Collar allergy - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Blasiole View Post
Are you saying you would be breaking the law if your dogs are in a fenced yard without their tags? It only takes one time for a dog to get his collar caught on something and hang. In my county, we are required to get tags showing the dog has had a rabies shot, but I'm not aware of a law that says the dog must wear them and if there is, it is not enforced. It is tax more than anything.
If they stay in the yard and are not seen by AC itís fine, but we are obligated to have license information on them at all times. That is because there are so many irresponsible owners they passed laws that cover everyone. If a dog accidentally gets out or jumps a fence and they are not wearing both a collar and a tag, the owner is breaking the law. We donít need a rabies tag but you canít get a license without proof of vaccine. If they are caught without identification or a collar itís up to the shelter or AC to decide what to do. They might check for a chip but they might not. If they donít, you lose your dog. The dog will likely be speutered without permission. Itís not worth the risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
I don't know how y'all do it. You must have really obedient dogs. I need the collar on at all times in case I need to grab him right away. He tends to get into stuff (food) he shouldn't. Sometimes he needs to vomit and I need to move him to a spot for that (either outside or away from the rugs/carpets). Sometimes he gets into rooms that he's not allowed in. I've got a lot of animals (deer, foxes, squirrels, etc. etc. etc.) around me....and what if that one time the garage door opens and he escapes out the door without a collar and sees another dog or animal walking by? Or the door bell rings, I need the collar on to be able to grab him and remove him from the area. All situations that I need a collar to grab him. I can't grab his legs or tail or ears. He's too slippery and fast.
That is a training problem, not a collar problem. My trained WL doesnít counter surf, and usually responds to commands when I call. My rescue is more of a wild card and I would never try to handle her without a collar.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

@tc68- As a pup learning the rules of the house I used a flat collar and a long lead for Max it was very helpful but I was there to supervise. YouTube videos on “spot” or “place” , “sit on the dog” and “leave it” all helpful videos and taught without distractions and then with distractions in the most accurate times are soo beneficial in teaching the rules of house. Growing up I had not issues with leaving collars on. I have two dogs(gsds)) though that are very playful with each other and even though they sleep most of the day when I’m not home I know they play with each other - sometimes couch pillows and blankets on floor - so there is some play and zooms going on lol! and a jaw may get stuck. They are microchipped well max is Luna needs to be she has a ear tattoo if they get out. Collars not rolled leaves big dents in fur - the least important but it does. This photo it’s easy to see the irritation of Topper’s skin- because of light color - it was from his tags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 06-06-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have him in a leather collar with no tags as a test and he is still scratching a little in the morning. I wonder if it has become a habit to anything he feels on his neck.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
I have him in a leather collar with no tags as a test and he is still scratching a little in the morning. I wonder if it has become a habit to anything he feels on his neck.
I would look at the skin see if it’s red and where it’s red. If it is red there is something going on with skin sensitivity or even if it’s red from scratching it is irritating him. It’s possible he just has sensitive skin and does not like a collar - as I read in your other post (not sure if same dog)he does like advantage on his skin or the smell or both it’s possible
he has some heightened skin sensitivity from something.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
That is a training problem, not a collar problem. My trained WL doesnít counter surf, and usually responds to commands when I call. My rescue is more of a wild card and I would never try to handle her without a collar.
Exactly, that's my whole point. Your dogs are more obedient, meaning they've had the training. Mine's still young-ish at almost 17 months old. Still a work in progress. Some things he learned so quickly. Some things he even learned on his own. Then there are other things that he still hasn't gotten yet including jumping on people, countersurfing, eating things he shouldn't, etc. Besides he knows when he is "bad/wrong" because he'll run from me and look at me sheepishly. I know he's still at that adolescent stage and he's testing me. So that's why I said I can't take that collar off. I need to be able to grab him.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:36 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
@tc68- As a pup learning the rules of the house I used a flat collar and a long lead for Max it was very helpful but I was there to supervise. YouTube videos on ďspotĒ or ďplaceĒ , ďsit on the dogĒ and ďleave itĒ all helpful videos and taught without distractions and then with distractions in the most accurate times are soo beneficial in teaching the rules of house. Growing up I had not issues with leaving collars on. I have two dogs(gsds)) though that are very playful with each other and even though they sleep most of the day when Iím not home I know they play with each other - sometimes couch pillows and blankets on floor - so there is some play and zooms going on lol! and a jaw may get stuck. They are microchipped well max is Luna needs to be she has a ear tattoo if they get out. Collars not rolled leaves big dents in fur - the least important but it does. This photo itís easy to see the irritation of Topperís skin- because of light color - it was from his tags.
Yeah, I get all that. Place and leave it are works in progress. I do need a little distraction work though. And he is microchipped too. I just can't let him run loose outside of the house....PERIOD. There are too many deer, foxes, rabbits, and other animals around and he'll take off. (Yesterday in the news, a black bear was spotted in my county which is quite unusual.) Quite a few of my neighbors have dogs (all smaller) and if he ran loose and got a hold of them, I'd be in some legal problems. (Half my neighbors are lawyers.) I live in the busy suburbs just outside of DC, so he could get hit by a car too. So at that point what good would a microchip do except to identify the body. If I caught him outside, how do I bring him back without a collar? He's completely the opposite of my previous GSD. So that's why I said, this dog needs a collar on at all times. I can go on and on with other reasons but I think you get the picture.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I would look at the skin see if itís red and where itís red. If it is red there is something going on with skin sensitivity or even if itís red from scratching it is irritating him. Itís possible he just has sensitive skin and does not like a collar - as I read in your other post (not sure if same dog)he does like advantage on his skin or the smell or both itís possible
he has some heightened skin sensitivity from something.
I look and look and canít tell. The fur around his neck is very thick and I canít tell. I think itís more the feeling of something in his fur.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

@tc68 my dog is 3 but I started working on all of that by 7 months. By 12 months he was not counter surfing, usually had awesome recall and rarely jumped on me, except from behind, which was a play thing, not a training problem. I worked with a private trainer because I knew if he was out of control when he reached his full weight, I would have problems. I’ve never had a dog quite like him. He is my first working line and my first high drive dog of this type. My females have all been drivey but more prey/chase drive. I’m an experienced owner but not a perfect handler or I would not have had those problems in the first place.
tc68 likes this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
@tc68 my dog is 3 but I started working on all of that by 7 months. By 12 months he was not counter surfing, usually had awesome recall and rarely jumped on me, except from behind, which was a play thing, not a training problem. I worked with a private trainer because I knew if he was out of control when he reached his full weight, I would have problems. Iíve never had a dog quite like him. He is my first working line and my first high drive dog of this type. My females have all been drivey but more prey/chase drive. Iím an experienced owner but not a perfect handler or I would not have had those problems in the first place.
I get it. I'm on my first working line too. I thought I could do to him what I did to the previous one. Nope. So now, I feel like I'm playing catch-up in his growth and training. But it's fun and I love a challenge.

Anyway, I got off topic. This is to the OP: I used a leather collar for a while, and after a while, my dog started to scratch his neck a lot. So I changed to a different collar made of soy. No problems after that. Until the D ring on the collar snapped. So it was a perfect time to get a Tactipup collar with a handle that I've been eyeing since he was a small thing. So far no allergic reactions to this beautiful collar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page