• 1 Post By Nigel
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By Jenny720
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

1st pool session good progress

I just don't know why I worry so much about some stuff. He greeted the instructor, hesitated a little with putting on the vest but once on, his mind was on investigating so getting on deck was a non issue, willing to walk down the ramp to the water willingly to get some treats from the awaiting instructor then back up the ramp to me and safety. Lol. He did this several times but when the pool toy came out his interest peeked, stayed at the edge securing his hind legs under him while reaching for the toy with his front. Any effort was rewarded so the toy was put in reach, he grabbed it and back up the ramp.

Switched it up and from the deck I threw the toy near the instructor who was in the pool. He walked down then stopped planted his hind legs and reached. Grabbed the toy and back up to safety. But this time he was really looking forward for the throw. He wanted to go in. Really wanted it. The instructor agreed so on my next throw just as he stopped at the edge, she took hold of the handle and lifted up and forward just enough to get his hind legs floating and paddling. Swam to retrieve the toy, back up the ramp and turned eagerly waiting for another throw. We did this twice more then called it quits. Next week I bet he won't need lift-off assistance.

I only took two shots of the same position as I was to engrossed to fiddle with a phone.

1st pool session good progress-img_0574.jpg
BucksMom likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 05-29-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

Nice progress! Are you looking to do some kind of physical therapy or is this just for fun.
Heartandsoul likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:42 PM

Excellent!
Heartandsoul likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

It's basically to keep his hip as best toned as possible and provide low impact painless exercise until his ortho consult in Sept. he needs this also to help keep range of motion and limber.

It will be good also as the staff will know him well when he is ready for post surgical therapy.

I know it seems a small thing but it's been 6 years since he's been in a pool due to my botched up attempts to get him in and I never pressed him to try after until yesterday. We both had a ton of fun. He used both me and the instructor as human beach towels. He just makes me laugh hard and feel proud of him especially when we need it most.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 05-29-2019 at 08:57 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:42 PM
Crowned Member

Nice job!
Heartandsoul likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I just want to add I had an amazing experience yesterday while searching for out of the mainstream shore line to swim my boy. I noticed a little patch of grassy area at a pond that was thickly residential, there were barriers to prevent parking. across the street was a liqueur store so I stopped and parked to think about should I take him out or not. It didn't seem to be a privately owned area.

A nice looking man came out of the house next to it so I got out of the car to asked him about it. We started talking and I explained why I was looking for shore line. He offered me the use of his driveway which I took him up on. He did offer me the use of his property but it didn't seem necessary since the area was right there. The property is owned by a business and he said they wouldn't mind.

The area was littered with goose poop so not such a great spot, but I met a kind person.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah ponds can be icky good to pass. It would be a good idea if those rehab facilities had a pool that imitated more of a natural body of water - similar to the wave pool but without waves at water Parks. I think dogs with limited access to natural bodies of water would like that better who are not sold entirely on the water thing. I heard of someone who builds beaches in people’s backyards I can’t imagine the cost of that.
Heartandsoul likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page