Will our kind, loving Shepherd protect his mommy -my daughter - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Dunkirk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Will our kind, loving Shepherd protect his mommy -my daughter

I often wonder if our German Shepherd, Troy who is so good natured around everyone he comes across will become fiercesome if and when it came time to defend his mommy -my Daughter, or my son. Troy will go crazy barking at anyone who comes near our home -to the point that many people are scared. But, any soul who dares enter our house and befriend him -he immediately loves and bothers them none.. He has a wonderful temperment -and he's our third Shepherd in 30+ years. The prior two were more defensive. Perhaps because they were not raised by children (?).

my question is this: Our Son and Daughter are now 12 years old (twins) and walk Troy after Dark. We live in a nice neighborhood with no apparent reason to fear crime. Still, I wonder how much I can trust Troy to defend my kids while out walking him after dark were someone to try and harm them. He loves them like they were his parents -and they raised him from a pup. He's big now and a loveable bear -to all the childern in our neigborhood. I just wonder if he can spot evil, and defend my children -were he to be alone with them in such case.

I've been wondering this and thought I would ask for oppinions and experience.

Thanks.

-John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:14 AM
Elite Member

I wouldn't let 12 year olds out after dark to walk a dog. I just think it's an unnecessary risk, no matter how nice the neighbourhood.
Heidigsd, Jax08 and Sabis mom like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:34 AM

The bigger issue is if a friendly stranger approaches in the dark and your dog mistakes it as a dangerous one, will the 12 year old be able to handle facing the animal control board? I'd say continue with supervised dusk to dawn walks for a few more years. Or have the kids go out as a group with the dog. Not many people will mess with a trio like that.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:05 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah thinking back to when I was 12 and my friends dog probably saved us a few to many times. Iím sure itís why times are different and I would not have the kids walk at night alone even if the dog is well trained and in a good area as it does not matter. Keeps everybody safe as mentioned from other posters.
Any night walks consist of me walking with them. We have a dog for each and rotate dogs as we walk. Beautiful family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page