on fleas either.

Flea collars are out because he scratches at collars and I don’t want to stress him by adding another one.

Two questions. Has anyone used Bravecto topical flea medication? If not that, does anyone have suggestions about what I could do? The vet said it’s my decision and is not giving further inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Crowned Member

How about Advantix?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

In desperation I bought this for Punk.

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/pr...oor-pet-spray/

It is amazing. I am getting eaten alive and nothing even touches her. No ants, flies, fleas, ticks. Nada. We have been camping in the bush in Northern Ontario and they don't even land on her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
How about Advantix?
Monthly. I...just...cant....

You want to come over and put it on him? He dances when I try to apply it.
tc68 likes this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
In desperation I bought this for Punk.

https://www.totallyrawdogfood.com/pr...oor-pet-spray/

It is amazing. I am getting eaten alive and nothing even touches her. No ants, flies, fleas, ticks. Nada. We have been camping in the bush in Northern Ontario and they don't even land on her.
He doesn’t like sprays either. It all goes back to poor early vet handling and vet phobia. I got him past fear of the vet but not wet things. Ear wash is the worst.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Monthly. I...just...cant....

You want to come over and put it on him? He dances when I try to apply it.
Okay, but in exchange you have to come over and do the big boy's nails and I'll even let you use a muzzle and duct tape!
tc68 and Custom Billet like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Crowned Member

Wonderficide is a spray also. They have Essential oils like lemon grass wards off bugs. All the sprays mentioned you can spray on a rag and wipe them down. Advantix works I know I don’t like to use it. In the winter I give them a break and Max got Lymes disease so they are better off with it. I can not take a chance if I miss a daily application especially tick season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:26 AM
LRP

I was using the Bravecto chewable for my 2 GSD puppies (5mth/6mth) but they still scratch, especially my long hair. I was going to switch to K9 Advantix II which also kills mosquitos which is an issue where I live during the summer. I have been touching/brushing my dogs since day one though so they will stay put long enough for me to put it on monthly as long as there is a treat involved in the end I am looking into your spray though Sabis mom.
Sabis mom likes this.

Last edited by LRP; 06-06-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 AM

For what it's worth, we use Nexgard and have had no problems with it. No scratching or seizures or anything particularly, obviously negative.

I've heard people like to use a garlic supplement (in proper doses, it's fine for large dogs and not poisonous). The garlic will seep out into the oils in the dog's coat and skin, and the smell/taste deters ticks and fleas. Bloodsucker bugs really don't like garlic.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:40 AM
Master Member

I use Bravecto and never had any issues. Never had a tick, flea yet knock on wood. I also use Wondercide and spray the patio and we use it on us. The thing about the topicals is it knocks the ticks off but does not kill which means if your dog comes inside with a tick fleas it will be in your house alive and get on you. Gross!!!! The same for the flea and tick collars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in