Harness for vehicle use - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Harness for vehicle use

What is a good harness that clicks into the seat belt (back seat) for safety if you aren't able to crate in your car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:45 AM
LRP

I just use a normal padded harness that you would use to walk them. Something strong but comfortable and I bought a short leash with seat belt click off Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great for both my GSD's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:31 AM

I've been using this one in my tiny subcompact for about 9 months: Clickit Sport - Sleepypod® | The safest pet company | Dog Carrier | Cat Carrier | Dog Harness. It restricts movement ALOT but I think it's pretty widely regarded as one of the safer ones. It is pretty expensive, ~$80. It honestly had a very steep learning curve for my dog and I. He liked to move around in the back seat a lot. With this harness on he can lie down in the seat and sit up and look out the window (tiny car though). He can't turn around or he gets tangled.

The tangling was a big issue. It took a while for him to learn he could only sit up and down in one position. I had to pull over on the road and untangle him many times. He whined about having to be in the harness a lot. We've gotten to a point now where he's comfortable in it and can fall asleep now.

Also, depending on the size of your dog and the length of your car's seatbelt it's possible the seatbelt might not be long enough to loop through the harness. I think my dog is somewhere near the limit of having a long enough seatbelt to loop through the harness effectively. I bought one of these https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/ for ~$30 but I haven't been using it lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:25 AM
Master Member

If you want something actually crash tested, I recommend the following three:

- Clickit Sport by Sleepypod (as linked above)
- Enhanced Strength Tru-Fit Harness by Kurgo
- Load Up Harness by Ruffwear

Out of the three, the Clickit is by far the safest, but it does restrict movement the most. However, you want restricted movement as it reduces chances of injury. You don't want harnesses that merely click into the seat belt buckle because they won't have the appropriate anchoring strength or reduction in movement to prevent the dog being ejected from the harness or your vehicle. Majority of damage done is from too much thrashing around or sudden movement during a crash.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:21 AM
Elite Member

If I was to replace my current harness, I'd get this one. Doesn't come with a seat belt. Located in Australia.

https://k9pro.com.au/syn-tek-harness...eid=856270d0e6

277 Heavy duty commercial stitching and stainless steel hardware.
Unaffected by temperatures between -10 c and +150 c
Look and feel like high quality leather
Soft from brand new, no break in period
Stainless steel hardware
Will not stretch or break.
Will not need maintenance, oiling, waxing or protection from any weather, EVER!
Will not attract water, mud, dirt or grit, can be used in any weather.
Super strong, approx. 40% stronger than any leather.
Light enough to use on any dog, strong enough for any dog too.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

I've used Rough Rider Roadie for years. Over 20. They hold up well, they seem to function well. I don't know if these are still available. The seatbelt slips through the harness, the buckles are for sizing and do not affect the strength of the harness - the harness webbing does that. The easy way to put them on is to disregard the directions....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:45 AM
Master Member

Does anyone know of a dog harness system that clips into the rings in the cargo area of an SUV?

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Are all these harness for seatbelts able to let them lie down naturally this was my issue with what I had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page